Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Spotting after 8 months menopause - post cancer chemoradiation treatment  (Read 602 times)

anon2021

Hello all,

Just looking for a bit advice before I contact my GP.

I am 54 and have not had a period since July 2023 (so 8 months, periods had been erratic for over a year prior to that).  I had chemoradiation for colon cancer in 2021 and was warned it would be drop me into a fast “full menopause” very quickly.

Whilst I had huge and uncomfortable meno symptoms right away I did carrying on having regular periods for at least a year afterwards which they were very surprised about as I had had the highest radiation to my entire pelvic area.

Anyhoo, periods eventually went haywire and were happening at odd times or not at all and could be 2 days or 10 or 11 days then in July 2022 just stopped completely.

I take Oestrogen gel 2-3 pumps each day and continuous Utrogestan each day (and have done since my chemoradiation).

I have been feeling rather bloated lately and very tired (but that’s not necessarily unusual for me with complications after my cancer treatment) but yesterday I found I was spotting very light fresh red blood (not brown or grey). Just the tiniest amount and still this morning too.

Do I need an ultrasound to check my lining? For the last 6 days I have used my Utrogestan vaginally as I haven’t been well and suffering nausea and sickness so thought it best. Could using the Utrogestan vaginally cause spotting?  If so, why?

19 years prior to my colon cancer I had a CIN III cervical cancer scare - they removed some of my cervix so all was ok but obviously this type of bleeding causes me concern but just wondering if it’s my change of use of the Utrogestan that perhaps has caused this? 

I have usually taken the Utrogestan orally but have chopped and changed this according to how I feel. Sometimes I think I prefer to use it vaginally so I’m not putting more medication through my system and liver etc (it’s not been the same since chemo nearly killed me and I find I’m more sensitive taking medication).  When I’ve used it vaginally before it hasn’t caused spotting. Also forgot to mention that I use Intrarosa (Prasterone) vaginal pessaries too which help with vaginal atrophy.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Many thanks x

« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 08:30:40 AM by anon2021 »

Penguin

I have heard people say that the utrogestan vaginally irritates them, and it does seem timely that it has happened after you have started using it that way again.

Also, despite the interest, could you still havd some dryness inside that the utrogestan could have aggravated? It definitely makes my vagina drier when I used utrogestan.

You are also well within the 12 month window where bleeding could be a normal bleed, so not quite post meno.

Do you have any other hormone like symptoms, cramping, sore breasts etc?

sheila99

Given your history I would see your gp. As long as you're taking it at the same time changing to vaginal shouldn't cause bleeding.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Morning.  Well done on getting through what must have been a very difficult experience  :tulips2:

How often do you see the Consultant who did the Surgery?  MayB it's time for a review with your GP - take a list of worries with you to discuss.  He/she may consider appropriate scans initially.  Let us know how you get on.

It may be that your own hormones are over riding the regime.  Has the VA treatment kept any irritation/dryness under control?

anon2021

Many thanks all for your replies.

I haven’t been experiencing any vaginal issues or irritation lately. Since using the Intrarosa all that has been fine (I didn’t get on with Vagifem, I found it irritating and seemed to give me BV like symptoms). I can highly recommend the Intrarosa as it worked very quickly for me. But I understand we all have different things that work best so it is always a bit of trial and error. But as you say I won’t count out irritation as I had just started the Utrogestan vaginally again so is somewhat coincidental.

No usual period/hormones symptoms and I always could tell when it was arriving as I’d have a tender breasts and could be quite tearful, usual tummy ache signified its imminent arrival but I’ve had none of that.

I’ve just been having a browse and there is  a private scan clinic in my village so I’ll call them tomorrow. Understandably I can’t take any chances with my history so rather than just go to the GP (who historically hasn’t been much help) I’ll see what the scan says and then go along. Should expedite things too!

Thank you for your kind words. It’s been a tough 3 years so I really don’t need this added into the mix. Am sure it’s just a hiccup but I’ll let you know what the scan/doctors say.

Many thanks again! X

CLKD

If your VA treatment works, stick with it.

Hopefully you will be able to speak to the Clinic tomorrow for advice. 

anon2021

Hello all,

UPDATE:  thought I’d just update you that I managed to get an ultrasound scan this morning privately. All is OK… a huge relief. My lining is thin 2.4 (phew! It’s what I was most concerned about as I know I have sometimes forgotten the odd Utrogestan) and uterus cervix etc all looks absolutely fine. Couple of polyps or fibroids I can’t quite remember but nothing to worry about just now.

So it looks like after an 8 month hiatus my period has returned. I am bleeding slightly more today. Started as a light fluid thin bloody spotting (bright red) but now is a bit more period like, darker in colour and the odd tiny bit of clot.

So I suppose potentially using the Utrogestan vaginally may have induced a bleed? But certainly nothing sinister, no damage and no dry or sore patches either. She said that both my ovaries are completely empty/redundant (can’t quite remember how she put that!) so that part is definitely over! 

Annoyingly I now start my 1 year menopause  countdownagain from here! Hey ho. At least it’s not anything to worry about.

Thank you so much for your replies. If  I have any other updates I’ll post them here for future reference.

Thanks again. X

CLKD

That's such a relief, I can feel it in your update.  Worth getting the scan as it gives a base line from which to work.

It is probably the HRT regime that is causing the spotting.  So yep, U being counting.  Again  ::)

Keep in touch!