Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Symptoms worse after increasing hrt  (Read 590 times)

shakilla

Symptoms worse after increasing hrt
« on: July 18, 2023, 04:19:18 PM »

Hi guys I've literally had complete melt down today and hoping someone can help me.
I had my hrt increased last week from 50 to 75
As was having itchy skin and dry down below.
But since then I'm having the worst time. All last week I felt completely exhausted so tired I couldn't function and horrendous aching in my arms. Since Saturday I have been so irratable and ratty I could have fallen out with my own shadow. Last night and the night before my sleep has been really restless and I've spent the morning with the most incredible rage and now I'm just uncontrollably sobbing. Is this because the hrt is too strong. I'm just at my complete wits end. I

Flossieteacake

Re: Symptoms worse after increasing hrt
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 04:21:58 PM »

Oh how horrible for you. I am so sorry to hear this. Perhaps you may be better increasing at a  slightly slower pace. So instead of 75 you could cut a bit off the patch and make it be between 50 and 75. Do not despair as some of us do need to make any changes more gradually.

Are you using any localised oestrogen for your itching and dryness down below?

shakilla

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 04:29:18 PM »

Hi Flossie, I aren't aren't. The itchy seems to have improved but I'm getting really excessive discharge now instead and I've never had that before. And it's really bad.

shakilla

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 04:29:49 PM »

Will def try cutting off a bit of the patch

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 04:33:05 PM »

I suggest asking for some localised oestrogen such as Ovestin which is a cream. The itching and dryness of the vagina and vulva is a symptom of vaginal atrophy and Ovestin will help you target the area.

shakilla

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 04:36:45 PM »

Thanks Flossie. Will ask for some. Can you buy it over the counter? As it's a nightmare getting through to a gp at my surgery.

Pippa52

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 04:37:11 PM »

Hi if its any consolation I had to increase my dose at a snails pace and also allowing several months in between to level out.  I am on patches and I went up from 50 to 56 and then up to 62.5  ( 37.5 patch plus a 25 patch) so really slowly.  Hope so much you feel better soon.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 04:38:28 PM »

Thanks Flossie. Will ask for some. Can you buy it over the counter? As it's a nightmare getting through to a gp at my surgery.

There is a pessary called Gina which is available but I think it is only for women who are 55 years old and over. I can understand why you are reluctant to try your GP if it is difficult to get through. Is it possible to send a message? VA will not need an examination so hopefully they could issue you a prescription.

shakilla

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 04:57:32 PM »

Thanks guys. Literally don't know what I'd do without this group. Feel like I'm losing my mind at the moment x