Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: VA - how quickly does it occur?  (Read 495 times)

Witchinghour

VA - how quickly does it occur?
« on: July 08, 2023, 07:16:58 AM »

Just that really.
 :)

Flossieteacake

Re: VA - how quickly does it occur?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 07:20:37 AM »

I imagine it is different for everybody. It seems to creepy up with the person thinking they have thrush and UTIs until the pain never improves with antibiotics. I would advise anybody to use localised oestrogen as soon as possible and not wait for symptoms to get any worse.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 08:18:27 AM »

Witchinghour - you will know if you have it! If you are experiencing any dryness and your periods have started to become irregular then you are likely peri-menopausal and would benefit from local oestrogen. I was prescribed local oestrogen by my doc long before I considered hRT and long before I started getting flushes.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 08:41:06 AM »

It crept up with me.  Intermittent urine infection-type symptoms, treated with anti-biotics because the Nurse didn't send a urine sample to be tested in a Lab.  4 me it was like razor blades  :o up there.  When the samples returned with no growth, my GP prescribed appropriate VA treatment.

Have u read the 'bladder issues' and VA threads?  Make notes ;-).  If you have any worries about VA then get your GP/Nurse Practitioner to prescribe treatment U don't need blood tests nor an exam.. 

Let us know.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 08:46:02 AM »

Hello Witchinghour

I began HRT when I was three years post meno and my VA symptoms were mild. Intercourse was painful and I needed to use the bathroom during the night but other than that I was okay.

A few years ago I came off all HRT and two weeks after my last, low dose of Oestrogen my symptoms ramped up considerably. I experienced the pain, burning and itching that other ladies talk about and I began to notice my episiotomy scar from over thirty years ago lol. For other reasons I resumed HRT and within two weeks the VA started to settle and return to previous levels.

Just recently I was reducing Oestrogen again and at a very low dose the dryness became more noticeable. I increased my gel a little and, once more within two weeks the VA felt much better.

From all of this I have concluded that zero or very low levels of Oestrogen lead to increasing symptoms of VA but  slightly higher amounts of Oestrogen resolve these symptoms after two weeks.

I hope that is helpful to you.

Take care.

K.