Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: absorption rates for different ways of taking utrogestan  (Read 2518 times)

sheila99

Re: absorption rates for different ways of taking utrogestan
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2023, 12:07:18 PM »

Hi Sheila99

I'm so sorry you've started bleeding.

Have you considered cyclogest, I take 100mg rectally or you can take it vaginally xxx
Do you find it better than utro? I can ask my gp but they're very reluctant to prescribe anything unlicensed, I have a battle every time I need more Tostran. Bleeding is actually a good thing, last time there was hardly anything and as I'm on 100 patch I worry about the lining building up. I keep wondering if a mirena may be the answer but a bit reluctant to try.

violetbat

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2023, 02:39:25 PM »

Hi Sheila99

Have you considered cyclogest, I take 100mg rectally or you can take it vaginally xxx
Do you find it better than utro? I can ask my gp but they're very reluctant to prescribe anything unlicensed, I have a battle every time I need more Tostran. Bleeding is actually a good thing, last time there was hardly anything and as I'm on 100 patch I worry about the lining building up. I keep wondering if a mirena may be the answer but a bit reluctant to try.
That’s interesting Sheila. Perhaps rectally doesn’t give consistent absorption rates? Orally doesn’t either it seems. Even though I bled on day 7 this month and it was a decent amount on the first 1.5 days it stopped pretty quickly. I will go back to the vaginally route. I hate the bloats and pains so much though. Sometimes the pain gets so bad that I have to stop the course early because it affects my well-being.

sheila99

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2023, 04:24:34 PM »

Sorry it's so difficult for you. I'm going to try rectally again next time. I get fatigue and disrupted sleep either way but rectally there's no mess so for me it's an improvement.

discogirl

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2023, 05:55:34 PM »

Hi Sheila99

hi sheila99

yes i find it better than utro my moods on utro were horrific. i dont know why im better on cyclogest as theyre both micronised progesterone.

since it can be used rectally i use it in the mornings and i just cut the 200mg pessary in half and use 100mg.

personally my moods couldnt handle a mirena but you might be different.

as if meno isnt hard enough without having a battle everytime you need more hrt.

are with a meno clinic as they might be more likely to prescribe off licence stuff.

i really hope you get sorted xxx

DottyD68

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2023, 06:58:42 PM »

Hello ladies,

I'm reading this thread with interest.

When I first started taking utrogestan 14 out of 28 days orally I synced it with my period so the bleed was a few days after day 14 of Utrogestan Over the months my bleed/period gradually crept forward so it has been starting on  say on day 7 of utrogestan. I assumed this was because it was my natural period breaking through and that I was still in perimenopause. Are you saying that it's possible it isn't my natural period and that it's an early withdrawal bleed because the Utrogestan isn't being absorbed?

Apologies if I sound dense. I thought I'd got on top of all this but this may add a new dimension to where I am in the whole menopause process.

Thank you in advance x

violetbat

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2023, 08:08:38 PM »

Hello ladies,

I'm reading this thread with interest.

When I first started taking utrogestan 14 out of 28 days orally I synced it with my period so the bleed was a few days after day 14 of Utrogestan Over the months my bleed/period gradually crept forward so it has been starting on  say on day 7 of utrogestan. I assumed this was because it was my natural period breaking through and that I was still in perimenopause. Are you saying that it's possible it isn't my natural period and that it's an early withdrawal bleed because the Utrogestan isn't being absorbed?

Apologies if I sound dense. I thought I'd got on top of all this but this may add a new dimension to where I am in the whole menopause process.

Thank you in advance x
Hi Dotty
It’s a good question. What I think might be happening is that the absorption is somewhat inconsistent. So if the level drops a bit because the absorption rate lowers for a day or 2 it will signal to the body to bleed. This is of course what would happen when we were younger and having periods.
I have found so far that taking vaginally pretty always gives me a bleed after I have stopped the course. When I took it orally I usually bled before the course was finished. The jury is still out rectally.

DottyD68

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2023, 09:02:53 PM »

I've never heard this theory before. When I asked the medics they implied that as long as I was having a bleed it wasn't cause for concern when the bleed actually happened on this regime. Although I understand that some women don't bleed at all on sequi and that is fine too - maybe because the lining doesn't build up enough to shed.
I will ask my GP the next time I have a review.
Thanks x

DottyD68

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2023, 09:20:58 PM »

Got me thinkimg now so just another question relating to this. Based on this theory that oral utrogestan isnt absorbed effectively, for those women on a conti regime taking 100g utogestan orally on a daily basis, wouldn't there be more cases of bleeding (when conti is not supposed to cause any bleed)?

I would have thought there are papers/studies on the different absorption rates and if so why is utrogestan not licenced in UK for vaginal/rectal use if it is more effective?

violetbat

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2023, 05:58:34 AM »

Got me thinkimg now so just another question relating to this. Based on this theory that oral utrogestan isnt absorbed effectively, for those women on a conti regime taking 100g utogestan orally on a daily basis, wouldn't there be more cases of bleeding (when conti is not supposed to cause any bleed)?

I would have thought there are papers/studies on the different absorption rates and if so why is utrogestan not licenced in UK for vaginal/rectal use if it is more effective?

Dotty
I think a lot of women bleed irregularly on conti.
I think you are absorbing enough to protect the womb, just not consistent amounts, hence the erratic bleeding when levels drop/ rise/ drop.

Someone did explain somewhere on here regarding the updating on the licensing. My GP told me to use it vaginally. I am sure I am not built differently to French women.
My guess is that HRT isn’t financially viable to invest research into. My pharmacist told me that big pharma don’t make money from making and selling HRT so can’t be arsed to invest in research etc.
GPS seem to know very little either.

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2023, 10:35:25 AM »

The bleeding on utrogestan happens during the first six months ideally, then your body should keep the same lining if nothing changes and not bleed, but everything changes all the time until we are well past having natural periods, so the natural fluctuations of early postmenopause can trigger breakthrough bleeding after that as well and often this is investigated with a scan.

Anyway the women who bleed with continuous utrogestan are taken off utrogestan and given something else instead, that keeps the numbers down of those who continue to use it and bleed in an unplanned way. I've been switched about a few times, I've not been allowed anything that gives unplanned bleeding after six months, it's all prescription only so it's not really a choice, we're not allowed it if it doesn't work.

Furyan

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2023, 11:49:41 AM »

Utrogestan orally every day definitely isn’t enough for me and made spotting turn into bleeding. Vaginal is more effective (for me) to control bleeding but it’s far too strong for me to take every day (too many side effects) and every other day isn’t enough either. I’m not the first one to say it, but it’s a real shame utrogestan doesn’t come in a form that is easier to adjust, this ‘all or nothing’ dosing simply won’t work for some women.
Pages: 1 [2]