Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan vaginally  (Read 2071 times)

Meadowblue

Utrogestan vaginally
« on: July 16, 2023, 03:50:38 PM »

I am 6 weeks in to my first try on hrt. Oestrogel and Utrogestan.  So far I am feeling so much better despite being 62 and suffering various symptoms for over 10 years >:(

However as a sufferer of acid reflux intermittently I have found it is slightly worse.  I have read on here that you can use the Utrogestan vaginally.  Sorry to be graphic but how?  Is it a different prescription than the small round tablets I take orally as I don’t know how you would insert ?  Also I already use vagifem pessaries would they interfere?

Thank you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Utrogestan vaginally
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 04:17:15 PM »

Oh that's technical  ::)

MayB put 'Utrogestan vaginally' into the search box to see the threads on this? 

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 04:34:54 PM »

It's the same capsules, just push it up as far as you can before you go to bed. I found if I drank a fair amount of water with it I didn't get reflux.

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2023, 05:08:22 PM »

I use it vaginally right before bed and after I've done a wee so I don't have to move around for awhile. Same capsules, just pushed up there. I do still get a bit of reflux during some of the time I'm taking the utrogestan, but I think that's more systemic due to higher levels of circulating progesterone relaxing the muscles. No other side effects using it that way though. I couldn't take orally as had gastritis last year so too scared to take anything on an empty stomach.

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2023, 05:10:32 PM »

I've also recently started vagifem so I use that in the morning, and the utrogestan at night. It does all feel a bit gunky up there, lots of white stuff, but it's fine.

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2023, 08:44:41 AM »

As the others have said, just push it as far up as it'll go and leave it there.

I find it makes me really wired and hyper so I use it in the mornings or I'll stay awake half the night.

I was using it this way already while asking for permission, which I eventually got to continue so long as the dose is the same 200mg as prescribed for taking orally.

I still get some heartburn and reflux taking it vaginally, but not nearly as much as orally, I was close to taking myself to A&E with that pain.

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 09:30:19 AM »

It's so interesting how it affects people so differently meno-mel. I use it at night and about half an hour after taking I feel so drugged and dozy that I fall sleep even if watching TV. Ended up taking it later in the evening because it zonks me so much!

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2023, 11:20:42 AM »

I am on day 6 and I havent slept a wink am exhausted, it gives me such imsonia!

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2023, 11:50:24 AM »

Oh Cassie that sounds awful, don't think I could cope with that. Do you take in the morning now?

Meadowblue

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2023, 04:53:55 PM »

Thank you everyone.  I’ll give it a try :)

Cassie

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2023, 06:17:46 PM »

No I use it at night vaginally, couldnt use it in the day am sure it would fall out  ;D