Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen crash and gel dose question  (Read 410 times)

Bupster

• First Flush
Oestrogen crash and gel dose question
« on: July 06, 2023, 12:48:52 PM »

Hi guys,

My menopause experience so far hasn't been *too* awful but I'm struggling a bit right now. Last year I went on HRT - the oestrogel - after a menopausal crash left me barely able to function. It took me a while but I found four pumps a day seemed to keep me steady, and after a nasty wrestle with Provera I went onto Ustrogen and all was well.

Last week I had a massive return of symptoms - poor sleep, night heat, brain fog, and even though I'm on the progesterone-only pill, a really heavy period which is still going.

After a few days of this the penny dropped and I upped my dose to six pumps a day. I got immediate relief though the fog still comes down at 4pm. I messaged my doctor to explain what I'd done, and he was fine with it initially, but after consulting with a gynaecologist, asked me to come back down to four pumps as that's the maximum recommended dose.

I am going to do it but with serious trepidation; so I thought I'd ask on here - has anyone else experienced an oestrogen crash while already on HRT? How did you deal with it? Is anyone on a higher regular dose than four?

ETA - does anyone have experience of having massive fluctuations in your own oestrogen levels?

Thanks loads,
Bupster
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 02:35:34 PM by Bupster »

discogirl

Re: Oestrogen crash and gel dose question
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 01:03:48 PM »

Hi Bupster,

I'm no expert but I know in peri the hormones can fluctuate, 6 pumps a day is a lot but I just wanted to bump this thread up so other more experienced ladies can give some advice.

Take care xxx

Kathleen

Re: Oestrogen crash and gel dose question
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 01:27:00 PM »

Hello Bupster and welcome to the forum.

I was prescribed six pumps of gel by Newson Health which is a private meno clinic.

I am very post meno and six pumps was simply too much gel to manage so the doctor at NH changed me to three sachets of 1mg Sandrena gel which I found much easier to use.

Clearly NH and probably other meno clinics are happy for women to use more than four pumps of gel if necessary.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Take care.

K.