Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan advice please  (Read 1661 times)

purplebee

Utrogestan advice please
« on: July 23, 2023, 03:40:25 PM »

Hi Ladies, Strange as this may sound. I am on Evorel Conti (Low dose). I have so much trouble with sleeplessness (I guess it's insomnia). I take a sleeping pill but I get a couple of hours at most then wake up.  I read somewhere that Utrogestan helps enormously with sleep problems so I called my GP and asked him what he thought about me taking it alongside my Conto. He got back to me and said he had spoken to a Gyno colleague of his and he said he saw no problems with me taking Utro alongside my Evorel C. I started 4 days ago and I took it orally for the 1st 3 days. I have definitely been sleeping a deeper sleep but but yesterday I felt really tired and spaced out not pleasant at all. I took it vaginally last night and feel more altert today. I have a couple of questions please.. can you take it vaginally one night and orally the next (has anyone tried this?) or is it better to stick to the one regime? It's a shame I felt awful yesterday because it does help with sleep. Any suggestion would be really helpful. Thank you.

discogirl

Re: Utrogestan advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 03:50:21 PM »

Hi purplebee,

I'm no expert, but I would like to try and help.

I just wondered as your on evorel conti and also utrogestan if you might be having too much progesterone? (again I'm no expert so more experienced ladies will be along with better suggestions probably)

But I wondered if you may not be better on an estrogen only patch and then take the utrogestan.

I don't see why you couldn't take it vaginally one night and orally the next, although for me personally I've always felt consistency was the key for me.

I hope you get sorted and sorry I couldn't have been of more help xxx

purplebee

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 04:08:18 PM »

Hi Discogirl and thank you for your reply. I have been on Evorel Conti for around 20 years and it suits me. My GP and his Colleague seem fine with me doing this for a good nights sleep.. I guess in the end it's all trial and error with HRT in it's many forms.

discogirl

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 05:32:00 PM »

hi purplebee

it really is trial and error.

for me utrogestan never helped me with sleep but with other ladies it really helps them.

sorry i couldnt have been of more help.

take care xxx

purplebee

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 11:07:21 AM »

Hi Discogirl, Thank you for your replies, you are helpful! I've posted here before and you have given great advice   :)

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 05:40:35 PM »

It's just what I've learned by the lovely ladies on here xxx

Furyan

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 08:58:27 PM »

Hi Ladies, Strange as this may sound. I am on Evorel Conti (Low dose). I have so much trouble with sleeplessness (I guess it's insomnia). I take a sleeping pill but I get a couple of hours at most then wake up.  I read somewhere that Utrogestan helps enormously with sleep problems so I called my GP and asked him what he thought about me taking it alongside my Conto. He got back to me and said he had spoken to a Gyno colleague of his and he said he saw no problems with me taking Utro alongside my Evorel C. I started 4 days ago and I took it orally for the 1st 3 days. I have definitely been sleeping a deeper sleep but but yesterday I felt really tired and spaced out not pleasant at all. I took it vaginally last night and feel more altert today. I have a couple of questions please.. can you take it vaginally one night and orally the next (has anyone tried this?) or is it better to stick to the one regime? It's a shame I felt awful yesterday because it does help with sleep. Any suggestion would be really helpful. Thank you.

Hi - I’ve recently experimented with this, as I increased my patch and needed to increase utro. I found that oral every day isn’t enough (I bleed) and vaginally every day is too much (spaced out, breathless, dizzy, weak etc). So I alternated between oral and vaginal every day. It does control the bleeding but the symptoms of excess were immediate and remain. It has compromised my daily activities due to the sudden breathlessness it brought on. Like some other ladies, I’ve decided to try cyclogest because I think I’m through with utrogestan, unless someone can suggest a better way for me to try taking it.

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 09:32:11 AM »

You would normally have either evorel conti or the evorel oestrogen only patch with utrogeston, using conti with utro gives you double the progesterone you need and possibly more than your body can cope with. I would ask for oestrogen only evorel patches and try them alongside the utrogeston. For some women (including me) utro makes them dopey in the day. You can try alternating the way you take it and see what happens. If you're particularly sensitive it may trigger a bleed as they say you get less orally than vaginally as some is lost in the digestive process.

purplebee

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 10:25:42 AM »

I am using just over half a patch so the progesterone part is low. I stopped my HRT a couple of  months ago to see if I still had symptoms.. I have done this every so often over the years. It turned out I did and the night sweats came back badly.. so, I started using it again, but only half a patch (25mcg) I am in the process of upping my patch (very slowly). I am trying different ways of taking Utrogestan and because I know how sensitive I am to breakthroughs. I took it vaginally on Saturday and skipped Sunday and I felt fine. Took it last night orally and feel heavy again. So, I will take it vaginally every other day. We are all different and if this continues to work for me that's great as I know I need more oestrogen. Then I think I will ask my GP to put me on an Oestrogen patch only. When I have used a fill 50mcg it was far too strong for me and I had to cut back. Sorry for the long post but at my age I have to start getting it right.