News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT  (Read 777 times)

Karen18

• First Flush
HRT
« on: July 17, 2023, 07:23:40 PM »

I have been on Everol 50 since the end of February 23, my last period was July 22.  In the last 4 weeks I've been bleeding heavily and losing large blood clots is this normal?

Should I also be on protestegon?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 07:34:31 PM »

Hi.  Ladies who have a womb need progesterone as part of an HRT regime. 

:welcomemm:  It may be the Everol causing the bleeds - if some1 doesn't come along put the product name into the search box to see threads that pop up.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 06:41:38 AM »

Hi Karen. CLKD is correct in that if you are using oestrogen and have not had a hysterectomy then you also need to add in a progesterone for the last two weeks of each month in order to keep. Your uterine lining thin. You should be on Evorel sequi which includes progesterone.

You need to ask your GP to change you to a sequi HRT. It may be that they will refer you for a scan to check that all is well with your lining. This is a simple procedure so don't worry if you are referred.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 08:42:30 AM »

As above, you need to see your gp (preferably one who knows more than the one who prescribed oestrogen only). Given the absence of progesterone bleeding now would be expected and is a good thing as the lining needs to thin. You might want to ask for a scan so you know what's going on.

Jenty

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 08:50:08 AM »

Many women using a low-dose vaginal estrogen will not need to use a progesterone. I'm on Ovestin and it said on the leaflet 'Ovestin has been shown to have very low absorption into the blood, therefore the addition of a progesterone is not necessary.' I've still got my womb!

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 08:57:23 AM »

Yep, your GP only prescribed half the treatment. If you have a womb and you take systemic oestrogen, then you have to take progesterone to stop the lining building up too much.

Normally they are very strict about it never being longer than three months without progesterone, maybe they meant for you to go back and get progesterone if you decided to stay on oestrogen?

When I started my latest HRT the nurse gave me the first 5-6 weeks with only oestrogen, then I had to start trying progesterones 12 days a month even though they make me feel very down.

I find utrogestan taken vaginally is the least bad one, I take that with Estradot50 patches, Evorel50 didn't work for me.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 10:01:21 AM »

Many women using a low-dose vaginal estrogen will not need to use a progesterone. I'm on Ovestin and it said on the leaflet 'Ovestin has been shown to have very low absorption into the blood, therefore the addition of a progesterone is not necessary.' I've still got my womb!

Yes this is correct for vaginal oestrogen used for vaginal atrophy but not for full HRT which always needs a progesterone to prevent endometrial cancer.

Taz x  :)

Karen18

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 09:54:11 PM »

Thanks for all the advice I will book an appointment to see my gp.