Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New to group having hysterectomy this week - advice please  (Read 1267 times)

JKnight

• First Flush
New to group having hysterectomy this week - advice please
« on: August 14, 2023, 11:51:06 AM »

Hi All. Hope you’re having a nice day. I joined the group as I’m having a hysterectomy/oophorectomy this week so will go straight into menopause. Any hints, tips or general advice would be much appreciated. Thank you 😊

JKnight

• First Flush
Re: New to group having hysterectomy this week - advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 11:52:58 AM »

I should add that I’m 48 (today!) and have fibroids, adenomyosis etc which have given me anaemia for 6 years so I’m excited about the op. Taking oestrogel already and plan to increase dose post op.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 11:54:52 AM »

Morning.  Did your Consultant not discuss any HRT requirements that you might need? 

Browse round.  Let us know how old you are:  OK so  :cake: :cupcake: : and if you don't fancy that, there are plenty on here that will help out ;-). 

I will advise that you have a nightie that buttons up/down, not a pull over the head design because the body may be sore after all that prodding! Do U have someone to look after you on your return as you will be advised not to lift.  Perhaps get some food into the freezer if you haven't already thought that far ahead.

As well as advice from here, there is a group which I think are called 'hystersisters'.  Ask away.   :foryou:

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 12:52:47 PM »

Hi JKnight. Happy Birthday  :foryou:

I'm sure the hysterectomy will make such a difference to your quality of life. Which type are you having?  Follow all of the guidance given to you and take it as easy as possible. It's easy to forget that there is a lot of healing going on in your body especially if you have vaginal or laparoscopic where there is little "surface" evidence to show that you have had major surgery. Do you know why you are having your ovaries removed? Many surgeons take them out as a matter of course. I had a hysterectomy in 2014 due to prolapse but kept my ovaries after questioning the consultants decision to remove them. Even post meno they still secrete some hormone. It's good that you are already on HRT and that you can tweak this if necessary. The only problem I had straight after was with my bladder which went into "shock" and wouldn't work properly for a week. It is very common so if this happens to you please don't worry. I also had to have longer off work than was first suggested due to a couple of vaginal infections. Check with your car insurance providers too as to their own rules on when you can drive again. They are not all the same as I found out. Also, get advice as to when you can start pelvic floor exercises - these are very important after hysterectomy as the removal of the womb means that a lot of support of other organs is lost. Overall the actual operation was all far less painful than I thought it would be and only a two night stay in hospital too.

Let us know how you get on.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

jaypo

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 01:14:15 PM »

Happy  birthday and welcome the forum  :)
Just wanted to say good luck with the op, I felt amazingly well after my hysterectomy also due to fibroids,was the best decision I made. Make sure you find out about help afterwards,as you will likely need help if you go straight to menopause x

Wrensong

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 04:06:30 PM »

Hi JKnight,  :welcomemm: & happy birthday!
I'm another who's had hysterectomy & BSO.  I agree with Taz's very good advice on taking recovery v seriously, as it's easy to underestimate the amount of work that's been done if your visible wounds are tiny as a result of a laparoscopic procedure.  Ditto asking about the timing of resuming pelvic floor exercises which are very important for your future wellbeing.

If you are having BSO you will probably benefit from adding testosterone to your HRT regimen, as intact ovaries go on producing significant amounts of this hormone into old age & it has widespread beneficial effects, beyond those it's renowned for such as libido & sexual function.  I would discuss this with whoever prescribes your HRT if it hasn't already been raised.

Can I ask are they taking your cervix as well?  I assume no known endometriosis despite the adenomyosis?

Given the heavy bleeds you must have endured & the consequent anaemia I'm sure your QOL will be much improved for the op & I wish you all the best for your recovery.
Wx

mandss

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 05:51:59 PM »

Hiya mate, I am 9 month post op, TLH BSO. Went private in Norfolk. Best thing I ever did. Start pelvic floor exercises as soon as you can. top up on fibre now, as going to the loo after can be a bit of a mare. Here if you need anything, and on FB if you need me. Wishing you loads of luck, you got this girl xxxxx