Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fibroids/ oestrogen  (Read 2044 times)

Nas

Fibroids/ oestrogen
« on: July 08, 2023, 03:21:21 PM »

Does oestrogen feed fibroids?
I’m currently in a lot of pain, in my left side/ lower back/ pelvic and hip area. Over the counter tablets don’t touch the pain.

I had a CT scan a couple of weeks ago. All organs clear apparently, but a bulky uterus was detected. Last September they found a small fibroid in the left area and I’m wondering now whether the HRT has been feeding the fibroid or indeed if more have grown?

I can’t have an ultra sound until 26th July.

I rang the nurse who fitted my coil on Thursday. She said it could be the coil has shifted, but a scan will detect that. No bleeding.

Went to a&e during the week asi was in so much pain and was told to up the pain killers and wait for scan! Oh and it could be musculoskeletal!

Kidney, gallbladder, fallopian tubes and ovaries all clear.

The pain is like a sharp stabbing burning twisting pain all on the left side. It’s there all the time and I just don’t know what to do.

My plan once the scan is done, is to ask for a gynaecology referral and ask for a total hysterectomy.

Christ it just never ends 😢
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 03:23:30 PM by Nas »

Dierdre

Re: Fibroids/ oestrogen
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 03:32:37 PM »

Did the pain start before or after you had the coil fitted?

Nas

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 03:35:54 PM »

This particular pain started 9 months after the coil was fitted. The CT did show it was in the uterus but the nurse said it can still move within the uterus?

Bit confused with it all.

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 03:37:48 PM »

Hi Nas,so sooooo many things it could be,left side pain is where I get mine but I have diverticulitis, I believe this can only be detected with either a colonoscopy or Ct colonography,or maybe the coil is hitting a nerve. I think oestrogen does feed fibroids but don't take my word for it, I had a hysterectomy because of ever growing fibroids. If your scan was clear,I'm sure there's nothing too much to worry about

Nas

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 03:45:37 PM »

I haven’t had the ultra sound scan yet jaypo, so until I have had that scan, I will worry unfortunately.

Penguin

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2023, 04:43:27 PM »

My friend has large fibroids and is waiting for an operation to remove them. Prior to the op they have made her have injections to effectively put her into meno by blocking estrogen so that they can shrink a bit if possible. Even prior to the injections she was suffering from peri meno symptoms but has been banned from hrt until the fibroid are removed as was told estrogen would make them grow and make her bleeding worse.

Also wondering if you could pay for an osteopath appointment to see if it is musculoskeletal. I often get left sided sharp lower abdominal pain and it is due to my hips being misaligned from pregnancy and the muscles nearby (ql and psoas in particular) tightening. My osteopath sorts it out but it always comes back unfortunately.

I can imagine how worried you are, but would assume that if it was anything bad you'd have other signs now as well that weren't explainable. I hope you are okay x

Nas

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2023, 04:52:42 PM »

Thanks penguin.
Yes think you are right. I would have other signs and symptoms by now.

The bulky uterus is bugging me.
The coil stopped the post meno bleeding dead and I was having bleeding way before the fibroid was detected. Just hope my womb isn’t riddled with fibroids!

Have to wait and see I guess.

I may invest in an osteopath, if the scan comes back clear.  If anything sinister, as that will be all there is to consider. Maybe some arthritis?

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2023, 05:03:24 PM »

I haven’t had the ultra sound scan yet jaypo, so until I have had that scan, I will worry unfortunately.
Sorry, I read it as.....went for a scan,not wait
I know health anxiety an awful thing but it probably will be something simple  :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 06:12:32 PM by jaypo »

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2023, 05:08:16 PM »

Hello Nas.

I think it is generally accepted that oestrogen causes fibroids to grow although this didn't happen in my case and my small fibroid actually shrunk and disappeared on HRT so perhaps there is more variation than we think.

You say that ovaries are all clear but could you have developed a cyst? Your scan at the end of the month should tell you and you may be offered a hysterectomy if that is the case. My MIL had fibroids and an ovarian cyst but she only experienced pain when the cyst twisted and she was offered a hysterectomy soon after.

I hope you feel better soon and good luck with the scan.

Take care.

K.

Penguin

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2023, 05:26:14 PM »

Its disappointing that with so much pain they didn't just scan you at a&e.

Nas

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 05:26:33 PM »

Thanks Kathleen
Maybe there is a cyst. They never mentioned it on the CT scan result.

Will have to wait and see what the ultrasound reversals i suppose.

Penguin

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2023, 05:29:33 PM »

Kathleen, is the twisting called a torsion do you know, or is that something different?

Nas

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2023, 05:30:48 PM »

I know penguin.
The doctor I saw was so dismissive of my pain. I was very annoyed.

If I get any more bouts of that pain I had on Wednesday I will ring 111.

Just about had enough of pain and bloody menopause  :(

My life is permanently dominated with all these damm issues.

Something isn’t right for sure. X

Nellf

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2023, 06:13:12 PM »

I have a fibroid on the outside of my womb and due to the fact I'm taking estrogen I have a regular yearly scan to check it's not getting larger.  I'm not in any discomfort.  I Hope that you can get some resolution.  Take carex

Jules

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2023, 01:22:22 PM »

I get left sided lower pain with IBS. Spasm in the colon. Was persistent. I had a sigmoidoscopy and all was well and that recalibrated my colon too
Pages: [1] 2 3