Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen levels on Hrt  (Read 1104 times)

Starfish

Oestrogen levels on Hrt
« on: July 21, 2023, 04:16:48 PM »

Hi there,

I got my bloods done recently since my menopause symptoms are starting to come back again such as palpitations, low libido, no energy, joint pain and low mood. I went into an early menopause in my early 40s. I’m now 45. Currently on evorel patch 100mg and utrogestan. My blood results were
Oestrogen/oestradiol - 270
lh - 38.5
Fsh - 37.1
Does this suggest my treatment is working, obviously in regard to the oestrogen levels, it doesn’t feel like it is?

Thanks

SarahT

Re: Oestrogen levels on Hrt
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 06:17:52 PM »

I would be interested in an answer to your post as well.

Am on 125 estradot  patch and my last blood test about  month ago showed oestrogen level of 300.  My gp said this was in the accepted ranges, but given my symptoms are not so good like  yourself I wonder if they are too low.

Previous threads seem to indicate that some women need higher oestrogen than others too feel their symptoms are better controlled.

My circumstances do differ from you as I am 56 and still  peri. Hope someone can help with this

joziel

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 11:09:46 PM »

270 is low for estrogen levels. My Newson dr says most women feel good between 400-600 and some women need it to be as high as 1000.

It doesn't matter how much you're applying to your skin if you're not absorbing it, so 125 means nothing if you're a poor absorber. You could try the gel. I wasn't absorbing patches properly but I'm doing much better on gel... Or you might need more patches or a combo of gel and patches. Either way, you need more if you are still symptomatic with an estrogen level like that...

Sadly I've given up getting any help on the NHS from doctors who know nothing. We shouldn't have to pay for this, but alas....

SarahT

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 02:24:44 PM »

Thanks Joziel

These were my thoughts too. I may ask to be referred to a me no clinic ( despite the anticipated wait) and maybe ask about adding gel too in the meantime.
Am concerned about how high an oestrogen dose I can go to. But I am still symptomatic enough to get back to my g.p. to take things further. On the 125 I do not have any adverse effects from a higher dose which suggests my body still needs either a further increase or a better way to absorb.
Thanks

Starfish

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 02:43:18 PM »

Thanks Joziel,

I hope you get sorted Sarah. It’s not easy trying to get the right balance. I will be phoning my gp on Monday, again. I may have to consider a meno clinic too unfortunately. I asked a gp at my surgery 6 months ago if I could get my blood’s checked since I still had symptoms. He cut me off and told me it’s not necessary to check. I finally convinced another dr to check these.

SarahT

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2023, 04:08:09 PM »

Hi Starfish

I know everyone says blood tests can be unreliable, though I am not sure if that is the same for yourself being  post meno?  But you would have hoped that gp's would actually consider a women's individual symptoms to be the guidelines for adapting their hrt regime. You know, actually listen!

Easier said then done if you are working with a gp as ignorant as the first you spoke with. Good luck to yourself too

joziel

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 09:27:22 PM »

I think the guidance is supposed to be that you treat on symptoms alone up to the max licensed dose of 4 pumps or 100mcg, but if a woman still has symptoms and needs more estrogen after that, then should have bloods tested to check she is absorbing...

Tak

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 03:37:49 PM »

I was fine on 75 patch & 1 sandrena sachet for 18 months, bloods were done to check absorption at this years review came back as 414. Then was told I was on a dangerous amount as it was more than licensed dose and 2 different types. Put on Bijuve & after 9 weeks of ever increasing symptoms they are swapping me on to oestrogel pump pack and I should use 2-3 pumps. And if after 2-3 months it still isn’t helping I could up to 4 pumps.