Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Am I overdosed on Estrogen?  (Read 1396 times)

MPisnotfun

• First Flush
Am I overdosed on Estrogen?
« on: July 04, 2023, 01:40:30 AM »

Hi all, hope you are well. I am new to this forum.

So I started on 50 mcg of Estradot in May for post menopause and I think I felt a little better.. no more hot flushes and stiff joints but my tiredness still exists and my mood was still quite low. I am also on 100mg Prometrium. I tried to go onto a higher dose of 100 mcg and did not think much about it. But I started to become worse... I was becoming shaky and jittery and my anxiety got worse because of the involuntary jittery behaviour my body developed. Since then I got scared and came off estrogen patches completely. It's been 5 days now. I think my body feels less jittery now but my mood is still low. I basically have no motivation to do much.

Have any of you ever come off estrogen patches completely to reset the body? I am a bit scared to go back onto Estradot again but I really want to feel like a human, my own self again. :(

I know the minimum dose is about 50mcg.. does it really take a while to see improvements? Maybe I am just too impatient. I am so tired of feeling tired.

Thanks for any kind input. x

discogirl

Re: Am I overdosed on Estrogen?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 06:29:16 AM »

Hi MPisnotfun

Welcome to the forum  :)

As you are post menopause I doubt very much you would be overdosing on estrogen, 50mg is a normal dose. It is early days as you only started on the estradot in May, and although I don't use patches, I'm on oestrogel, I know estradot are really good patches.

I'm sorry but I don't know anything about prometrium, but for me any kind of anxiety etc is usually for me, caused by my progesterone, which I'm still trying to get right.

I hope you get sorted out and take care xxx

Penguin

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 06:31:49 AM »

I haven't come off estrogen, but do know that when my estrogen is too high one of the tell tale symptoms is that I feel very jittery, body and mind. So I think you were probably right that your estrogen had gone too high. I hope your reset helps.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 07:27:45 AM »

Yes, feeling jittery is a symptom of too much oestrogen. IIWY I'd go back to the 50. You should give any new regime 3 months to get the full effects before changing. It's so important to build up slowly and the longer you've been without oestrogen the more important it is. Post meno women are often started on 25 not 50. Increasing from 50 to 100 is a huge jump, really 25 should be the max or even less to give your body time to adjust. The symptoms of too high and too low oestrogen can be very similar and if you haven't increased slowly you may not know which it is. Tiredness can have multiple causes so you might get eg vit d, thyroid etc checked. The other thing you might try is testosterone (absent libido is a good indicator of low T) but you need to be on optimal oestrogen before you start.

AngelaH

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 07:42:07 AM »

Hello MPisnotfun,

Sorry you are going through all this hell, unfortunately I have very similar experience, but started from smaller dose on evorel patches, I had a couple of great days, then it stopped helping me, I increased dose to 50 and then 75, it made me worse. I came off patches completely and started using gel instead, now I have the same “picture”, started from 25 made me feel great, then I started filling worse, so increased to 50 and it made me feel completely ill, now I am back to 25 again, still filling worse, than without using it. I was on the French version of gel at first and then changed fo UK version, but no difference and still filling bad. GP says I am too sensitive to oestrogen, have no idea what  it really means.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 08:59:31 AM »

Morning.  Whilst 1 cannot 'overdose' on hormones, it may be that going up in amounts may cause a reaction as the body tries to adjust.  Why GPs don't suggest adding an extra amount every 3rd night for example to C how 1 feels?  It can be Trial and Error, the body rarely gets where it is suddenly.  Go back to the initial dose for 5 nights then mayB add an extra dose the next night and miss a couple - it's individual as to how bodies react.

Let us know how y ou get on .  Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Many have difficulties with the progesterone part of a regime.  Browse round.  Make notes.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 08:59:44 AM »

Oh and  :welcomemm:

JoannFran

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 12:58:27 PM »

Hi there

I seem to be very sensitive to all hormones too.  I started on half of a 25mg patch (yes half) and worked my way up.  So i stayed on half for 2 weeks then increased to three quarters of a patch for 2 weeks and then the full 25mg, stayed on this for a couple of months and then started increasing again.  Did the same for all increases and have worked my way up to 100mg which as taken me a year.  This seems to be the best way for me to do it.  If it stops helping at a certain level then I assume it's because it's not enough?

Hope that helps x

Ayesha

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2023, 01:44:38 PM »

I think probably a wait and see if your body gets used to the new invader, the body has its way of letting you know when a foreign invader is on the loose.

I had the weirdest sensations when I first started to take statins, my whole body was buzzing and jittering about all over the place, so bad I expected a heart attack any moment. Dark chocolate made it worse for some reason, I ate two of those posh French biscuits at my son's before going out to lunch. To get there I had to walk a bit and climb a steep hill which made the buzzing and jitters worse. I've come to the conclusion that my heart must be strong, I now take the tablet every other day and the symptoms have eased massively, except if I have a dark chocolate biscuit which will start me off again but mildly this time.

I know estrogen is not statins but just to reassure you this is what some medications can do when you are intolerant to them but with time the body most times will adjust.

MPisnotfun

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2023, 02:48:29 AM »

Hi everybody, thank you so much for the welcome and kind input.  :)

I will give it a bit more days and let my jittery body settle down before I started a lower dose of Estradot patch. Meanwhile I continue with Prometrium 100mg which is the progesterone to protect my uterus. Good thing is my recent pelvic ultrasound result has come back fine, just 3 little fibroids. The lining is thin which is good. I am not sure if progesterone messes with my body in a bad way at the moment. I feel that after stopping the Estradot, my jittery is becoming more manageable, which is a good thing.

discogirl

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2023, 06:08:08 AM »

Keep us updated and let us know how you get on xx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2023, 08:38:53 AM »

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.  Let us know how you get on.

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2023, 04:30:59 PM »

I think probably a wait and see if your body gets used to the new invader, the body has its way of letting you know when a foreign invader is on the loose.

Foreign invader????   :o :o I've never heard HRT referred to as that!!

She is taking bioidentical HRT, (albeit exogenously), so nothing foreign about that!

MP isnotfun - perhas you can also tell us how old you are and how long you have been post-menopausal ie how long since last natural period. This will tell us how long you have been without added oestrogen, and help decide whether you should gradually work up to a higher dose (rule of thumb - if younger - higher dose is beneficial health-wise).

Continuous progesterone can also cause problems with some women, including persistent tiredness, and especially when taken orally which I presume you are doing. Guessing you are outside UK as we don't have prometrium here? You may want to consider taking it cyclically if you are younger - which would give you a withdrawal bleed every month but you should not be tired all the time.

Hurdity x