Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fluoxetine for peri anxiety  (Read 2876 times)

Losingtheplot

Fluoxetine for peri anxiety
« on: July 26, 2023, 05:04:00 AM »

Hi everyone I have been taking a low dose of Fluoxetine to help alongside my HRT for anxiety the past few days my hubby has been complaining that I have been twitching alot on a night disturbing his sleep and that this it is getting worse. I know in past this has happened but mainly if I have increased my dose. I have only been on the Ads since may 1 x 20mg daily but have taken them in the past for many years. I had a break of a year from them but was put back on them by GP due to peri anxiety symptoms.
Does anyone else take these Ads and get same side effects.
My options are to try a diff Ad but again bound to be side effects and this Ad suits me although I am unsure if the HRT or other supplements I take are helping and the Ads are a placebo as when I started to take them again I didnt feel depressed but was having panic attacks and intense anxiety.
Thanks for reading ladies

Penguin

Re: Fluoxetine for peri anxiety
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 05:54:51 AM »

Hi Losingtheplot, I haven't tried that particular AD but, if you're not twitching during the day, could you possibly try taking at a different time? It may be something that only happens during sleep.

Losingtheplot

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 06:14:32 AM »

Hi Penguin,

Thanks for replying I take the AD on a morning

SarahT

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 06:34:59 AM »

Just sending a  :hug:  xx

Losingtheplot

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 06:37:10 AM »

Thank you Sarah T xxxx
I think I will need to make an appointment with my GP as this side effect is one that just gets worse over time and not better - I have done some research and muscles spasms are very common in SSRI's.

Its a shame as it helps me but maybe something else can too

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 07:11:45 AM »

I take 20mg fluoxetine every morning and I get jerks and kicks of my legs at night that my husband tells me about and occassionally they wake me.
We actually thought it was a different cause, but it's currently the only tablet I'm taking orally, my HRT is transdermal and vaginal now, so maybe fluoxetine is the cause?
When I think of other times I've been on it, I think yes, there is a connection.
In my case it doesn't seem to go away in time.

meno-mel

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 07:21:43 AM »

I have done some research and muscles spasms are very common in SSRI's.
My GP gives me baclofen to keep in the house, then when I get bad spasms I can take up to three a day. I don't know if that is an option, it depends how badly you need the prozac, I need it enough that treating the side effects is worth it even though the whites of my eyes go yellow on baclofen! (More often I just use certain herbs which do a good job against muscle spasms when smoked ;))

Losingtheplot

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2023, 11:13:05 AM »

Hey thanks for the reply i didnt want to ideally taken anymore pills but will discuss the pills you mention with my Gp I hope to wean off Ads in a few months and continue just taking some supplements which I feel are helping control the anxiety or the HRT is but time would tell if it when I stopped the Ads the awful symptoms returned but I will remain hopeful thanks again very useful info xx

Katherine

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2023, 05:35:57 PM »

Hi losingtheplot,

If the prozac suits you I would stay on it as I remember how you were feeling before and it can be difficult to find one that suits you. Does the twitching bother you? Sending hugs x

Losingtheplot

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2023, 08:20:13 PM »

Hi Katherine
It bothers my hubby as it wakes him up. He said its got worse as weeks have gone on and some mornings I wake up exhausted as he shakes me awake during the night when its really bad.
So fed up. Not gonna take the Ads for a few days to see if that has any effect. Otherwise I have an appointment with GP next Wed. I told hubby if stopping the Ads stops the twitches and jerks I will have to come off them just hope my mental health doesnt nose dive other option is separate beds!

Katherine

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2023, 10:37:16 PM »

My partner snores so we sleep in separate beds often, we have a snuggle before and after sleep so it works well as we both get a good sleep and then in a better mood the next day. You could try it, it’s no big deal, loads of people do it, you’re asleep anyway. It would be a shame to come off the ads when they are helping you so muchxxx

meno-mel

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 07:57:15 AM »

I'd echo Katherine here, when my legs twitch my husband either puts up with it or goes and sleeps in one of the rooms vacated by our kids in recent years. He knows how poor my sleep has been in the past, I was driven into a poor mental state by lack of sleep when our kids were babies, I'd be on autopilot and take it out on him too. Thing is for those of us who suffer depression quite easily it's a vicious circle. A good night's sleep can even bring me out of my depression if lack of sleep was a contributing factor.
I've criticised my husband for many failings, but one thing he doesn't do is wake the dragon, me. To wake me from a sleep of any depth is to invite the fire breathing demons from hell into our bedroom. I will be absolutely furious. I sleep very well or not at all, but if he wakes me up, he's in trouble and I don't even know what I'm saying, I'll tell him to frick off forever etc  ;D Luckily he loves me and after a day or two starts speaking to me again ::)
It has no effect on our sex life at all because that tends to be like yesterday, we were having morning coffee, got joking about and ended up at it. I hope that isn't tmi for here! My point is we don't do the "tired sex at the end of the day" anyway and we don't usually wake together, one will wake first and creep out of the bedroom.
The main thing I miss is having a warm body to cuddle after getting up for my 3am pee!
It's got to be said his snoring is so bad I wear headphones all night ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 05:23:57 AM by meno-mel »

Losingtheplot

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2023, 08:08:25 AM »

I know ladies its just got me in a position where I feel I have to stop the Ads to see if that is the cause.  Obv the single beds will have to be the option if needs be.  We will need to go and buy some.  I am stopping the Ad for next few days until my GP appointment on Wed so can then discuss options hopefully.

I just don't want to suffer bad anxiety like before as I feel in a good place at the min

SarahT

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2023, 08:18:49 AM »

Maybe worth thinking a change of AD that doesn't have that side effect?
Sleep is vital, even with medication my sleep is very disturbed with the lovely hot\cold duvet on\ duvet off fight I have each night and join pain. The my husband's joint pain and snoring.... Mirtazapine I also me a lot sleep wise. Am on a tiny dose as I find it strong and my moods are a lot more stable so far too.
Like meno -mel my own husband knows I am nasty in The morns, so best left alone rather than risk a verbal lashing out. Rest of the day I am sweetness itself of course.... ;)
I know the AD does help support you, and you naturally  have a fear of going backwards if you cease. I would definitely discuss this at your appt.
Btw if we had separate rooms to sleep I would use it. I adore the intimacy of simply being in bed together, but sleep is vital to both physical and mental health.

Take care lovely xx

Losingtheplot

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2023, 09:42:03 AM »

Maybe worth thinking a change of AD that doesn't have that side effect?
Sleep is vital, even with medication my sleep is very disturbed with the lovely hot\cold duvet on\ duvet off fight I have each night and join pain. The my husband's joint pain and snoring.... Mirtazapine I also me a lot sleep wise. Am on a tiny dose as I find it strong and my moods are a lot more stable so far too.
Like meno -mel my own husband knows I am nasty in The morns, so best left alone rather than risk a verbal lashing out. Rest of the day I am sweetness itself of course.... ;)
I know the AD does help support you, and you naturally  have a fear of going backwards if you cease. I would definitely discuss this at your appt.
Btw if we had separate rooms to sleep I would use it. I adore the intimacy of simply being in bed together, but sleep is vital to both physical and mental health.

Take care lovely xx

Thanks hunni I think it has just got so bad now that I am being shook awake several times a night by hubby and then I nod back off again.  He does snore but I plug ear plugs in there is isnt anything he can do to get away from me thrashing my legs etc. See what Gp says x
You take care too xxx
Pages: [1] 2