Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is the maximum uterine lining thickness allowed?  (Read 1452 times)

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
What is the maximum uterine lining thickness allowed?
« on: July 14, 2023, 01:44:41 PM »

Hi, I've just settled on a new HRT regimen of Estradot50 and Utrogestan (12 days a month), it's been about 4 months and seems to be ok and it's reduced my night sweats to maybe three a week, but the other night I was drenched three times in one night, it varies a lot.

On the utrogestan part I felt quite confident too which was nice, less anxiety. I still have periods and I'm booked to have a scan 28 days after my last period started to measure my uterine lining and only if it's not too thick, I'll be allowed more oestrogen.

I have really heavy periods every month, as they have scheduled it to be at it's maximum, I wondered what is the maximum that it's allowed to be?

I had it measured 20 years ago at 6mm mid cycle if that is relevant.

Kathleen

Re: What is the maximum uterine lining thickness allowed?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 01:58:02 PM »

Hello meno-mel

I have been post meno for a long time and a few years ago I was told that anything above 4mm needed to be investigated. At that time my lining was 4.9mm so I had a hysteroscopy and all was fine. About a year ago I had a scan that showed a lining of 2mm which the consultant said was just right for my age etc.

I am sure other ladies will be along to advise you but I think a lining above 4 mm prompts scans etc.
I hope this helps you and take care.

K.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 02:13:38 PM »

Are they trying to measure it at it's thickest or thinnest? It's normally the thinnest measurement that concerns them and should be 4mm (some say 5 if on hrt) after a bleed. Can be up to 16mm just before from your own hormones, not sure if there is an allowable max on hrt but surely this is also going to depend on how much oestrogen you produced yourself that month (and in peri huge spikes are possible).

meno-mel

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 02:41:08 PM »

Are they trying to measure it at it's thickest or thinnest? It's normally the thinnest measurement that concerns them and should be 4mm (some say 5 if on hrt) after a bleed. Can be up to 16mm just before from your own hormones, not sure if there is an allowable max on hrt but surely this is also going to depend on how much oestrogen you produced yourself that month (and in peri huge spikes are possible).
It was confusing, she mentioned that they wouldn't be able to know what it was just after shedding if the scan was just as my period was due to start and I agreed with her.
But they control the entire timetable. It's taken me 3-4 months to nudge my periods to where the HRT clinic want them to be, so I can take my utrogestan on their appointed days without messing up my cycle. It's up to them when they scan me. It all seems very deliberately done to measure it at its maximum, so I'll not be impressed if they compare that to a chart of minimum measurements!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 04:34:49 PM »

As suggested, it really does depend on where you are in your cycle ........ this should be obvious but was explained to me as I hadn't given it a thought  ::)

5-6mm if taking HRT B4 flags are raised.  Fibroids may well cause problems with small blood loss when aggravated by hormones.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 04:35:29 PM »

I had a polyp for years which bled on contact, my Gynae wanted to remove it ...... ASAP even though it was non sinister.  I declined.  It shrunk away at peri  ::)

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 05:59:27 PM »

If there's any possibility they'll stop your hrt if it's too thick I'd be tempted to take utro early and hope you bleed before the appointment (appointment on day 5/6 for choice).

meno-mel

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2023, 08:35:45 AM »

If there's any possibility they'll stop your hrt if it's too thick I'd be tempted to take utro early and hope you bleed before the appointment (appointment on day 5/6 for choice).
This is what I'm afraid of. When they gave me the appointment I was having my period at the very start of the calendar month, they told me they wanted me to try to nudge it into the following week or 2, middle of the calendar month. It's easier for them if all their ladies are synchronised. So I did that using utrogestan and luck. Now my period is the middle of the month. It's annoying they told me to do that without considering whether it was a good idea or not for me!

I'm not sure I can bring it back in under a month because my body really doesn't care when I take utrogestan, I'll bleed before it, after it, during it, whenever my body wants but always with 24-34 days in between bleeds.

So if I take utrogestan early, say 24th July to 4th August, then I might have my period early too and pass their thickness test.

Or I could just go with a really thick lining and watch them panic as I say "I told you so". I'm sure they don't want to make unnecessary referrals either, maybe they'd do a repeat in a fortnight?

I'm only getting a scan because I bled regularly all last year on conti regimens, even though I thought I was post meno having completed the period free year plus some, without being on hormone treatments.

By October they decided to refer me for post meno bleeding, it's a long wait if I turn it down, so I won't do that.

I woke this morning in floods, emptied my 30ml menstrual cup three times so far this morning and still running to the loo urgently as well. I've period cramps, not too much nausea and feel wiped out. This is my third heavy period since the end of May, my first since switching to the much more effective for me, Estradot50 and it's the heaviest in a while.

I'm guessing it's heavier because I'm getting more oestrogen out of Estradot50 than Evorel50, that's how it feels.

meno-mel

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2023, 08:49:39 AM »

Hello meno-mel

I have been post meno for a long time and a few years ago I was told that anything above 4mm needed to be investigated. At that time my lining was 4.9mm so I had a hysteroscopy and all was fine. About a year ago I had a scan that showed a lining of 2mm which the consultant said was just right for my age etc.

I am sure other ladies will be along to advise you but I think a lining above 4 mm prompts scans etc.
I hope this helps you and take care.

K.
Hi Kathleen,
Do you still have bleeds with your HRT?
It's the part I find most confusing. I don't bleed any more naturally, but every time I go on HRT I have a monthly 5-day bleed exactly like a period and no breakthrough bleeding in between.
I know my mum gave up HRT around the age of 60 because she was fed up bleeding every month.
But it seems some people, in fact many people, can use HRT without bleeding, even with an intact uterus.
I don't know if there is an HRT that won't make me bleed.

Jules

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2023, 08:50:33 AM »

I had a scan 18 months ago and mine was 2mm and apparently that's normal for my age. I'm 65.

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2023, 09:14:13 AM »

Hello again ladies.

meno-mel. -  I don't have periods or regular bleeding with my HRT and my last natural period was thirteen years ago. 

Since starting HRT in 2013 I have had breakthrough bleeding when my oestrogen dose was too high or when beginning a new regime after a break.

I have had a few investigations and each time the bleeding was attributed to the HRT as no other causes could be found. As I say, I don't bleed usually and my current regime is one 1mg sachet of Sandrena gel daily ( this is the equivalent of a 50 mcg patch or two pumps of Oestrogel) and a 100mcg Cyclogest pessary for the progesterone part which I use on alternate nights.

I hope this is helpful and take care.

K.

Nas

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2023, 10:06:48 AM »

Maybe consider a mirena to control the bleeding?

Yes it’s comparable to marmite, but In the main, it does a grand job of maintaining the womb lining.

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2023, 04:27:55 PM »

Hi Meno-mel

I am a bit confused. Sorry I haven't followed your story as I'm a bit sporadic on the forum these days.

However - how old are you and are you definitely post-menopause?

If you are not post-menopause and your natural periods are breaking through the hRT cycle then scanning won't be able to tell you very much. If you are post-meno then as already said, the only time to have a scan is immediately post bleed so your lining is at its thinnest. This of course is tricky eg last scan I went to was something like 7 or 8 days after a bleed and it was 9 mm. Cue hysterosocopy and biopsy etc (no problems found).

How dare the clinic control how you take your progesterone - I mean artificially try to regulate your cycle if your body is saying not!! I mean surely there must be leeway on when you can have a scan? Is this NHS or private? If private then they have to c hange it. If NHS just say that date is not convenient and then reschedule for when you think you will eg be 7 days after day 1 of bleed.

There is also greater tolerance of lining thickness if on HRT, and especially if there is abnormal bleeding.

If you're having very heavy periods and are post-menopause then something else might be causing the bleed. If you are peri - and would like to increase the oestrogen then an increase in progesterone would also be needed, and in any case this may be beneficial to reduce the bleeding.

As Nas says, a Mirena should do the trick re bleeding ....

Hurdity x

Wrensong

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2023, 08:38:03 PM »

When scanned at a private hospital several years postmenopause, I was told (below) 4mm was the magic number & my lining was at that time 1-2mm on low dose cyclical HRT.  The following year I had some mid-cycle spotting so was scanned at an NHS hospital post-withdrawal bleed on higher dose oestradiol & the lining was 6mm, which was way more than I expected.  I was anticipating another hysteroscopy but to my surprise the sonographer said she thought that measurement would probably be deemed OK on HRT, especially as the lining was smooth & regular, with no evident abnormalities & sure enough, both GP & Gynae were happy with it & no hysteroscopy was required.  That said, I was on the waiting list for hysterectomy, so perhaps they were more relaxed knowing the uterus was coming out at some point.
Wx
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 08:59:29 PM by Wrensong »

meno-mel

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2023, 07:45:19 AM »

When scanned at a private hospital several years postmenopause, I was told (below) 4mm was the magic number & my lining was at that time 1-2mm on low dose cyclical HRT.  The following year I had some mid-cycle spotting so was scanned at an NHS hospital post-withdrawal bleed on higher dose oestradiol & the lining was 6mm, which was way more than I expected.  I was anticipating another hysteroscopy but to my surprise the sonographer said she thought that measurement would probably be deemed OK on HRT, especially as the lining was smooth & regular, with no evident abnormalities & sure enough, both GP & Gynae were happy with it & no hysteroscopy was required.  That said, I was on the waiting list for hysterectomy, so perhaps they were more relaxed knowing the uterus was coming out at some point.
Wx
Hi Wrensong, sorry to be nosey, but why were you having a hysterectomy if there was nothing abnormal?

Thanks for all the responses, it helps me think to get more viewpoints!

It's NHS and I went on the list in October for abnormal post meno bleeding, first appointment offered was in August and I thought it was deliberately on day 28, but the HRT nurse said no, they don't make their own appointments any more, it's apparantly more efficient to have scan dates booked by some guy miles away with no knowledge of when the scan needs to be  :o

She said she didn't want to cancel the appointment I have, because after accepting it, I might not get another for months if I cancel.

I'm 53 and my GP told me I'm post meno because before HRT I had over a year period free. The HRT nurse says if I think my periods are periods and not breakthrough bleeding then I'm peri. This was sort of backed up by the fact for a year on conti regimens I bled five days a month and not inbetween times. I don't see how breakthrough bleeding could follow the cycle of periods unless it was my own body producing it.
Pages: [1] 2