Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: absorption rates for different ways of taking utrogestan  (Read 2514 times)

violetbat

absorption rates for different ways of taking utrogestan
« on: July 16, 2023, 06:38:46 PM »

Sorry for the clumsy title!
I have been taking utrogestan vaganally for a few years now. I could not tolerate it orally at all. Vaginally it is a tad better but I still get awful pain and bloating during the days I take it, to the point where it would become unbearable, BUT would get a regular and predictable withdrawal bleed AFTER the course was finished- always. Unless I forgot a day and then without fail I would bleed a couple of days later.

When taking it orally I would usually bleed BEFORE the course was finished- which made me think that the absorption was more erratic- hence the triggering of a bleed.

Recently on here there were discussions about taking it rectally and that might make the side effects less.

These last couple of months I have been taking it both rectally and vaginally and I have bleed before the course has finished both times- about a week in, which is what used to happen when I took it orally.
This makes me think that, again, taking it rectally does not have the same  constant absorption rate as vaginally and that the vaginal route is the most constant/best absorbed method.
I might be talking out of my arse though!

Would appreciate thoughts and experiences on the different methods and absorption rates/ effectiveness of a consistent level of absorption. I shouldn't make a difference but it clearly does with me. For others it might not matter.

sheila99

Re: absorption rates for different ways of taking utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 09:14:11 PM »

Interesting question. I would assume Newson is right when she says more is absorbed vaginally. This is the first cycle I've used it rectally and I think it's stronger. I get sore boobs with progesterone and pain is greater now than with either oral or vaginal. I have a few more days til the bleed is due so I'll let you know what happens. I don't think I'm very susceptible to daily fluctuations so can't comment, I never bleed early except when my own hormones are involved. Another thing that makes me think more is absorbed is that there's no mess which I had thought was the casing, now I think it might just be utro that hasn't been absorbed.

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 06:07:50 AM »

Interesting question. I would assume Newson is right when she says more is absorbed vaginally. This is the first cycle I've used it rectally and I think it's stronger. I get sore boobs with progesterone and pain is greater now than with either oral or vaginal. I have a few more days til the bleed is due so I'll let you know what happens. I don't think I'm very susceptible to daily fluctuations so can't comment, I never bleed early except when my own hormones are involved. Another thing that makes me think more is absorbed is that there's no mess which I had thought was the casing, now I think it might just be utro that hasn't been absorbed.

Hi Sheila99

I'm following this thread with interest.

As you know I've had trouble with progesterone, and I did trial taking utro rectally (I now take cyclogest, using it rectally)

So can I just clarify, you've been using the utro rectally and at first you thought that you using it rectally the absorption was stronger, but now you think that you just weren't absorbing the utro rectally?

Sorry if I've read that wrong xxx

violetbat

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 06:08:59 AM »

Thanks for replying!
Maybe I am simply more susceptible to hormone fluctuations? I don’t know. I would prefer to keep using it rectally .
I am super stressed at the moment- house purchase that is dragging on and on. Am now covered in spots so my hormones are deffo out of whack. :(

violetbat

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 06:12:39 AM »

Hi Sheila99

I'm following this thread with interest.

As you know I've had trouble with progesterone, and I did trial taking utro rectally (I now take cyclogest, using it rectally)

So can I just clarify, you've been using the utro rectally and at first you thought that you using it rectally the absorption was stronger, but now you think that you just weren't absorbing the utro rectally?

Sorry if I've read that wrong xxx

I understand her to mean that it might be more than just the casing that is expelled whilst using it vaginally? Therefore rectally it stays in longer?
I always have a Howe movement first thing so I would expel whatever was left up there anyway!

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 06:38:44 AM »

Hi violetbat

I see, thanks so much for explaining that xx

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 07:46:35 AM »

That's interesting violetbat, I hadn't thought of it from that angle.
When I take oral progesterone (tried provera then utrogestan) then I'll start my period about 7-10 days into the 12 days.
When I took vaginal utrogestan my period waited until 4-5 days after finishing the 12 days and the side effects were a fraction of the oral side effects.
I only tried vaginally last month, maybe this pattern will continue?

I've finally got approval from the HRT clinic to use it vaginally for now, only because I'm coming in for a scan next month, but I'll take it vaginally until I'm told not to, it seems to absorb more and work better so it makes no sense to go back to taking it orally.

I had some irritation though, maybe rectally is an option to avoid that?

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 08:52:31 AM »

I still think it's stronger rectally than vaginally. When I use it vaginally white bits come out from 4 am onwards which I had assumed was casing but now think may be the product itself. Not certain though. I had some irritation vaginally too but so far no reaction anally (day 10).
Does anyone know if you can mix delivery methods in one cycle? I wasn't sure if I could switch after vaginal irritation so carried on.

violetbat

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2023, 11:40:22 AM »

I still think it's stronger rectally than vaginally. When I use it vaginally white bits come out from 4 am onwards which I had assumed was casing but now think may be the product itself. Not certain though. I had some irritation vaginally too but so far no reaction anally (day 10).
Does anyone know if you can mix delivery methods in one cycle? I wasn't sure if I could switch after vaginal irritation so carried on.
I mixed it this last cycle and the one before come to think of it. Mostly because a few times I got into bed and switched the light off, then remembered I hadn’t taken it and couldn’t be bothered to go and get the lube so just used them the front way.
This is what has made me think that absorption rates are a bit different.
If I manage a whole cycle rectally and still bleed early I will have a better idea of the absorption consistency for each way.
I get horrible womb ache using progesterone . The mirena was a nightmare. Oddly I am ok on norithisterone but my gp won’t prescribe it.🤷🏻‍♀️

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2023, 01:21:51 PM »

I was fine with norethisterone in evorel patches too but get fatigue and sleep disruption with utrogeston. When I developed an allergic reaction to the glue in the patch my gp wouldn't prescribe it either.
Has mixing delivery methods been a factor in your early bleeding? I wondered if changing from vaginal to oral might trigger it (I use 200mg both ways).

violetbat

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2023, 01:43:02 PM »

I was fine with norethisterone in evorel patches too but get fatigue and sleep disruption with utrogeston. When I developed an allergic reaction to the glue in the patch my gp wouldn't prescribe it either.
Has mixing delivery methods been a factor in your early bleeding? I wondered if changing from vaginal to oral might trigger it (I use 200mg both ways).

Yes- the patch glue can sometimes irritate me. I can just about tolerate everol- but there was another large patch that made me want to tear my skin off. Wish I could get the tiny estradot. These large patches are very very unsexy indeed.
I deffo get early bleeds if I mix oral and vaginal methods- every time.
When I had the mirena in a couple of years ago- the bleeding was getting so heavy that I was also taking 6 northistrone a day just to stop it. Apart from being covered in spots I didn't feel too bad. They agreed it should be removed due to the pain and bleeding, but the threads had disappeared so a gynae had to fish it out with a hook thing- right up my cervix without any anaesthetic. I will never have one again.

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2023, 04:54:40 PM »

OUCH!! I don't blame you  >:( :poke2:

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2023, 08:45:44 AM »

So I may have been talking through my backside again :-\. 11days of rectal 200mg utro and I'm bleeding. So it may not be stronger this way, it might be that my own progesterone has been added. I really don't know what's going on  :(.

discogirl

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2023, 09:41:56 AM »

Hi Sheila99

I'm so sorry you've started bleeding.

Have you considered cyclogest, I take 100mg rectally or you can take it vaginally xxx

Emma74

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2023, 09:42:23 AM »

I have started my P 8 days early so only half way through utrogestan, I am also taking vaginally 100mg for 12 nights. I was able to persevere until day 9 but my P was too heavy.

What do you do in this instance. I have been counting 15 days after first day of P to start the tabs. I was fine for the first 3 months and now totally confused  if I start from the first day of early period.

Although its not as heavy as usual I have had quite severe discomfort for the whole period which is unusual for me. I usually get knocked to the floor for a couple of days then ok again. I only used 100mg as Louise Newsons lady said on youtube and that's where I was sent by the GP surgery. I will increase to 200mg if that would make a difference, only on 50mg evorel
Pages: [1] 2