Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Private menopause clinic?  (Read 568 times)

Jal

Private menopause clinic?
« on: June 29, 2023, 06:55:18 PM »

Hi. I posted in new members a few months ago as I was finding that my VA was getting worse despite using Ovestin as prescribed by my gynaecologist. Since then I have been using the Ovestin every other day, using Sylk daily and applying Hydromol if I'm going to be wearing tights or leggings. I don't feel that any of these measures are really helping and I've still been experiencing some irritation for the last few weeks when I've been wearing skirts. The other issues are pain sometimes in my pelvic and lower abdomen area and down my inner thighs. I tried Amitryptiline but found the side effects unpleasant. I saw the gynaecologist again today and he has reiterated that there is no evidence of lack of oestrogen now.  He is going to refer me for a bladder scan and possibly a cytoscopy as he thinks the problem may lie in this area. I'm unconvinced but unsure what to do. The only menopause clinic in my area is privately run. Has anybody attended a private clinic and was it helpful?

Flossieteacake

Re: Private menopause clinic?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 07:08:49 PM »

Sorry to hear your VA is so bad. Rather then use the Ovestin every other day, you may find it more helpful to use it daily. I have to use it daily or I get bad VA symptoms.

What are you using to wash your whole body with? If you are using Hydromol to wash, then that is great. You can apply some to the vulva before you shower, wash it off in the shower, and then reapply some to act as a barrier. If you use the Hydromol to wash your whole body with then this will reduce the risk of anything irritating you too.

How long have you been using Ovestin for? For some people it takes longer to see signs of improvement. With tights I think some members buy special tights such as cotton ones as tights or leggings will be irritating to the VA.

I do not know how the gynae can tell there is no evidence of lack of oestrogen as it can be internal with no physical symptoms. It is a good idea to have the recommended scans just to ensure all is well in the bladder. I think there is a thread on here about cytoscopy's. Perhaps you can enter that into the search bar and have a browse of any threads.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 08:40:39 PM »

Would it help to avoid leggings and wear stockings instead of tights?

joziel

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 08:49:08 PM »

I'm with the Newson private clinic, who are online - so it doesn't matter where you live, they can post you the meds you need.

I've been with a couple of doctors there - some are better than others. At the moment I'm with Dr Olivia Jones, who's lovely and v good.

Jal

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 08:29:03 AM »

Sorry to hear your VA is so bad. Rather then use the Ovestin every other day, you may find it more helpful to use it daily. I have to use it daily or I get bad VA symptoms.

What are you using to wash your whole body with? If you are using Hydromol to wash, then that is great. You can apply some to the vulva before you shower, wash it off in the shower, and then reapply some to act as a barrier. If you use the Hydromol to wash your whole body with then this will reduce the risk of anything irritating you too.

How long have you been using Ovestin for? For some people it takes longer to see signs of improvement. With tights I think some members buy special tights such as cotton ones as tights or leggings will be irritating to the VA.

I do not know how the gynae can tell there is no evidence of lack of oestrogen as it can be internal with no physical symptoms. It is a good idea to have the recommended scans just to ensure all is well in the bladder. I think there is a thread on here about cytoscopy's. Perhaps you can enter that into the search bar and have a browse of any threads.
Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I've been using ovestin for a couple of years. My problem with using more frequently is that my breasts hurt a little on my current dose and any increase would probably make this issue worse.
I've recently started to use hydromol to wash the majority of my body as my skin has become very dry and itchy.
I will go for the scan and the cytoscopy if recommended but as I said I'm not hopeful about them.

Jal

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2023, 08:35:06 AM »

Would it help to avoid leggings and wear stockings instead of tights?
Thank you for your reply. I mainly wear thick cotton tights or leggings for warmth and I've yet to find any stockings which are thick enough. I like walking and yoga and it's these activities in particular which I struggle to find comfortable clothing for.

Jal

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2023, 08:38:56 AM »

I'm with the Newson private clinic, who are online - so it doesn't matter where you live, they can post you the meds you need.

I've been with a couple of doctors there - some are better than others. At the moment I'm with Dr Olivia Jones, who's lovely and v good.
Thank you for your reply. It's good to hear of a positive experience of a private clinic and it's prompted me to do some more research.