Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Docs refusing enough VA treatment  (Read 4455 times)

Lily35

Docs refusing enough VA treatment
« on: July 07, 2023, 05:57:42 PM »

Hello all
After 2 long years of trying to get my VA under control I am now finally comfortable.  Feels like I have my life back.
My lovely menopause prescriber has left the practice however and my GP has been putting me in for hrt reviews every 3 months now and took meds off repeat.
Was using Vagifem daily and ovestin a tiny bit outside 3 x a week.
Following changing from Lenzetto to Sandrena for my systemic I am finally feeling better and managed to reduce to every other day Vagifem then 3 x weekly.

I tried twice a week and had a flare up so back on 3 x however GP is refusing to give me them.
I have complained and spoken to the prescribing team and had another gp appointment but they still say I can only have 2 a week.
I have booked in with another gp next week but does anyone have any suggestions!  I have mentioned Nice Guidelines etc but deaf ears.

I simply cannot go through all this again.
Thanks  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Docs refusing enough VA treatment
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2023, 06:04:11 PM »

Your GPs are wrong.  Although the leaflet in the VA treatment boxes does suggest that we can 'manage' with 2 doses a week, many of us know that may be impossible.

I would contact Dr Louise Newsom or look on her web-site.  They're maybe advice there as well as on MM.  It may be worth your while sending an e-mail to Dr Currie for the small charge, asking the question: you can tell her who the GP is and which Practice is involved, her reply should be positive and inform the GP what is actually required.

There is a VA product to buy from BOOTS which might be worth a try.  'gina' I think.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 06:28:49 PM »

I am so sorry this is happening to you. :( It really is unfair and frustrating how ignorant some GPs are. Twice a week of VA treatment would not be enough for me either.

Is it possible to gather written information and send it to the practice manager and tell them this policy needs to be changed?

Having HRT reviews every three months sounds too much. It is almost like they do not know anything about HRT and it scares them.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 06:40:55 PM »

U could ring to ask for a referral to a dedicated menopause clinic, not a gynae ;-)

U could also ask the Practice Manager where the GPs are getting their idea that 2 days a week is 'enough'.  Point out that what is suggested in the leaflet in the box is out of date.

Joaniepat

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 08:16:23 PM »

Have you ever tried the Estring? That would give you the equivalent of 5 Vagifem a week,  although I appreciate that isn't really the point and of course you should get whatever you need. It's ridiculous the way your presciber is behaving.
JP x

Peanut31

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 10:31:37 PM »

Hi

My doctor’s surgery refuses to give me any more than 3 a week. I requested more and the pharmacist refused, claiming it was unsafe.

I told them it was a load of rubbish, but they won’t prescribe me anymore.

I’m with Newson health and I have to buy on a private prescription for the extra needed.

Best wishes

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2023, 08:42:06 AM »

Peanut - that should't be necessary.  Time that Louise had a stern word with your GP Practice and the Pharmacist involved.

'dangerous'  >:(.  Let a man get VA and see how quickly he rushes for treatment? 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 11:57:42 AM by CLKD »

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2023, 10:03:56 AM »

Hi Lily35, I've a similar problem, my GP and also the menopause clinic here say 2 a week is my max and it's not enough.
Luckily they usually let me order it early so I have enough to keep symptoms at bay at the moment.

Like CLKD says it can be bought OTC now, called Gina, so why they restrict it on prescription is a mystery. They just like telling women what to do or think we can't be trusted to be sensible, can't think of another reason. One oral oestrogen HRT pill is equivalent to a whole year of daily vagifem, that's what Dr Newson said on a video I watched.

Does anyone know how easily it's bought OTC? Do you need to get a pharmacy prescription for it or is it on the shelves?

Dierdre

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2023, 10:49:14 AM »

Hello all
After 2 long years of trying to get my VA under control I am now finally comfortable.  Feels like I have my life back.
My lovely menopause prescriber has left the practice however and my GP has been putting me in for hrt reviews every 3 months now and took meds off repeat.
Was using Vagifem daily and ovestin a tiny bit outside 3 x a week.
Following changing from Lenzetto to Sandrena for my systemic I am finally feeling better and managed to reduce to every other day Vagifem then 3 x weekly.

I tried twice a week and had a flare up so back on 3 x however GP is refusing to give me them.
I have complained and spoken to the prescribing team and had another gp appointment but they still say I can only have 2 a week.
I have booked in with another gp next week but does anyone have any suggestions!  I have mentioned Nice Guidelines etc but deaf ears.

I simply cannot go through all this again.
Thanks  :'(

You can get round this by either buying a box of Gina from the chemist to supplement the extra one,  I know they're expensive (£29.99) but a box would last 24 weeks if you used one a week. Sorry not sure if you're eligible? You could order Vagifem online with Superdrug also. Just a few questions and then they deliver for about £40. I've done this when needed a extra box for a long holiday and didn't have time to order an extra prescription.

The other alternative is to use the Ovestin internally once a week so you're back to 3xweek with a local estrogen.
I'm prescribed Vagifem 5 times a week and Ovestin externally every night so if I need to I use the Ovestin internally for 2 nights.

Peanut31

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2023, 11:05:04 AM »

I spoke to Newson clinic about my GP surgery refusing anymore than 3 a week.

They offered to send a letter, but said that it is up to the surgery and they often will not overrule their own staff (pharmacists).

Best wishes

Jules

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 11:23:52 AM »

I know how you feel. Its frustrating. I had this problem.  They would only prescribe 8 weeks and made me take a break. That didn't even allow enough time to take effect. The first time I tried vagifem I got slight bleeding after a while so had to stop and have an exam and an ultrasound so it put me off. The next time I tried I got breast pain so stopped again for a break as advised. This next time I've been okay and I told my GP the advice given here and this particular one prescribed and told me to use it how I needed to. She sounded more as though she couldn't be bothered to argue.  My symptoms aren't as bad as some on here. Twice a week is enough. I'm still a bit nervous of it's continuing use though. My sister is 20 months younger and has none of these problems.

Ayesha

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2023, 11:27:04 AM »

Does anyone know how easily it's bought OTC? Do you need to get a pharmacy prescription for it or is it on the shelves?

If you are over 50 and already being prescribed Vagifem from your GP its very easy to buy over the counter without questions asked.
I had no problem with my prescribing pharmacy in asking for a back up box of Gina/Vagifem as I have to take one every day.
They did have to order it in for me but they were happy to do that.

Ayesha

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2023, 11:34:28 AM »

I think I read on here about being able to buy systemic HRT over the counter in Spain without a prescription, now that is something that would never happen here in the UK as the regulations are so strict.

Someone somewhere came to the conclusion that it's totally safe for women to buy Vaginal Atrophy treatment over the counter, that someone obviously came to the conclusion that it's a safe treatment, I think we should stop worrying about it and use at will, as they say!  :)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2023, 12:01:03 PM »

Apart from the fact that GPs don't seem to 'get it'  >:(

Gina will be prescribed by BOOTS to women over 55 whop haven't had a period for 12 months.  Dr Louise must be so frustrated when women pay for her advice but GPs won't take it on board.  Many GPs however won't prescribe when a patient has been to a private consult especially if the GP didn't refer them.

Dierdre

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2023, 12:49:21 PM »

I think I read on here about being able to buy systemic HRT over the counter in Spain without a prescription, now that is something that would never happen here in the UK as the regulations are so strict.

Someone somewhere came to the conclusion that it's totally safe for women to buy Vaginal Atrophy treatment over the counter, that someone obviously came to the conclusion that it's a safe treatment, I think we should stop worrying about it and use at will, as they say!  :)
You can buy a lot of other meds OTC too. My SIL lived there and bought her blood pressure pills OTC.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5