Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Feeling awful stopping HRT abruptly  (Read 541 times)

Renee

Feeling awful stopping HRT abruptly
« on: July 13, 2023, 11:47:54 PM »

Hello ladies,
I am 57 and post menopausal about 6/7 years.i was taking Tibolone and decreased to 1 every 3 days then taken off to see how I would feel.
Within weeks I felt different with agitation, anxiety, very low mood, no libido, itching etc.
My GP decided to start me on a low dose patch and oral capsule to check how I would feel but within weeks I started spot bleeding then it was getting heavier and more frequent.

I was sent for a scan on my uterus 10 days ago and my scan results were sent to my GP on the same day then my GP phoned also that day which has worried me. Anyway. I have a thickening of the womb which is 5.5 and a fibroid.

My GP said stop all HRT today and has referred for an urgent biopsy on my uterus. Now I am very restless, anxious, low mood, itchy, IBS has returned, insomnia etc.

I'm sure all these symptoms are due to stopping HRT abruptly. Any advice to help these awful symptoms.

Thank you. X

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
Re: Feeling awful stopping HRT abruptly
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 09:22:41 AM »

I'd put money on your uterus building its lining in response to stopping tibolone and also to starting oestrogen, both these will build up the lining, then the progesterone is to help it not build much and to shed itself.

Why did they take you off tibolone when you felt well with that?

I'm 53 and I'm booked for a scan 28 days after my last period started, to determine if I'm allowed tibolone or not. They said to come for my scan whether I've started bleeding or not, which I was planning to do anyway. My periods vary from 24 days to 34 days apart and ignore when I take progesterone for 12 days.

The only other time the lining was measured, it was 6mm in my mid thirties, so 5.5mm sounds ok to me.

If the lining is thin, just before my normally very heavy period is due, then I can have tibolone to trial, but if my blood pressure rises I have to stop it again. My blood pressure always rises if I'm short of oestrogen, so all in all I don't think I'm getting it :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Feeling awful stopping HRT abruptly
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2023, 10:14:54 AM »

Itn's it just the Mine Field  >:(

Renee - could you return to the regime you were on with the Tibolone [Tolberone  ::)] to C how it affects you? 

Your GP is covering all the options.  A biopsy will show where the uterus is at this moment, it will depend on whether there is a bleed B4 the exam as to how much lining is shed.  What did your GP say as 'urgent', the recommendation is fast track within 2-3 weeks.  Let us know how you get on.

5.5 is within normal limits.  A fibroid is probably being aggravated by the new HRT regime . 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Try not to worry, 'urgent' is more a medical term .