Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New regime following review.  (Read 871 times)

alibeau

New regime following review.
« on: July 20, 2023, 10:17:34 AM »

Morning Ladies,

I just had a telephone HRT review with my practice nurse.

She said that as I have been on my current regime for over 12 months with only light bleeds each month it is time to change to a continuous regime.

I am 51, I've been on different forms of HRT (oral to being with) for about 4/5 years. I am currently on 3 pumps of Oestrogel daily and 200mg of oral Utrogestan at bedtime for 14 nights out of 28. I am ticking along reasonably well on this regime.

She is suggesting I now switch this to same Oestrogel dose but 100mg of oral Utrogestan every day.

Just wanted to run this past you knowledgable folk as past experiences have taught me that there's no harm in seeking a second opinion  ;)

She said I should feel 'better' on this new Utrogestan regime? Not sure in what way?!?!

Any feedback pls?

Many thanks.

Ali x

DottyD68

Re: New regime following review.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 11:18:49 AM »

I started on the same sequi regime of Oestrogel and 14 days of utrogestan at the age of 53 after 7 years of perimenopause and still having periods. This settled many of my symptoms but it wasn't a fix all and that was fine The GP told me that after 12 months I would move to conti regime with daily utrogestan. I switched to conti at age 54 but I didn't get on with it as many of my initial symptoms returned so went back to sequi. I tried again a few months later but same thing. As I was, and am still having breakthrough bleeds during the utrogestan phase I still think I am having my own periods so my body is not ready for the conti regime yet. I am just turned 55.

I suggest you give it a try if you've been advised to, but if your symptoms return or you get adverse effects you can return to sequi.

Good luck x

alibeau

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 11:35:36 AM »

That's great, thanks Dotty!

I guess I am always reluctant to change things when I am reasonably settled as I am!!!!!

So as you say, I'll give it a whirl and see how I get on, fingers firmly crossed!

Thanks again x

alibeau

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 09:10:20 PM »

One more query, does the two hour food rule also apply to the lower dose?

:-\

DottyD68

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 09:21:56 PM »

I believe so but do not know 100%

Dotty

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2023, 05:49:01 AM »

Hi yes the two hour / empty stomach rule is the same.

There’s no need to change to a continuous regime if you’re happy on Sequi. You may not be ready for a continuous regime yet.

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2023, 08:46:59 AM »

Hello ladies.

Alibeau - As you are fifty one you may still have some years of periods ahead of you so perhaps there is no rush to change a regime that suits you.

I had my last natural period at age fifty four, became officially menopausal at fifty five and started HRT at fifty seven. From my experience it is possible to still be peri menopausal until your mid fifties.

As we know normally monthly bleeds stop after the menopause but many ladies use their HRT to continue to have regular withdrawal bleeds long past their menopause.

Take care ladies and wishing you all well.

K.

alibeau

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2023, 09:43:16 AM »

Well the nurse did not inspire me with confidence tbh.

She said as I had been on my current regime for over 12 months it was time to change.

When I said I currently take two 100mg of utrogestan for 14 nights she said that was wrong and I should only be taking one. Then read something and corrected herself.

Then when she said I should change to 1 100mg utrogestan continuously I mentioned I had read online about some ladies taking it for 25 out of 28 nights and so how do they decide whether 25 or 28 is appropriate. She said she would speak to the practice pharmacist on Tuesday to check!

On reading the patient leaflet last night, that suggests 25 out of 28 nights….

Kathleen/Dotty -  thank you, I did wonder whether my regime would be best left alone given my age and the fact that I am feeling pretty ok currently. I asked how the change might affect me and she just said I might feel better?

Anyways, really appreciate all your input as usual, I’m not sure what I’m going to do tbh….

Thanks.

Ali x

DottyD68

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2023, 10:30:31 AM »

Given your age and that you say you feel ok on the current regime I would tend to agree with the other ladies and stick to sequi for now. Your prescription dosage will be the same for conti (28 X 100mg) but you can continue to take 14 X 200mg on sequi regime.

Good luck whatever you decide to do X

Dotty

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2023, 12:36:31 PM »

Hi if you decide to switch to a continuous regime then the dosage is 100mg utrogestan every night....there's no need to take a break.

alibeau

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2023, 01:02:01 PM »

Thank you both Dottys!!  :)

So if the nurse comes back to me and says take it every day and not just 25, should I then be scanned to check endometrium lining (not even sure if this is the right term  ;)) at some point?

Thanks again.

DottyD68

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2023, 02:18:08 PM »

I doubt you will get a regular scan. They only seem to scan if there is irregular bleeding on the conti regime or you are having other problems.

Unfortunately it is not a case of one size fits all. It all seems to be random to me as everyone is different. I have a regular telephone HRT reviews and if the GP picks up on anything during those then she will take action. However I know people who don't have any reviews so it seems to be pot luck.

I try and keep on top of it by keeping a record of and changes/symptoms / bleeds etc and flag them up when necessary.

alibeau

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2023, 02:40:46 PM »

I doubt you will get a regular scan. They only seem to scan if there is irregular bleeding on the conti regime or you are having other problems.

Unfortunately it is not a case of one size fits all. It all seems to be random to me as everyone is different. I have a regular telephone HRT reviews and if the GP picks up on anything during those then she will take action. However I know people who don't have any reviews so it seems to be pot luck.

I try and keep on top of it by keeping a record of and changes/symptoms / bleeds etc and flag them up when necessary.

Thank you x

Dotty

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2023, 07:03:45 PM »

No you wouldn’t get regular scans . A switch to continuous could take 6 months to settle…you could get bleeding during this time .