Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HRT or Propanolol for Anxiety?  (Read 3504 times)

Sloan68

HRT or Propanolol for Anxiety?
« on: July 19, 2023, 05:41:15 PM »

Hi

Just looking to see if anyone in the similar situation…

I am 55, and post menopause about 10 years.  About 10 months ago like a bolt from the blue I started suffering from Anxiety which had a huge impact on work, driving, social events etc.

At the same time when the Anxiety started I also started the misery of nausea nearly every single day.

I was first prescribed Mirtazapine which had little impact on my anxiety and nausea was still present most days.

After a stint on Evorel Conti which had no impact on my anxiety or my nausea I have for the past 3 months been taking Utrogestan 100 mg and Oestrogel (1.5 pumps) Finally, there has been an improvement with the anxiety BUT the nausea is still present most days.

GP has this week prescribed Propranolol which I am due to collect from the pharmacy tomorrow. GP is hoping this may help with the nausea. I am aware that Propranolol is prescribed for Anxiety.

GP said to stick with the HRT and take the Propranolol. I am only taking the HRT for the anxiety and I’m tempted to stop the HRT and take the Propranolol on its own to see if helps the anxiety and nausea.

Anyone out there maybe in the same boat?

Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT or Propanolol for Anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 05:48:50 PM »

Hi.  Propranolol can ease anxiety, it worked for me: 20mg at night to ease the early morning surges.  I also had 'valium' as necessary for years which I took the night B4 events that I couldn't get out of.

HRT can take 3-8 months to kick in.  Brain and hormones need to accept and take up the regime.  There are certain anti-depressant medications that help anxiety. 

Sloan68

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 06:00:40 PM »

Hi.  Propranolol can ease anxiety, it worked for me: 20mg at night to ease the early morning surges.  I also had 'valium' as necessary for years which I took the night B4 events that I couldn't get out of.

HRT can take 3-8 months to kick in.  Brain and hormones need to accept and take up the regime.  There are certain anti-depressant medications that help anxiety.

Thanks for your message and that’s great that Propranolol helped with your anxiety.

The HRT has certainly helped with the anxiety but  there has been no improvement with the nausea and after 10 months of it I’m at my wits end…

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 06:04:01 PM »

I personally would only change one thing at at time. So not stop the hrt at same time as starting the propanalol as you won't know which is / isn't working.

Propanalol does work at getting rid of the physical feelings of anxiety, so if the nausea is caused by amxiety then sounds like it could be worth a go. I have been given it to take as needed, just for anxiety and racing heart though, not for nausea as such.

I hope it helps you. Must be hard to feel nauseous every day. Do you make sure to eat little and often?

Sloan68

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 06:18:33 PM »

I personally would only change one thing at at time. So not stop the hrt at same time as starting the propanalol as you won't know which is / isn't working.

Propanalol does work at getting rid of the physical feelings of anxiety, so if the nausea is caused by amxiety then sounds like it could be worth a go. I have been given it to take as needed, just for anxiety and racing heart though, not for nausea as such.

I hope it helps you. Must be hard to feel nauseous every day. Do you make sure to eat little and often?

Thanks for your message Penguin.

I’m with you when it comes to not combining it all and I’m thinking trialling the Propranolol on its own and see how it goes with both the anxiety and nausea.

I’m pretty good at eating little and often and crackers and ginger biscuits are in every bag I own.

I am just exhausted by the nausea and the effect that it has had on life over the past 10 months🥹
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 06:23:48 PM by Sloan68 »

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 06:30:29 PM »

Hi. Have you had investigations for the nausea in case it's a separate thing from the menopause? Have you had any reflux issues?

Taz x

Sloan68

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 06:42:44 PM »

Hi. Have you had investigations for the nausea in case it's a separate thing from the menopause? Have you had any reflux issues?

Taz x

Hi Taz

I don’t have any reflux issues and GP examined me in January with no concerns. I have also had blood tests for thyroid, liver etc carried out in January and May this year and no concerns.

The GP I spoke to this week thinks the nausea is linked to the anxiety.

Thanks Taz

Penguin

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 06:57:11 PM »

Hi Sloan68

Not sure I communicated that correctly. What I meant is that if you are currently taking hrt, don't suddenly stop it in order to start the propanalol. Keep taking it and add the propanalol in, then you are only changing one thing. If you suddenly stop hrt you might get effects from that (even if you feel taking it isn't doing much, you'd still get a sudden drop in hormones), so I would wait and try the hrt with the propanalol first. Does that make sense? There's no issue with combining them as you are already taking the hrt.

Sloan68

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 07:16:47 PM »

Hi Sloan68

Not sure I communicated that correctly. What I meant is that if you are currently taking hrt, don't suddenly stop it in order to start the propanalol. Keep taking it and add the propanalol in, then you are only changing one thing. If you suddenly stop hrt you might get effects from that (even if you feel taking it isn't doing much, you'd still get a sudden drop in hormones), so I would wait and try the hrt with the propanalol first. Does that make sense? There's no issue with combining them as you are already taking the hrt.

Sorry Penguin, I did misinterpret your message.

I was thinking that because I had been on the Utrogestan and Oestrogel for 3 months it might be better to stop the HRT and take the Propranolol on its own so I could see if the Propranolol on its own helped…and then take it from there. I’m certainly no expert at this😀

Penguin

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2023, 07:34:52 PM »

You could but you'd need to leave a gap I think to see what the impact of stopping hrt is first. Personally I'd keep on the hrt and try propanalol as well. If it helps,  then you could trial reducing / coming off the hrt. But I wouldn't suddenly stop it and immediately start something else.

Sloan68

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2023, 07:40:32 PM »

You could but you'd need to leave a gap I think to see what the impact of stopping hrt is first. Personally I'd keep on the hrt and try propanalol as well. If it helps,  then you could trial reducing / coming off the hrt. But I wouldn't suddenly stop it and immediately start something else.

That makes sense Penguin.

I will give that regime a go and see how I get on over the next few weeks.

Many thanks for your advice. I will post again with an update.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2023, 08:03:45 PM »

HRT may take months to kick in.  Anxiety becomes problematic in peri-menopause so adding 'propranolol' to ease it should be of use.  Stopping HRT now probably isn't advised.

Sloan68

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2023, 08:42:47 PM »

HRT may take months to kick in.  Anxiety becomes problematic in peri-menopause so adding 'propranolol' to ease it should be of use.  Stopping HRT now probably isn't advised.

I was hoping 10 years post menopause without any symptoms until last year that I was doing well but I will stick with both at the moment and fingers crossed it helps with the anxiety and nausea.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2023, 08:48:54 PM »

Do U think that the anxiety is related to your hormones?  I would think that after 10 years without problems, anxiety should be treated with appropriate medication, not HRT. 

Nausea can be hormonally linked, I suffered for years prior to each bleed. 

Let us know how you get on.

Sloan68

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2023, 09:22:06 PM »

Do U think that the anxiety is related to your hormones?  I would think that after 10 years without problems, anxiety should be treated with appropriate medication, not HRT. 

Nausea can be hormonally linked, I suffered for years prior to each bleed. 

Let us know how you get on.

I’m thinking it’s hormonal because it came out of the blue, I have never suffered from anxiety and there was nothing specific going on in my life which would have triggered it.

I tried the Mirtazapine first but it made little difference to the anxiety whereas the HRT has helped over the past 3 months.

Will let you know how I get on.

Pages: [1] 2