Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Update to January 29 post - it was cancer  (Read 1915 times)

LA55

• First Flush
Update to January 29 post - it was cancer
« on: July 05, 2023, 09:39:27 AM »

I posted about having watery discharge back in January. It turns out I had endometrial cancer. I want everyone to take any new discharge seriously. My story... I am 68 now. I started having a watery discharge after at least 10 years of no discharge at all. My primary physician tested for bacterial infection - negative. In January I went to a gynecological physician's assistant - she tested for yeast infection - negative. I read on the internet that vaginal atrophy sometimes comes with discharge so I asked p.a. for a Vagifem prescription. I started using that and by April the discharge was worse. It had turned less watery and more brownish. Finally l noticed the smallest bit of pink in the discharge and I told the physician assistant. She ordered a vaginal ultrasound. My endometrial lining was 24 mm thick whereas less than 5 mm is normal for postmenopausal women. I had a virtual consult with an ob/gyn in the beginning of May who said she wanted to do a D&C biopsy and scheduled me for June 9th. She downplayed the cancer possibility, but that seemed a long time for me to wait so I went to see another gynecologist who did an in-office biopsy. That came back positive for cancer. In a few days I had an appointment with a gynecological oncologist who scheduled me for a hysterectomy a week later. Fortunately the cancer was contained in my uterus and surgery was for the cure. The thing I want to stress is that doctors kept asking if I was having bloody discharge and it didn't look bloody to me. So please, if you haven't had discharge for a long time, and then you do, get it checked out - and persevere. I'm so glad I did.

Dierdre

Re: Update to January 29 post - it was cancer
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 10:13:45 AM »

Thankyou LA55 for alerting everyone to this and so glad you have had a positive outcome and are now ok.
Watery discharge is usually a symptom of vaginal  atrophy as you said, so it's difficult to always determine if it's just that and  not anything sinister without scans and biopsy.  Both are usually only ordered on NHS if bleeding or pain is involved by which time cancer is usually established.
Routine pelvic scans would avoid this, it's a pity we don't add this to the cervical smear test and breast screening and extend the age limit or make it indefinite as these diseases dont stop at 65.

discogirl

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 10:15:26 AM »

Hi  LA55

Thanks so much for this update and a worthwhile reminder as well. With discharge its so easy to ignore.

I hope your recovery is going well.

Take care xxx

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 10:26:19 AM »

Thanks for the update and glad it was caught at the point it was curable. I do wish in the UK we had more easy access to routine pelvic exams and scans rather than just when there is a problem. It is very unfair on those who don't have private medical insurance or can't afford to pay out of pocket.

discogirl

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 10:27:53 AM »

I completely agree Penguin x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 10:41:31 AM »

Thanks so much for posting about this LA55. I hope that your recovery is going well and I'm really pleased that the cancer hadn't spread to outside the uterus.

Penguin I totally agree

Taz x

Dotty

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 10:49:48 AM »

Thanks for the update and the warning not to dismiss things.  I hope you are recovering well. xx

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 10:56:20 AM »

Thank you for posting this warning LA55 thank goodness the cancer was confined to the uterus. Wishing you all the very best for your recovery.

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 10:58:00 AM »

Hello LA55

Thank you do much for the update and I hope your recovery goes well.

You are fortunate that your disease was identified early.  Doctors are always telling us that prompt diagnosis and treatment lead to the best outcomes but we are not medics and we need our doctors to take us seriously when we have problems.

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Mary G

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2023, 11:38:38 AM »

LA55, I'm very sorry to hear about your diagnosis but extremely glad it was caught in time and you are now cured.

Your experience demonstrates just how important transvaginal scans are regardless of HRT use.   A uterine scan also detects problems with ovaries bladder and even rectal tumours so it really should be part of every woman's annual screening programme.

Wishing you well.

Jules

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2023, 11:42:19 AM »

What a good job you persevered but it must have been very stressful. I'm glad you're getting treated. I didn't have any discharge till I started using vaginal estrogen. Menopause had stopped it. I'm assuming estrogenising the vagina causes moisture again and that's normal.  As you say it's hard to know.

Perinowpost

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2023, 11:49:48 AM »

LA55 that must have been quite a shock for you. Hope you are ok?  Thanks for sharing this, I wouldn’t have known that about watery discharge.

Great news it’s all contained. Take it easy x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2023, 01:07:11 PM »

Have a group  :hug: and tnx for the warnings.  I agree, women in the UK should be invited annually for pelvic scans regardless of symptoms. 

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2023, 04:23:39 PM »

Hi LA55

So sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis but good that it has been completely removed. Fortunately endometrial cancer if caught in early stages is one of the few that can be treated for many women very successfully if contained within the womb. That must have been quite a shock, and really good of you to take the trouble to let us know about this.

A womb lining of 24 mm is very unusual at your age and may I ask if you have been taking HRT up until the scN?

I can only echo what others have said that routine scans of the pelvis on NHS as part of our screening programme would be beneficial.

Wishing you all the best and for a full recovery.

Hurdity x

LA55

• First Flush
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2023, 04:37:51 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

No, I was not on HRT. I never have taken it. And I had no risk factors for endometrial cancer. So it was a shock. 
Pages: [1] 2