Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Link between HRT and anaemia?  (Read 741 times)

AM16

Link between HRT and anaemia?
« on: July 11, 2023, 03:37:05 PM »

Hello!

I’ve been on HRT since December and am generally feeling loads better on Everol Sequi which I started due to crippling night sweats, VA symptoms and headaches.

The GP ordered some blood tests when I went for an HRT checkup in April and it showed I was borderline anaemic. I don’t eat a lot of red meat but eat healthily and I’ve felt ok so this was a surprise. I’ve had IBS symptoms my whole life and had a colonoscopy a couple of years ago which showed no issues and conclusion was intolerance to wheat but not celiac disease.

The GP wanted to start me on iron tablets, but I know these irritate my bowel more so I persuaded them to let me try Spatone for 6 weeks before a retest as I used this when pregnant successfully.

The retest was this week and while some levels have increased a little, others are worse! :-((

I know when I speak to the GP on Saturday they’ll want me to take strong iron tablets, but I equally know they will totally disrupt my bowel and stomach which will be a bit miserable.

I’ve got two questions really - does anyone know if HRT can stop you absorbing iron, particularly the progesterone element? I’ve never been anaemic before and I’m wondering if it’s a coincidence that I’m on HRT. 

Also, has anyone used an iron prescription that’s gentle on the bowel and stomach? I love Spatone and will be gutted not to continue with it.

Thanks so much! X

Wrensong

Re: Link between HRT and anaemia?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 08:13:25 PM »

Iron citrate affects bowel function less - not sure of the form in Spatone?  I get mine from Nature's Best.  Prescription strength is higher though. 

Don't think your transdermal HRT should cause anaemia unless you have heavy bleeds on it or diarrhoea possibly preventing you absorbing nutrients?

If you are wheat intolerant I'm assuming you exclude it (as I do) otherwise it could cause inflammation that hinders absorption of nutrients.  I tested negative for coeliac on biopsy taken during gastroscopy, but was still advised to avoid wheat about a decade ago by a Gastroenterologist & do find my digestive symptoms are better for excluding it.
Wx

Ermin2trude

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 08:12:34 AM »

Hello,

I’m coeliac and very anaemic and on HRT. I’ve done everything possible to stop any bleeding in the hope my iron levels would be okay, but it makes no difference. The HRT hasn’t changed my iron levels and I still m have to take 210mg of ferrous fumarate every day. It took a while to work out a way of taking it without awful digestive issues, but I find that taking it with my breakfast and making sure I remain upright for about 30 minutes (either sitting or wandering about) stops the side effects. I also don’t have anything acidic for breakfast (no fruit juice etc), just a mug of tea and bland gluten free toast. Not even a sniff of marmalade. It seems to work (been 8 years now). When I do have something more exciting for breakfast (not often, but on holiday or staying in a hotel) I forgo the iron tablets and my iron levels are still acceptable.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 08:22:09 AM »

Re Iron formulations. When pregnant I was anaemic and also hated the iron tablets and then discovered the natural Floradix, which is a tonic (though it does come as tablets too). It's quite expensive but really good. H and B have it and probably other places too. As I am older and still have a withdrawal bleed from my HRT I do still have a gulp of it every now and then just to make sure my iron levels are OK, though I never have them measured, but I do eat a very good mixed omnivorous diet.

Hurdity x

GraceM

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 09:50:48 AM »

Not sure about HRT and iron levels. Mine were low because of heavy bleeding.  I use Active Iron which is gentle on the stomach.

AM16

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 12:25:10 PM »

Thanks so much for all the really helpful replies and tips about what iron to try.

I’ll see what the GP says on Saturday and give whatever they suggest a try and hope the side effects aren’t too bad. I’ve been taking gentle iron 20mg from H&B for the last 2 days in the interim and so far so good! I like the idea of taking the tablet in the morning and moving around to give it time to wiggle its way down and avoiding citrus (which can also irritate my stomach anyway).

xx

Clovie

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 01:48:34 PM »

I became severely anaemic whilst on HRT. I was still having my own periods AND had the withdrawal bleed from sequential HRT.
I took iron tablets to restore my blood levels and I was put onto continuous.
My womb lining was thin when I had it checked after the anaemia diagnosis - but I was scared before this to drop the withdrawal bleed (although I always used it every 3 month instead of monthly anyway) as it had been drummed into me how important it was. I have never been able to coincide my withdrawal bleed with my own period as I have a short cycle (around 21-23 days)

Ive been on continuous HRT now for 6 months nearly and I am still having my own regular periods. But at least Im not doing the withdrawal one too. Oh and I'm 59  :o