Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Not sure if this is the perimenopause  (Read 759 times)

Eastside

Not sure if this is the perimenopause
« on: July 23, 2023, 09:38:16 AM »

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum so I hope you're all doing ok. I'm trying to figure out if I could be in perimenopause. I'm 49. My periods are more or less regular still (the occasional blip). I am sweating at night, but not drenched as they usually describe night sweats. I would say light sweating. Could that still count, or be the early stages? I've always been prone to anxiety and mood deregulation, but this has got far, far worse, and pms is also much worse. I've also been prone to light sleeping, but now often spend hours awake at night, and my nervous system is also more easily activated. I've had a stressful few years, and had to move into a shared house, which I'm sure doesn't help, but it seems to have coincided with these strange new things. It's so hard to get answers as all the info about perimenopause just goes on about irregular periods and hot flushes. So I wondered if anyone could identify with any of this? Thank you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Not sure if this is the perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 10:34:54 AM »

Yep. Sounds like peri-menopause from where I'm sitting.  :welcomemm:  Most of us thought that menopause is loss of periods and hot sweats, many GPs seem to think so too.  Many think that women can be 'too young' but that is simply not true.

However: as oestrogen levels fall in the 10+ years prior to reaching menopause: literally the last monthly bleed: many odd symptoms can appear  >:(  ::). My periods waxed and waned for years B4 stopping in 2002.  Some bleeds were normal, others light with gaps of months in-between or a run of 'normal' cycle.  At least the clots and excruciating pains went.

Some find that keeping a mood/symptom/food diary of use to chart progress.  Stress can certainly raise awareness of the oddities experienced. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 11:29:17 AM »

Hello Eastside and welcome to the forum. I also think your symptoms sound like perimenopause. You do not have to have really heavy sweats and some people do not have hot flushes at all. I mainly have cold ones. :)

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 11:52:04 AM »

:welcomemm:
Another one who thinks it's peri...

Eastside

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2023, 02:18:00 PM »

Thanks so much. It's just hard to get advice without paying £290 for a private doctor. I was keeping a chart at one point, but it seemed a bit all over the place, but I definitely think I'll try that again. I was actually prescribed hrt as I nagged my GP so much about my mental health, so I guess it might be time to try that too. Though I'm normally very adverse to prescribed medicines. But I've tried Kalms, CBD oil etc and nothing. Thanks very much again

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 03:27:04 PM »

Hormones are natural and as we age the levels drop off: progesterone, oestrogen and testosterone.  Keeping a diary will show you what might be cyclical .......

Which symptom would you like to ease first?

Eastside

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 04:41:58 PM »

Thank you! I agree a diary is a good idea. I'm really trying to establish if this could be the perimenopause at this stage. For example, I am sweating in the night, but most info just talks about night sweats as being drenched in sweat. But I don't get that. Also my periods seem to be pretty regular still. But my moods have changed and my sleeping is worse. And pms is worse. But I'll try monitoring it for the next month. Thank you

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2023, 07:55:12 PM »

Peri is as long as a piece of string  ::).  It's 'within normal limits' for you at this stage. 

When does the PMS affect you?  This is usually in the 10-14 days prior to a period beginning and stops immediately the bleed starts.  As hormone levels rise and fall PMS might be felt at different times. 

How is your diet?  NAPS advised me to eat every 3 hours, 24/7 - even in the night if I woke up.  [National Association for Premenstrual Syndrome].  My puppy at the time soon knew that there were biscuits by the bed after she had been out in the early hours to P  ;D