Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Antihistamine  (Read 2265 times)

Mouse60

Antihistamine
« on: July 12, 2023, 07:46:33 AM »

Anyone else using antihistamines to help VA symptoms? I was taking them for hay fever earlier in the summer and then read about how they can help with VA. They do help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Antihistamine
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 08:53:57 AM »

Morning.  Where did U read that info.?

VA symptoms can be eased with appropriate localised/internal treatments.  4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there and my GP prescribed 'ovestin'.  Do read 'the bladder issues' and vaginal atrophy threads, make notes.

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 02:39:04 PM »

I'm not sure this is correct, I think I read they could have the opposite effect

Ermin2trude

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 04:23:02 PM »

Oh yes, there are lots of studies on histamines and bladder issues (interstitial cystitis). I find taking antihistamines help. Hydroxicine is particularly beneficial, although vitamin c is a natural antihistamine so you could try that too.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 05:01:50 PM »

By mouth though?

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 05:19:49 PM »

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 06:02:04 PM »

Tnx Taz - I think that anti-histamine are specifically designed for hay fever etc.,, I have used them to aid sleep in the past.  If not they would be on the NHS list of treatments, surely?

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2023, 07:10:38 PM »

Mouse60

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2023, 09:49:13 PM »

To be clear, I am not suggesting them alone.
I use Vagifem and a cream - prescribed.
But antihistamines definitely help with itching.
Makes sense when you think about it.
And no they aren’t designed specifically for hay fever but to counteract a histamine over response by the body which is why they help.

Ermin2trude

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2023, 07:39:21 AM »

In the USA Hydroxycine (an antihistamine ) is regular treatment for bladder issues. Here’s a link

https://www.ichelp.org/understanding-ic/medications/antihistamines/#:~:text=Hydroxyzine%20has%20been%20shown%20to,Daytime%20frequency

There is actually a lot of information on the internet and published studies for using this particular antihistamine.

Wrensong

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2023, 08:38:40 AM »

I think everyone is right here!  Antihistamines can dry out mucous membranes, so that can include the GU tract, but as has also been said here, antihistamines are sometimes recommended for the management of interstitial cystitis.  A very good BMS registered gynae who's fully aware of the problems of GSM & the various prescription treatments for it also recommended following a low histamine/histamine reducing diet for my longstanding IC & supplements with antihistamine properties such as quercetin.  I think for women who suffer both bladder & vaginal symptoms it's a question of knowing a range of options we can experiment with, either individually or in combination, to find what works for our particular needs.  Personally, to manage GSM & IC flares, as well as systemic HRT I use Vagifem with the weaker of the 2 estriol creams (0.01%) externally, as well as taking care with diet to limit those foods & drinks thought most likely to be problematic for bladder inflammation.  I'm also currently trialling Sea Buckthorn, which I've not found very helpful in the past but I have some to use up in the fridge & a recent IC flare means I've needed all the help I can get!
Wx

Ayesha

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2023, 09:30:48 AM »

Me and drugs don't make a happy marriage, I took one non drowsy antihistamine in the evening, I slept so long my husband thought I had died as he had trouble trying to wake me the following morning. I was totally out for the count and the following day I could hardly function.

I wont be looking at this type of treatment for VA but I can understand that it might remove the itching part of it, experimenting with antihistamines is not for me, unfortunately.

jaypo

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2023, 01:14:57 PM »

Funnily enough Ayesha, I sometimes take a non drowsy antihistamine for my anxiety but always take it at bedtime as it zonks me out 🤷‍♀️

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2023, 09:46:09 AM »

Oh yes, there are lots of studies on histamines and bladder issues (interstitial cystitis). I find taking antihistamines help. Hydroxicine is particularly beneficial, although vitamin c is a natural antihistamine so you could try that too.
I think hydroxyzine calms the CNS, like clonidine, gabapentin, black cohosh or cyclizine. All are helpful for problems with your internal temperature control as well, after it gets knocked sideways by oestrogen withdrawal.

Ayesha

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2023, 11:02:37 AM »

Funnily enough Ayesha, I sometimes take a non drowsy antihistamine for my anxiety but always take it at bedtime as it zonks me out 🤷‍♀️

Well I know a sleeping pill that's easily available over the counter if ever I need one and to help if my anxiety gets the better of me   ;D