Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: UTI - from using ovestin?  (Read 3307 times)

Flossieteacake

Re: UTI - from using ovestin?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2023, 08:10:54 AM »

That sounds positive. When you say you are going to do the two week loading dose, I would continue to use it daily after that because twice a week may not be enough for you. I have to use Ovestin daily or my symptoms flare.

Dierdre

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2023, 09:42:27 AM »

The wording on my Ovestin prescription from the gynae is "Apply to posterior introitus every night". I had to google what that meant, introitus is any kind of entrance and referring to to vaginal entrance leading to the vaginal canal. So I use externally around the vulva and just inside the entrance around the urethra and bladder wall. I dont use the applicator just a clean finger and rub in well. Leaving a blob causes irritation but if i rub it all in then apply a thin layer of Bepanten, or you could use your own moisturiser, it doesn't sting so much or at all.

Jules

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2023, 08:10:20 AM »

I understand your anxiety. I didn't have any UTIs till I was 56 then one went undiagnosed by my useless GP and I ended up in hospital in New York. Ever since then they let me have an emergency pack of antibiotics as I subsequently had bad ones that were intolerable waiting for lab culture's and im paranoid. Mine are specifically linked to sex. I was referred to a gyny urologist.   I'm now using Ovestin externally and I do feel some sensation from it so not sure. I do worry about how long I will be using all this stuff and whether I can stop once I'm no longer sexually active.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2023, 08:14:03 AM »

Jules - that answers my query in the other thread [don't ask which one though  ;)]

VA treatment is for Life.  To keep the area supple, stop the vulva and vaginal walls drying out which = itchiness and soreness.  Once I began using 'ovestin' regularly sex became easier, along with a lot of KY Jelly ;-).  Some ladies require nightly applications of VA treatment; others can manage with a few nights each week, others require treatment as well as a moisturiser.  When I first began using 'ovestin' if I left more than 4 nights between applications, the need2P would return after use.  Then I take Nurofen, 2 capsules 3 times a day to ease symptoms.

It's Trial and Error.  If the vulval area is dry then initially treatment may sting !  Press on ;-)

Ayesha

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2023, 09:25:01 AM »

VA never ceases to surprise me two years on from starting my daily routine of Vagifem, Ovestin and lots of moisturiser.
I use Ovestin topically twice a day mixed with the moisturiser. I was lazy the other night and didn't bother, I thought I would give myself a break from the boring regime and just go to bed. Big mistake, the next day the pressure of needing to pee all day long returned but thankfully not the burning.

Yep, this routine is definitely for life and every day for me it seems.

Dierdre

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2023, 09:45:07 AM »

I can't miss a day either, if I don't use Vagifem I still use Ovestin daily. The body doesn't seem to store it or build up inside. I don't know how it works for those that only use twice a week.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2023, 09:47:09 AM »

I can't miss a day either, if I don't use Vagifem I still use Ovestin daily. The body doesn't seem to store it or build up inside. I don't know how it works for those that only use twice a week.

I am also confused as to how some women only use VA treatment twice a week. I hope they do not have symptoms and just ignore them because they were told by their GP to only use it twice a week.

Dierdre

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2023, 09:56:34 AM »

That was me for the first year, struggling on 3 per week until I was finally referred to the vulva clinic. The doctor thought 3 was a lot!!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2023, 10:02:04 AM »

That was me for the first year, struggling on 3 per week until I was finally referred to the vulva clinic. The doctor thought 3 was a lot!!

It is so frustrating when they try to make women reduce their treatment.

Jules

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2023, 11:12:22 AM »

I use vagifem twice a week which has been okay. I'm just preloading with Ovestin. I'm usually okay except after sex, I have a mild sensation of needing the loo for a day or so but I can tell the difference between that and a UTI. I wonder how our mothers and grandmothers coped!

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2023, 11:27:52 AM »

I think that the older generations probably dribbled urine ............. because they believed that they 'had to put up with it'.  I worry about ethnic groups who don't know about VA or who are unable to access treatments. 

Jules

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2023, 03:49:48 PM »

I think that the older generations probably dribbled urine ............. because they believed that they 'had to put up with it'.  I worry about ethnic groups who don't know about VA or who are unable to access treatments.

And they probably stopped their sex life earlier. My grandma was an old woman at my age. You need an understanding GP. Last year when I requested a repeat of my profalactic, the GP responding started faltering. The receptionist phoned. I had to explain my arrangement so they knew I wasn't using them a lot but she then asked if I was sleeping with the same man. I had to make a complaint.  Would they not have given me my prescription had I said it wasnt? We have to jump through such hoops

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2023, 04:04:17 PM »

I don't think that 1 is allowed to ask that question!  Would she have asked a man  :-\.  that's awful.

Yes at 66 my Grandma looked old.  Stooped over.  Still jolly and hard working though.

Jules

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2023, 11:27:05 PM »

I don't think that 1 is allowed to ask that question!  Would she have asked a man  :-\.  that's awful.

Yes at 66 my Grandma looked old.  Stooped over.  Still jolly and hard working though.
No, she wouldn't have asked a man. I did receive an apology. Maybe my sex life was more interesting than the receptionists 😉

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2023, 08:55:25 AM »

That crossed my mind too  ::). Morning.  I can understand a GP or Consultant asking that question in case of cross infection however.

How are the symptoms this morning? 
Pages: 1 [2] 3