Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Waking up every morning with horrible joint pain. Suggestions?  (Read 2525 times)

loonarider

Hi,

I have been suffering and waking up with horrible joint and lower back pain (sometimes burning upper back pain when lying down too). Extremely stiff in the morning and constantly wincing and squealing when trying to get out of bed.

It's been like this moreso since I hit my 40s (I'm 45 now).

I am taking lenzetto 1.5 pumps a day and have an IUD in for progesterone. HRt had been a godsend since it's pretty much alleviated my panic attacks, shortness of breath, vertigo and all the many other symptoms. Now it's just my bones (or musculoskeletal?)

I have also booked an appointment for blood tests to make sure I'm not deficient in anything.

Ladies, I need some suggestions. Are there any supplements I can take that will help alleviate the pain? as it takes me a good while to warm up in the morning and then it's a repeat the next day. Not great when you have to get ready and go to work either.

Also feels like my sciatica is on the verge of coming back and trying to prevent this.

Been looking into glucosomine, iron tablets (since I've become pretty much pescatarian/vegetarian).

Other than that I'd say I'm pretty fit and healthy.

Just the joint pain is getting me down a lot that sometimes I'm in tears as its ruining my quality of life.

Also wonder if anything I'm consuming can be contributing to joint pain. Lots of questions and it's difficult getting an appointment to chat to a GP when you need it these days!

Open to any suggestions x
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 11:29:06 AM by loonarider »

loonarider

Re: Waking up every morning with horrible joint pain
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 11:28:46 AM »

Also wonder if I should up my oestrogen.

Aged 45 on 1.5 sprays does not sound like much and ihe been on this dose for a good few years now. Maybe I should increase the dose?

Flossieteacake

Re: Waking up every morning with horrible joint pain. Suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 11:52:59 AM »

I would try and increase your oestrogen. Often aches and pains are due to low oestrogen. It is worth a try.

SarahT

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 01:33:01 PM »

Hiya,

I am having the same difficulties myself and they are worsening. Mornings are awful in particular. Also worse after physical activites. My joints hurt and my muscles seem stuff and weak. Like you I have a healthy diet and exercise as best I can.

I do take evening primrose oil capsules ( Boots do a vegan one, so no gelatine) and I used ground flax seed mixed into the daily youghurt.

I do now have osteoarthritis in both hips and am undergoing tests via gp to work our what is going on. For many upping their hrt does make a difference. I would definitely have a word with your g.p as tweaking your hrt may indeed help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 02:12:07 PM »

Pain is a warning.  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

If 1 is doing a lot of exercise, maybe take pain relief an hour B4?  OA is due to normal wear and tear on the weight bearing joints, remembering that the head weighs a lot and impacts all the way down the spine.  Always check foot wear!!! flip flops do not do the body any favours.  Sandals need to be tightly fitting, we don't have to consider clumpy foot wear but should buy appropriately.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 08:26:05 PM »

Hi
Supplements for joint pain that I know about are collagen and msm.
If you decide to take any of these I would suggest collagen powder as opposed to tablets/capsules (and I think it's the bovine one for joint pains, a Google search will clarify).
MSM in powder form, a good one is Dr's Best. There is a way to check the quality of the powder, I cant remember exactly how you do it, but there's a youtube on it.

loonarider

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 02:51:26 PM »

Hi
Supplements for joint pain that I know about are collagen and msm.
If you decide to take any of these I would suggest collagen powder as opposed to tablets/capsules (and I think it's the bovine one for joint pains, a Google search will clarify).
MSM in powder form, a good one is Dr's Best. There is a way to check the quality of the powder, I cant remember exactly how you do it, but there's a youtube on it.

Hello,

Thank you! What is msm?

loonarider

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 02:52:05 PM »

Hiya,

I am having the same difficulties myself and they are worsening. Mornings are awful in particular. Also worse after physical activites. My joints hurt and my muscles seem stuff and weak. Like you I have a healthy diet and exercise as best I can.

I do take evening primrose oil capsules ( Boots do a vegan one, so no gelatine) and I used ground flax seed mixed into the daily youghurt.

I do now have osteoarthritis in both hips and am undergoing tests via gp to work our what is going on. For many upping their hrt does make a difference. I would definitely have a word with your g.p as tweaking your hrt may indeed help.

Thank you for the advice! I've just ordered EP oil. I'm desperate! Xx

loonarider

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 02:53:47 PM »

Pain is a warning.  As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

If 1 is doing a lot of exercise, maybe take pain relief an hour B4?  OA is due to normal wear and tear on the weight bearing joints, remembering that the head weighs a lot and impacts all the way down the spine.  Always check foot wear!!! flip flops do not do the body any favours.  Sandals need to be tightly fitting, we don't have to consider clumpy foot wear but should buy appropriately.

Hi CKLD,

Thank you. Definitely upping the oestrogen. As far as shoes go. I live in comfy shoes, rarely a high or even mid heel woman. Live in Dr Martens and sneakers! Still stuck in the 90s grunge era  ;D

SarahT

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 07:25:00 PM »

Love my sneakers too! Can get a bit of an obsession.... ;D give me a dress, some Converse and pretty jewellery and I am more me that in any thing else!

VioletAquarius

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2023, 10:40:15 PM »

Hi loonarider

MSM is a powdered supplement that contains sulphur and anti-inflammatory. It helps with a lot of things and is considered very safe, apparently as safe as drinking water.

Do a Google search and it will tell you all the good things that it helps with.