Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: How much collagen?  (Read 821 times)

Leanne1111

• First Flush
How much collagen?
« on: July 03, 2023, 10:09:51 AM »

Hiya, really confused on the amount of collegen to take. I notice that most collegen products come in Mg but when I search for how much to take its on G. The collegen I'm taking at the moment is 400mg and says on the pack not to take more! But the Internet says to take between  2.5 g -80g.
I'm so confused......the maths doesn't work out for me. Does anyone have the answer In mg?  Thank you xx

joziel

Re: How much collagen?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 12:02:08 PM »

I don't think you can really take too much. I have 3 heaped tablespoons of collagen powder a day along with 2 protein shakes.

Haydo

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 01:08:39 PM »

I take 13g (13,000mg) , as suggested on the pack of the collagen I use, which is 2 tablespoons.

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 02:25:38 PM »

Hiya, really confused on the amount of collegen to take. I notice that most collegen products come in Mg but when I search for how much to take its on G. The collegen I'm taking at the moment is 400mg and says on the pack not to take more! But the Internet says to take between  2.5 g -80g.
I'm so confused......the maths doesn't work out for me. Does anyone have the answer In mg?  Thank you xx
What are you taking it to help?
Collagen is a protein, the most abundant protein in a human. It's basically gelatin, jelly and when you eat it it will be broken down into the component amino acids then your body rebuilds whatever collagen structure is required in the body from those amino acids.

In theory if you have a typical western diet, it should have plenty of collagen in it already, that is where the 2.5-80g comes from.
From memory, we should eat 75g of protein a day? So if most of the protein you consume is collagen, 80g is just fine, if most of what you eat is a different protein, then I guess 2.5g is the minimum the body needs?
I'm not sure what your collagen supplements are claiming to do, maybe give younger skin or something like that?
Skin is indeed heavily dependant on collagen strength, so it's worth a try, but a pinch of salt with it perhaps?

Leanne1111

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 06:44:32 PM »

Has anyone found a good price for it?

Cara999

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 06:26:01 PM »

I use 2 heaped spoonfuls a day in a smoothie xx

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 06:48:12 PM »

Hello ladies.

I don't use this product myself but a friend who attends lots of exercise classes now takes collagen. She injured her knee a while ago and an operation isn't likely to happen and may not work anyway.

These comments are very interesting and I will ask her how she is doing when I see her.

Take care ladies.

K.

Jules

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 09:08:19 PM »

What type of collagen do you use? Have you noticed any improvements?