Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Missed whole cycle of progesterone  (Read 721 times)

Lisha

• First Flush
Missed whole cycle of progesterone
« on: July 27, 2023, 02:16:14 PM »

Hello everyone, I’m seeking advice about an error I made. I’m traveling on holiday and I completely forgot to to take my whole cycle of progesterone on days 15-28! I realized this when I noticed myself becoming increasingly irritable, paranoid, brain fog and heart palpitations at night. Im now on day 7 but I really need progesterone now and I don’t want to wait another week feeling like this, especially on my precious holiday. Can I drop feed myself 100mg per day starting now instead of waiting another week for the 200mg/ day? Has this happened to anyone? Has anyone tried this? I’m only in my third month of HRT and it’s been a game changer and I don’t want to lose the progress I’ve made. Thank you! 🙏

Hurdity

Re: Missed whole cycle of progesterone
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 07:18:23 PM »

Hi Lisha

:welcomemm:

It happens to us all - forgetting things - one of the signs of menopause!!

One thing you haven't said is where you are on the menopause journey ie what your natural periods were doing in the months leading up to starting HRT? As you are on cyclical HRt then it sounds like you are perimenopausal and that being the case those feelings you describe (eg irritability) are part of the normal cycle of pms, depending where you are in the cycle. Also what dose and type of oestrogen you are taking? The thing is, HRT doesn't normally suppress the natural cycle but just cushions the blows of the oestrogen crashes and raises the level generally to alleviate the worst (obvious) symptoms of flushes and swaeats as well as many of the others, like palpitations.

One thing is - that those symptoms are NOT because you need progesterone to prevent them. They are likely happening anyway as part of your cycle.

In answer to your question - it does depend on what you natural cycle is doing. If those feelings are a sign that a period is coming then you will be producing your own progesterone and may well bleed soon hopefully, but if not then maybe due to insufficient oestrogen on the post-ovulation crash  - impossible to say really.

You would do no harm in starting at 100 mg now but if you start bleeding don't worry!

So glad you are feeling better generally on HRT - but do remember, if you are peri-menopausal then you won;t feel perfect all the time, but hopefully better more often than not - that's the best to aim for!

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Lisha

• First Flush
Re: Missed whole cycle of progesterone
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2023, 09:04:58 AM »

Thank you so much for your advice and support! I am in perimenopause and I am now on day 8 of my cycle. I have taken 100mg of progesterone the past 2 nights and my heart palpitations and paranoia have lifted. Im feeling much better 😊