Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Supply issues: Utrogestan over counter without prescription in EU? Spain Italy  (Read 2626 times)

Callisto

Hi There,

I’ve not been able to get Utrogestan. Ironically not once since available on NHS in Lothian. My prescription has sat in local chemist since beginning of May and I’m getting increasingly anxious as I’ve been in multiple times and still no stock. Had to borrow (?!)  from a friend and noted all local chemists and online pharmacies are out of supplies. I know this sounds extreme but considering booking a flight to a country that may still have Utro if it available without prescription. Or can try requesting doc to write a new one for me to take to buy abroad.
Anyone have any tips on the European current situation, supply, prices, how many packs you can request? Any up to date info gratefully received.

Ridiculous but needsmust!

🐾C
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 05:13:56 PM by Callisto »

Mary G

I can tell you there are no supply issues with Utrogestan (or any other medication) in Spain.

If you book a holiday here and bring your prescription with you, I doubt you would have any problems obtaining a 6/12 month supply.

I have bought it (not for myself!) without any problems. I have also bought Progeffik which is similar.

Katejo

Hi There,

I’ve not been able to get Utrogestan. Ironically not once since available on NHS in Lothian. My prescription has sat in local chemist since beginning of May and I’m getting increasingly anxious as I’ve been in multiple times and still no stock. Had to borrow (?!)  from a friend and noted all local chemists and online pharmacies are out of supplies. I know this sounds extreme but considering booking a flight to a country that may still have Utro if it available without prescription. Or can try requesting doc to write a new one for me to take to buy abroad.
Anyone have any tips on the European current situation, supply, prices, how many packs you can request? Any up to date info gratefully received.

🐾C
I once asked in an Italian pharmacy about a different HRT but they said it wasn't available without a prescription

Callisto

I can tell you there are no supply issues with Utrogestan (or any other medication) in Spain.

If you book a holiday here and bring your prescription with you, I doubt you would have any problems obtaining a 6/12 month supply.

I have bought it (not for myself!) without any problems. I have also bought Progeffik which is similar.

*Thank you very much Mary,

Is a prescription necessary or can one purchase over the counter (perhaps showing packaging to prove you have been prescribed HRT)? Getting appointment to achieve a prescription is fraught with difficulties too. Took me 4 weeks to get appt with NHS GP and four months(!) for private gyn doc whom I am still waiting to speak to.
Is there regional variation as far as you know in attitude / supply of HRT meds? Sorry for asking such specific yet vague questions. (Santiago de Compostela seems cheapest to reach.)

Thanks again for your response.
🐾C

Callisto

Hi There,

🐾C
I once asked in an Italian pharmacy about a different HRT but they said it wasn't available without a prescription

Thank you Katejo,

For taking time to answer. I am going to Italy ( holiday arranged in January) next week. I wonder whether a British GP prescription would be acceptable. Seems unlikely but I am on the point of trying anything having phoned countless chemists here and none have any stock of Utro. 

🐾C

Mary G

Callisto, Ireland sounds like the best option so far, either the north or the south - perhaps the north is getting its supplies from the south! 

Re Spain, I manage to buy HRT without a prescription all the time but some pharmacies are a bit sniffy and ask for a prescription so I wouldn't want to say 100% you would get Utrogestan without problems.   I was turned away from one place recently but I managed to get six months supply of HRT at another pharmacy where I usually go.  So it can be hit and miss and it would be safer to have a prescription if you are going to fly over here specially.  There is no regional variation that I am aware of.

Bungo

So a UK prescription would be accepted in Spain?

Bungo

Callisto, Ireland sounds like the best option so far, either the north or the south - perhaps the north is getting its supplies from the south! 

Re Spain, I manage to buy HRT without a prescription all the time but some pharmacies are a bit sniffy and ask for a prescription so I wouldn't want to say 100% you would get Utrogestan without problems.   I was turned away from one place recently but I managed to get six months supply of HRT at another pharmacy where I usually go.  So it can be hit and miss and it would be safer to have a prescription if you are going to fly over here specially.  There is no regional variation that I am aware of.
Shortages in southern and northern Ireland also unfortunately. Does anyone know the utrogestan equivalent name in Spain? My niece is going there next week so am going to give her my prescription. She doesn't speak Spanish so want to minimize any confusion ,in case she comes home with the wrong item!

Mary G

Utrogestan is Utrogestan in Spain too and it comes in either a 100mg or 200mg dose.

It costs about €5-6.00.

If you are running desperately short, try to order 12 boxes - it's usually next day delivery.

Bungo

Utrogestan is Utrogestan in Spain too and it comes in either a 100mg or 200mg dose.

It costs about €5-6.00.

If you are running desperately short, try to order 12 boxes - it's usually next day delivery.
Thanks Mary. you mean the pharmacy will order 12 boxes and my niece could collect the following day? Wow

Hurdity

May be different due to Brexit - in the past I managed to get HRT patches in France using my UK prescription -  which they insisted on seeing. Might not be possible now. Perhaps someone can advise who has tried in Europe since brexit. I would always take your prescription.

Hurdity x

Mary G

It costs about €5-6.00.

Thanks Mary. you mean the pharmacy will order 12 boxes and my niece could collect the following day? Wow

You should be able to get 12 boxes and it's usually next day delivery - they have a fully automated system here with vans constantly driving around replenishing pharmacy stocks/delivering orders.  They will give the prescription back to you so your niece can then go to a different pharmacy and get more if necessary.

I've never tried this myself (I haven't been in possession of a UK prescription for many years) because I do my own thing and never buy HRT with prescriptions here but if it's a private\non Spanish state prescription, they hand it back to you.

You have nothing to lose by trying!

Bungo

Thanks so much Mary, the security of having a years supply would be immeasurable