Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Anyone just feeling miserable  (Read 2423 times)

Nellf

Anyone just feeling miserable
« on: July 05, 2023, 11:33:20 AM »

Just had the worst night ever.  Post menopausal 5 years now and changed to estraderm 75 and utrogestan 200mg.  Had to reduce the utrogestan because i was feeling depressed anxious and all those horrible feelings.  Suffered the most horrific heart burn last night and had to go back to bed as I didn't sleep.  Not sleeping g either to be honest most nights.  Is anyone else just fee like giving up.  I don't know whether it's my estrogen that's too low or the progesterone.  I feel like I have no quality of life just now and have the most wonderful partner eho is understanding kind and loving.   I'm scared to stop the hrt cos I don't know what's on the other side for me.  Anyone feeling the same.  I'm tired of feeling like this

Penguin

Re: Anyone just feeling miserable
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 11:51:10 AM »

I'm so sorry you are feeling so bad. Do you think the heartburn is due to the utrogestan as i think that is a known side effect? If so then switching to vaginal use might avoid that and at least reduce that symptom.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 12:11:53 PM »

Agree with switching to vaginal use, you shouldn't get heartburn that way. How long have you been on the new regime and what prompted it? Insomnia is often a symptom of low oestrogen but for some people (including me) utrogeston can cause it. It would be better to change one thing at a time or perhaps a couple of months of cyclical hrt if you can't work out which is causing it.

Nellf

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 12:23:37 PM »

Thanks guys.  I do think it's the progesterone.  I get recurrent cystitis and worried that it might spark off an episode.   Seems I get a uti just by the wind changing direction  ::)  Hopefully arrange a call back with my Gp tomorrow.  I'm supposed to be going away on holiday with my aunt a week on Thursday but just can't seem to get up any enthusiasm.  Its such a struggle getting things right.  It's tuff fir us women

Penguin

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 12:27:04 PM »

There is a version of progrsterone you can use rectally, it's called cyclogest, but it's only licensed for fertility use I think
 However, I know some ladies on here have been able to get it so perhaps worth asking your GP. Also, I wonder if you can use utrogestan that way too, not sure, perhaps someone else will know. Either way, heartburn and the risk of gastritis returning,  is the reason I've never used utrogestan orally.

discogirl

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 12:44:33 PM »

Hi Nellf

I just wanted to say that I feel exactly the same. I no longer look forward to my days and nights just hoping i get through them.

I used to be such a happy positive person before meno ravaged my mind and body.

Im sorry your struggling but you are not alone.

I really and truly hope things improve for you

Take care xxx

Nellf

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 01:00:44 PM »

Thanks all.  I just feel like giving up.  It's so nice to have the support of women that know how you feel.  I'm just tired of trying different options all the time and getting nowhere.  It's so hard for us.  Hopefully get a chat with my GP this week

Lots of hugs to all the women out there struggling with all of these symptoms xxx

discogirl

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 01:03:44 PM »

Hi Nellf

Sorry to reply again, but I was having problems with utrogestan, I couldn't tolerate it either orally or vaginally at night as it made me wired and affected my sleep.

I have since started using cyclogest, its off licence I believe for hrt use as Penguin rightly said, but my doctor prescribed it for me no problem. It comes in 200mg and 400mg pessaries. Since I am post meno as well, I use the progesterone every day, I was initially using the cyclogest 200mg every day but after about 12 days it started to make me feel wired so I now cut the 200mg in half and 100mg, which I use rectally.

If you can't use anything vaginally the cyclogest maybe for you. Its also bio-identical

I hope that helps xxx
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 01:07:23 PM by discogirl »

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 01:04:33 PM »

Also wanted to add that if it is only occasional heartburn, a swig of Gaviscon Advance, always stops it in its tracks for me. Better than the Gaviscon that just treats the symptoms.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2023, 02:04:49 PM »

U mention 'uti' however: I would suggest speaking to the Nurse Practitioner and ask her to send a fresh urine sample to a Lab for testing.  Do read the 'bladder issues' and vaginal atrophy threads.  VA can mimic repeated urine-type infection symptoms really really well.  4 me it was like razor blades  : :o up there! 

In the mean time, I would ask for appropriate VA treatment - the idea is that 1 uses it for 2-3 weeks every night then drop down to when necessary.  Some ladies manage with a few nights a week, others require every night for a long time, plus Yes or Sylc moistories.  [I can't spell that word  :-\ ]. 

I've suffered heart burn from an early age, initially caused by anxiety.  In recent years when I developed an associated irritating cough my GP prescribed 'omeprazolol'.  I have found in recent months that anything sugary will cause that cough too, particularly ginger flavoured drinks  :(

Don't give up.  MayB ask for a referral to a dedicated NHS Menopause Clinic, not a Gynae.  The waiting lists are long so getting onto a list sooner rather than later might be a good idea.  Take a list with you to the GP appt..

If HRT is causing really bad side effects would a break of 3 months be appropriate discogirl?  It isn't always a cure. 

We have a holiday thread: would your Aunt have gone through similar, there may be a family link to your symptoms.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 02:06:33 PM by CLKD »

DottyD68

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2023, 02:14:20 PM »

It is such a rollercoaster Nellf but we must not give up.

I'm emerging out of a 10 day period of low motivation, no energy, no sense of purpose etc etc that appears out of nowhere from time to time. It felt particularly bad this time as I've felt pretty good mentally for several weeks/month and almost dared to think I was "back to normal". Am trying to work out if it links to my HRT regime but there never seems to be a consistent pattern and every 3 months or so I feel my own hormones have yet another shift which adds to the confusion.

Back to my mantras "one day at a time" and "it will pass".

You aren't alone.
Hope you're feeling better soon. X

Nellf

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2023, 08:23:22 PM »

Thanks all.  Been taking omeprazole for the heartburn and have a regime where I take antibiotics after sex, not that there's much happening on that front🙄 I eventually went private and was given vagifem but couldn't really take that cos of the irritation.  I have been looking at cyclogest and want to discuss options with my GP.  I truly would be happy to stop the progesterone and just have routine checks.  I'm not taking the utrogestan tonight, so I'll see how it goes.  My poor partner hss been amazing.  It's true a day at a time.   We will get therexxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2023, 08:22:05 AM »

Morning Nellf - initially vaginal atrophy treatment may sting and irritate.  That's usually due to the vulva and vagina area being very thin, the advice is to use a little at first and not to put it too far into the vagina.  Easing the skin so that it becomes comfortable which is why we load for 2-3 weeks.  Some ladies find that a moisturiser as well on the labia helps symptoms.

VA needs treatment to keep the skin soft and supple.  This helps avoid dryness and difficulty with penetration.  I use Ovestin - same idea, different way of delivery.

When I get the need2P symptoms I swallow 2 Nurofen, 3 times a day to help.  Let us know how you get on.

discogirl

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2023, 08:27:19 AM »

U mention 'uti' however: I would suggest speaking to the Nurse Practitioner and ask her to send a fresh urine sample to a Lab for testing.  Do read the 'bladder issues' and vaginal atrophy threads.  VA can mimic repeated urine-type infection symptoms really really well.  4 me it was like razor blades  : :o up there! 

In the mean time, I would ask for appropriate VA treatment - the idea is that 1 uses it for 2-3 weeks every night then drop down to when necessary.  Some ladies manage with a few nights a week, others require every night for a long time, plus Yes or Sylc moistories.  [I can't spell that word  :-\ ]. 

I've suffered heart burn from an early age, initially caused by anxiety.  In recent years when I developed an associated irritating cough my GP prescribed 'omeprazolol'.  I have found in recent months that anything sugary will cause that cough too, particularly ginger flavoured drinks  :(

Don't give up.  MayB ask for a referral to a dedicated NHS Menopause Clinic, not a Gynae.  The waiting lists are long so getting onto a list sooner rather than later might be a good idea.  Take a list with you to the GP appt..

If HRT is causing really bad side effects would a break of 3 months be appropriate discogirl?  It isn't always a cure. 

We have a holiday thread: would your Aunt have gone through similar, there may be a family link to your symptoms.

Hi clkd,

Yes that's always an option.

Don't get me wrong I know hrt doesnt solve everything, but in fits and starts it has been okay for me

Kathleen

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2023, 08:49:06 AM »

Hello Nellf

I just wanted to add my sympathies as I know how you feel. I am also post meno and I am beyond frustrated with it all.

I stopped using Utrogestan about a year ago and I find that Cyclogest is much better. I cut a 200mg pessary in half and use it vaginally every other night. This regime was prescribed to me by Newson Health which is a private meno clinic. For the Oestrogen I use a 1mg sachet of gel daily.

I have been on HRT for a long time and a few years ago I came off it completely to see where I was naturally. For me some night sweats and flushes came back and I noticed some vaginal dryness. I was coping with all of those but then I became very tearful and that bothered me most of all. My GP told me that the crying was due to low Oestrogen so I went back on HRT. I haven't ruled out trying to come off it again in the future though as the symptoms may be different next time.

I hope you find the right regime soon and sending hugs.

Take care.

K.

Pages: [1] 2 3