Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Max days of utrogestan in peri allowed?  (Read 1106 times)

Penguin

Max days of utrogestan in peri allowed?
« on: July 24, 2023, 06:36:21 PM »

Hi
Without a doubt I feel better when I'm taking utrogestan on days 15-26 - calmer, less anxious, no digestive issues. I'd really like to take it for longer on a regular basis, and in particular start it earlier in the cycle. Anyone in peri take utrogestan for more than the usual 12 days or know what the max days I could take it for without harm / messing up my bleeding schedule? Am on day 10 now and would really like to start sooner if possible.
Thanks

sheila99

Re: Max days of utrogestan in peri allowed?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 07:01:28 PM »

Would taking it 25/28 days be an option? It's supposed to be useful in late peri but I don't know how soon would be too soon.

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 07:03:51 PM »

Thank you! I'd be happy with that as an option! I don't think I'm in late peri though, my bleeds are still so predictable, between 26-31 days. They were spaced like this even before starting hrt in December and haven't changed. Would I have to have much bigger gaps to be considered late peri?

alibeau

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 07:28:43 PM »

Hi Penguin,

I have no idea where I am in terms of early, late peri etc.

I’m 51 and have been on Oestrogel and utrogestan for over 12 months.

In the early days I did not like the utrogestan phase at all but grew to love it and was advised I can take the two tablets for 14 nights out of 28 if I preferred, instead of the recommended 12 nights.

This worked well for me.

However I have recently been advised to change the utrogestan to one tablet every night continuously, I queried this with the nurse as the patient leaflet states 25 nights out of 28 and I’m waiting to hear back from her.

So in a nutshell there seem to be a couple of variations on dose and pattern of taking it depending on where you are in your meno journey.

Ali x

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 06:57:47 AM »

Thanks, I think I'll start a couple of days early this month, on day 13 instead of 15, and then speak to the GP when I have my next appointment. Do you know if it is still 2 x 100mg if used continuously or do they lower the dose?

alibeau

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 08:03:20 AM »

Thanks, I think I'll start a couple of days early this month, on day 13 instead of 15, and then speak to the GP when I have my next appointment. Do you know if it is still 2 x 100mg if used continuously or do they lower the dose?

I was told to lower the dose to 1 x 100mg nightly if used continuously or for 25 out of 28 nights and I think this is stated on the patient leaflet too.

HTH x

Sue1972

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 08:40:48 AM »

I take 2 tablets for 14 days as I find it easier to start on the same day every 2 weeks.

I had to speak to my meno nurse about another matter last week and she mentioned that there was new guidance coming out and I would potentially have to take more utrogestan. So I am waiting to hear from her about that.

This is maybe why Alibeau you have been asked to take it continuously. I also know that when you are not having periods anymore you are also supposed to have one tablet a day rather than 2 over 12 days.

alibeau

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 08:51:31 AM »

I take 2 tablets for 14 days as I find it easier to start on the same day every 2 weeks.

I had to speak to my meno nurse about another matter last week and she mentioned that there was new guidance coming out and I would potentially have to take more utrogestan. So I am waiting to hear from her about that.

This is maybe why Alibeau you have been asked to take it continuously. I also know that when you are not having periods anymore you are also supposed to have one tablet a day rather than 2 over 12 days.

Hi Sue,

The nurse said I should change my regime given that I had been on Oestrogel and Utrogestan for over 12 months and that I was only having light bleeds each month….

Ali x

Sue1972

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 08:56:18 AM »

Hi Alibeau,

My nurse did ask if I had been having any bleeding which I have not but I have not had a bleed for many years due to the birth control I was taking. I am almost 51 but I now believe I probably started peri when I was 42 due to the symptoms I was experiencing that no one recognised as peri at the time!

I suspect I may be put onto 1 tablet a day like you.

Please let me know how it goes for you. x

alibeau

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2023, 09:07:18 AM »

Will do.

I’m just a bit reluctant to change when I am pretty settled on my current regime. I’ve had quite a few ups and downs but as I say I’m ok at the moment….

I’ll keep you posted!

Ermin2trude

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2023, 10:33:56 AM »

Hello,

I am still peri, was taking utrogestan days 14-28 but because the withdrawal from utrogestan was awful (6 day migraines), I was put onto a continuous regime. I still take 200mg a night to control/stop any breakthrough bleeding. I had a hysteroscopy recently and lining etc all good. So in answer to your question, yes you can have utrogestan longer than you have been prescribed during peri.

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2023, 10:47:45 AM »

Just as another idea Penguin and this is off the top of my head, I don't know if it's allowed, might be worth asking.
If you took 200mg a day most of the time then dropped to 100mg for a few days to trigger a bleed or to coincide with your period, then back up to 200mg towards the end of the bleed without any days going without it. That way it hopefully it wouldn't mess up your bleeding pattern.

Penguin

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2023, 01:47:08 PM »

Sue1972 do you know if the new guidance will apply to everyone in peri or only those over a certain age / when periods have changed a lot?

Penguin

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2023, 01:50:54 PM »

Thanks everyone,  sounds like there are options even in peri!

Meno-mel I like that idea or even just doing 25/28. I find the cliff drop when I stop the utrogestan at day 26 truly awful, sends me spiralling downwards and I am sure there is at that point too big a gap between my estrogen and progesterone levels which makes the first part of new cycle so bad. I don't start feeling better again until I add the utrogestan back in and then that calms everything down again.

Penguin

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2023, 01:52:08 PM »

Ermin2trude thata good to know as a possibility. Have you found any downside to taking the 200mg every night?
Pages: [1] 2