Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Skipped period  (Read 813 times)

Hrtnewbie46

Skipped period
« on: July 18, 2023, 04:36:52 AM »

Hi all
I’ve recently skipped a period - well it’s currently 10 days after stopping Utragestan (I take 200 mg from day 16-25 or whatever it is - vaginally)
Over the last two months I’ve self diagnosed an increase in Estrogen patch and I’m now using 75 against the advice of my doctor who wanted me to keep a six month diary. I think I actually need more Estrogen based on my symptoms too
Anyway my question is - is it normal to skip a period ? Would this suggest that my Estrogen is too low ? I will be calling my doctor or I might bite the bullet and pay for a private consultation as the fight at the doctors is just hard work ! Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Skipped period
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 08:50:37 AM »

Morning.  MayB put the HRT regime into the search box so that you can read other threads on this topic? 

Hrtnewbie46

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 10:02:45 AM »

Thanks yes I have  :)

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 10:42:01 AM »

One thing is certain in perimenopause, your periods will become erratic then eventually stop unless they are kept going artificially.

My periods spent a few years being irregular before stopping for that all important year. Now I only get periods with hrt, but they are still irregular, sometimes starting before the utrogestan has finished, this month my period was late, started five days after the utro stopped.

At first they had me on conti, but I bled every month on that too so they switched me to sequi, mostly because I don't want to take progesterone all the time.

If you don't bleed, I don't think it matters so long as you took the progesterone, it might mean your lining didn't build up enough to shed.
It could be raising your oestrogen levels without raising the progesterone as well caused the lining to stay put which isn't good, in that case you'd need more progesterone,
Or it could mean you need more oestrogen than you have now to build enough lining for a period.

The possibilities are endless enough that most of us rely on trial and error and just try to be tolerant of the doctors who think they understand it while all their predictions fail to come true in practice.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 11:29:06 AM »

Browse round. Ask away.

Hrtnewbie46

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 11:48:06 AM »

It could be raising your oestrogen levels without raising the progesterone as well caused the lining to stay put which isn't good, in that case you'd need more progesterone,
Or it could mean you need more oestrogen than you have now to build enough lining for a period

This is what really worries me.  Sigh 😔 I think I’m going to have to pay and get sorted as I’m just messing about constantly - thank you for your replies  xxx

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 12:36:23 PM »

I would wait and see what happens next month. 200mg utro is sufficient for 100mcg oestrogen so the 75 patch is fine. If your own oestrogen hasn't provided much this month it might be that there hasn't been enough of a build up to cause a bleed. If you still have a cycle of your own you might bleed according to your own cycle not the hrt one. When my ovaries do nothing I bleed about 1 in 3 hrt cycles and there's much less blood, when my own cycle is doing it's stuff I bleed according to that not the hrt cycle.

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 12:54:45 PM »

Or it could mean you need more oestrogen than you have now to build enough lining for a period

This is what really worries me.  Sigh 😔 I think I’m going to have to pay and get sorted as I’m just messing about constantly - thank you for your replies  xxx
I don't think missed periods are a worry at our age, it's any extra bleeding they investigate.
Just about everyone on hrt seems to try all sorts of doses and combinations because these hormones can be brutal and finding one that is tolerable isn't even always possible.
What I'm saying is you haven't done anything terrible that caused harm, we have all had our doses go up and down and all around. The doctors don't agree on anything regarding menopause, except that missing periods is to be expected!

Hrtnewbie46

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 02:37:58 PM »

Thank you all for your replies - typically I’ve come on today !  Thank you for the reassurance that I’ve done nothing wrong / wishing we could all crack this damn code 🙄🙏

Emma74

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2023, 08:20:17 PM »

One thing is certain in perimenopause, your periods will become erratic then eventually stop unless they are kept going artificially.

My periods spent a few years being irregular before stopping for that all important year. Now I only get periods with hrt, but they are still irregular, sometimes starting before the utrogestan has finished, this month my period was late, started five days after the utro stopped.

At first they had me on conti, but I bled every month on that too so they switched me to sequi, mostly because I don't want to take progesterone all the time.

If you don't bleed, I don't think it matters so long as you took the progesterone, it might mean your lining didn't build up enough to shed.
Or it could mean you need more oestrogen than you have now to build enough lining for a period.

The possibilities are endless enough that most of us rely on trial and error and just try to be tolerant of the doctors who think they understand it while all their predictions fail to come true in practice.

Thats was a lovely and reassuring reply and it wasn't even my question 😊

MrsE!

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2023, 02:01:03 PM »

Having had the Hawaii birthday last yr, I noticed periods were becoming erratic. At start of this Yr I had 1, then nothing for 4 months, then  a something,  then a proper one.  I just keep a diary of dates and length now . Counting down till I don't have to stock up on tampax ever again . Hubby just wants sex all the time  ......like most men ;D