Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Switching to Mirena + oestrogen patches?  (Read 617 times)

CarolineM

Switching to Mirena + oestrogen patches?
« on: July 14, 2023, 12:20:55 PM »

Hi all,

I've recently had to come off Evorel Conti after 4.5 months of continual bleeding that went on past the 6-month period. Got investigated and all is OK, fortunately. Now thinking about what to move to.

I was fine on Evorel Sequi (50mg), but would really like an HRT combination where I have no periods (spent a fortune in tampons this year!).

I'm thinking of 50mg Evorel patches and the Mirena. My question is, if it turns out that 50mg oestrogen isn't enough and I need to move to 75mg will the Mirena still be OK? In the month before I switched to Conti I was getting the odd mild flush creeping in, so wondering if my body was gearing up to need more oestrogen. I've taken oral progesterones before (mini pill and femosten) and it made me depressed so I want to avoid that, mood was fine on the patches.

I could always go back to Evorel Sequi, but at 55 I've had enough of periods :-)

Any ideas would be great, thank you,

Caroline xx

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
Re: Switching to Mirena + oestrogen patches?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 12:46:00 PM »

There's another combined patch called femseven conti listed in the Treatments - HRT Preparations - For Postmenopause section on this site.

Evorel didn't suit you, femseven might be perfect, who knows?

The NHS always push Evorel because it's the cheapest and works for a lot of women, it didn't suit me either, I just switched from Evorel50 to Estradot50 and the difference is huge.

And yes, I was told the mirena would cover me whatever dose of oestrogen I ended up with, whereas with utrogestan (200mg for 12 days) I have to have a scan before I can go above a 50mg oestrogen patch.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 01:16:28 PM by meno-mel »

SarahT

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 03:15:36 PM »

Hi,

I am on estradot 125 and the mirena coil. When I last increased my hrt patch I made  a point to check if the coil would provide enough progesterone for this strength patch, and my gp assured me it would.

CarolineM

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 04:05:49 PM »

Thank-you meno-mel and SarahT, that's reassuring about the Mirena being enough, and I'll certainly look into Estradot x

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 06:09:03 PM »

The mirena is usually the best option to stop problem bleeding. Double dose of utrogeston is another option.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 06:19:57 PM »

I am on 4 pumps of Estrogel, think that is roughly equivalent to a 100 patch. GP said my Mirena would cover that amount.

SarahT

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 06:23:26 PM »

Initially I did have some sporting for a few weeks after coil was fitted, and occasionally get the odd day of spotting too. So it can take some a while to fully settle down. But am hugely relieved to Not have proper bleeding anymore. No regrets from my side.