Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Docs refusing enough VA treatment  (Read 4461 times)

pepperminty

Re: Docs refusing enough VA treatment
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2023, 05:00:05 PM »

Write  or email your Gp and politely ask on what medical grounds and basis are they are refusing treatment? Inform them that you are aware of the risks and benefits and would like vagifem to be prescribed however many weekly you need .
Explain that them refusing treatment is effecting your quality of life.

Add some  links :

https://thebms.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/16-BMS-TfC-Menopause-Guidance-Top-Ten-Tips-01-original-NOV2022-A.pdf

https://www.chelwest.nhs.uk/professionals/gp-hrt-advice-guidance     

- write  saying something like  "may I draw your attention to page bla bla and paragraph so and so. Even copy and paste the relevant bits stating I have copied the most pertinent points for ease. Finish with I appreciate your time and support in this matter and look forward to you considering  prescribing the vaginal estrogen that i require to live  a pain free life  etc etc

Gp's are only human and sometimes need a prod in the right direction - politely of course- they should be looking after and working with us .

PMXX

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2023, 05:01:18 PM »

Too many read  the leaflets in the boxes  >:(

Lily35

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2023, 06:16:40 PM »

Thank you all for your supportive responses. 
I have actually kept some back so it’s not an urgent issue but I can’t see me ever getting down to 2 x weekly so I really need to get it sorted.
I shouldn’t have to pay for OTC meds just because my doctors are clueless.
I will see how it goes with this other doctor next week and then I will put in a complaint and ask for them to take advice from a menopause clinic. 
I have a mirena for my systemic so not sure what their issue is.  I guess I could ask to increase my Sandrena instead.
I could use the ovestin internally but I find that I get bladder urgency issues if I use that rather than the Vagifem.  I don’t particularly want Estring.

I really struggled to get this under control - it has literally taken 2 years and the thought of going backwards is frankly distressing. 
Bloody doctors!  :(

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2023, 07:05:17 PM »

I agree.  If you have found a regime, stick to it.  We shouldn't have to fight for what works, after all - if we find something that suits, it saves, in the long run, continued drain on NHS time with all the visits to the GP!  ???  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2023, 07:05:54 PM »

Perhaps buy a copy of "Me and My Menopausal Vagina" written by a Member of the Forum to hand to your GP Practice ;-).

Katejo

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2023, 07:58:23 PM »

Hi

My doctor’s surgery refuses to give me any more than 3 a week. I requested more and the pharmacist refused, claiming it was unsafe.

I told them it was a load of rubbish, but they won’t prescribe me anymore.

I’m with Newson health and I have to buy on a private prescription for the extra needed.

Best wishes
  Have you tried pointing out that the 2/3 a week rule is based on the previous version when each Vagifem was 25mcg not 10 mcg as they are now? I had a problem with my GP trying to restrict me to 2 a week until an NHS urogynaecologist told me that 5/6 a week was fine and wrote to them to say so.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2023, 08:03:56 PM »

Did your GP agree to prescribing on that advice Katejo?

Katejo

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2023, 03:21:00 AM »

Did your GP agree to prescribing on that advice Katejo?
  Yes they did. I haven't had any supply problems since then.

Joaniepat

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2023, 05:46:02 AM »

I wonder what these GPs and pharmacists think will happen if you have more than 2 or 3 doses a week. Bearing in mind it's a minuscule dose and not absorbed systemically, just what is their problem? I suppose they are just jobsworths.
JP x

Taz2

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2023, 06:30:26 AM »

I'm just catching up with this thread. Are they just following NICE guidelines? My GP looked them up at my last consultation as she described things as 'very poor down here' mid examination. They do say 2 a week but she also discovered that there should be a break annually to check if treatment is still needed! Luckily she discounted that. I am issued with a full box every month on repeat so she obviously ignored the rest too thank goodness. https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/incontinence-urinary-in-women/prescribing-information/intravaginal-oestrogen/#:~:text=Vaginal%20tablets%3A,vaginal%20tablet%20twice%20a%20week.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2023, 07:51:27 AM »

Ladies know whether treatment is still required.  I don't need ovestin as often as previously, I recognise the symptoms. 

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2023, 08:26:26 AM »

I'm just catching up with this thread. Are they just following NICE guidelines? My GP looked them up at my last consultation as she described things as 'very poor down here' mid examination. They do say 2 a week but she also discovered that there should be a break annually to check if treatment is still needed! Luckily she discounted that. I am issued with a full box every month on repeat so she obviously ignored the rest too thank goodness. https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/incontinence-urinary-in-women/prescribing-information/intravaginal-oestrogen/#:~:text=Vaginal%20tablets%3A,vaginal%20tablet%20twice%20a%20week.

Taz x
I'm confused, what would the annual break test for?

We're not going to stop having a deficiency in hormones post menopause, asking whether you still have sex is verbal and no break is needed to ask that, I wonder what other changes they expect?

ie what actual checks do they make during the break?

Taz2

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2023, 09:50:35 AM »

No idea meno-mel. I just found the guidelines.

Taz

Dierdre

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2023, 10:14:13 AM »

Ladies know whether treatment is still required.  I don't need ovestin as often as previously, I recognise the symptoms.
That's interesting CLKD, I wonder what's happened that you no longer need ovestin as often?

Minusminnie

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2023, 11:22:58 AM »

That's interesting CLKD, I wonder what's happened that you no longer need ovestin as often?

:-\  interesting but for benefit of others any explanation ?

Only my own experience but reducing becomes “risky”. The one time I got fed up with all of it & stopped using ovestin the burning & itching was pretty bad probably worse than when I started out. One doc told me that it is stimulating the muscle tissues.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5