Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Desperately need reassurance that this will end  (Read 7046 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Desperately need reassurance that this will end
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2023, 05:44:55 PM »

If U feel ill mayBe ease off your regime.  Keeping a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress. 

Which symptom would you like to ease first? 

lilbebel

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2023, 08:32:18 PM »

I keep a detailed daily journal, and I’ve noticed my emotional state deteriorating for the past three months with the continued use of HRT. Really, I can take hot flushes and physical stuff more easily than the emotional lability and depression/anxiety. I just want to feel recognisably me. I don’t expect to be perfect and my instinct is to slowly take less hormones and see how I am at baseline. I honestly don’t think I could feel worse than I’m feeling right now on hormones and it’s been six months so I’ve given it a fair chance.

Sallyyy

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2023, 10:35:07 PM »

Lilbebel how are you doing now.
(I haven’t dared try HRT because I’m struggling so much with anxiety / depression. I two years after my last period.)

lilbebel

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2023, 11:04:00 PM »

Hello everyone, I thought I would check in and also answer Sallyyy’s question. So, I halved my dose of HRT and lasted four days. By the fourth day, I was in a very bad way. My physical symptoms started to come back and my mental health was worse than when I was on HRT if that’s possible. My husband and I realised that HRT is not going to be a perfect solution for me and it doesn’t make everything magically better, but I am better on it than not on it. I was a complete mess with a lot of physical symptoms coming back as well as debilitating anxiety and panic attacks. This is so hard. It was very helpful for me to do that little experiment though. It reminded me of why I went on HRT in the first place.
Sallyyy as someone who has been prone to anxiety and depression throughout my life (though what I’m going through now is it an entirely different beast), I truly understand your reluctance. I can’t tell you if it’s the right thing for you or not. It’s a very personal decision. I would just say that even though the difference is marginal, I am better on it than not. I’m hoping with the time I’ll get the right dosage and delivery method and things might improve. Why does nature do this to women?

Flossieteacake

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2023, 09:57:27 AM »

At least you know the HRT is helping you although not as much as you would hope. Like you, I am better on HRT then off it but I still have meno symptoms. I know that celebrities say they feel wonderful on it but I have not noticed many of us feel that way.

lilbebel

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2023, 02:55:44 AM »

Flidieteacake I love that you pointed out about celebrities. When I read about their wonderful success stories, I feel like a failure. When I’m in forums with real life women, I see that I’m not so atypical. I wish celebrities would deliver a more realistic message so we don’t feel we have an impossible standard to live up to.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2023, 10:04:30 AM »

Flidieteacake I love that you pointed out about celebrities. When I read about their wonderful success stories, I feel like a failure. When I’m in forums with real life women, I see that I’m not so atypical. I wish celebrities would deliver a more realistic message so we don’t feel we have an impossible standard to live up to.

Aw, never compare yourself to celebrities. They seem to have the best experiences possible and I suspect the ones who do not, never talk about it. You are not a failure in anyway. You cannot help how you feel.

lilbebel

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2023, 03:32:06 PM »

Aw, never compare yourself to celebrities. They seem to have the best experiences possible and I suspect the ones who do not, never talk about it. You are not a failure in anyway. You cannot help how you feel.
[/quote]

Thank you, and you are absolutely right.

Sallyyy

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2023, 10:44:03 PM »

I’m so sorry Lilbebel - I’ve only just seen your reply. Thank you for answering me. I hope things have settled for you.

Glitterbox

• First Flush
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2023, 06:59:49 PM »

Have you ever considered trying acupuncture for your anxiety? After struggling with anxiety and insomnia, I feel like my old self after starting with acupuncture  :)

Shorty Pants

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2023, 12:35:29 PM »

I've joined this amazing forum this week and your post resonated with me lilbebel.  I too am on a mission to come off HRT.  I have been on progesterone pill twice in the past for contraception and both times was a blubbering, non-functioning wreck within 2 weeks. I now have a mirena coil (3rd one) and whilst it hasn't had such a profound effect, I do feel it has still has a negative effect on my mood. (Plus the weight gain)

I just wanted to send some love and hugs your way.  This forum is the first realistic one I've found where everyone isn't evangelical about HRT. I do think it's the first line of treatment for 'ladies of a certain age' and this is all wrong.  I've just tried to come off my patches, but had to go back on a v small amount after a week due to awful rebound side effects.  I'm going to try again from this point once things settle.  I think there's a life-long medicalisation of women going on here, that for many people, only serves the interests of the pharmaceutical industry - and where we're blamed if it doesn't work.  Rant over!  ;D

Nick34

• First Flush
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2023, 01:33:42 PM »

I e just found this on Harvard Health

Antidepressants and arrhythmias

May 1, 2013
A research team at Harvard-affiliated Massachusetts General Hospital has verified that several antidepressants may increase the risk of a potentially dangerous heart rhythm disturbance (arrhythmia). By examining the electrocardiograms (ECGs) of more than 38,000 people taking 11 different antidepressants, they confirmed that higher doses of citalopram (Celexa), amitriptyline (Elavil), and escitalopram (Lexapro) were associated with a slight disruption of the electrical function of the heart. This delay as seen on an ECG is known as a prolonged Q-T interval, and it is a risk factor for an arrhythmia that causes sudden death.

Although the majority of people with this ECG abnormality never develop an arrhythmia, the researchers cautioned that people taking these antidepressants should discuss the risk with their doctor. The researchers emphasized that no one with a history of arrhythmias should start taking these medications. Instead, such a patient might try one of the antidepressants that do not increase the Q-T interval: fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), or buproprion (Wellbutrin).

Have you tried Prozac , paroxetine Sertraline or bupropion?

lilbebel

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2023, 08:02:33 PM »

Nick34, thank you for looking into that. It’s all quite recent regarding the warnings about ADs and heart risk. I’ve been carefully monitored for a few years. Prozac has been updated with black box warnings for QT prolongation. The only two options my cardiologist will consider are Zoloft and Paxil. I tried Zoloft and it was horrific and Paxil is something I won’t take for various reasons after careful research. I can’t take Wellbutrin as it’s contraindicated for me for another medical reason. I’m a pharma anomaly. There is a LONG list of things I can’t take.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 08:08:24 PM by lilbebel »

lilbebel

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2023, 08:04:15 PM »

Glitter box, yes, I’ve been having a cup for two years now, it doesn’t help too much though in my case. I’m glad it is supporting you.

lilbebel

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2023, 08:11:28 PM »

Shorty pants, love gratefully received and being sent back to you. 🤗
I agree with everything you said. For now though, I realize I’m a wee bit better on HRT than off. Still feel like 💩 but I function better. Just feel so lost and not like myself on and off it. I wish you well and hope you find some reprieve.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4