Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT advice  (Read 831 times)

Cookie50

HRT advice
« on: June 24, 2023, 04:21:15 PM »

Hello just after a bit of advice about HRT. I have recently stopped taking it after 3 years.  I was on elleste duet 1mg for unbearable hot flushes .After speaking to the doctor was told I had been on it "quite a long time" I stopped taking it 8 weeks ago and hot flushes returned with vengeance  😢 I am really struggling with them affecting my sleep mostly as probably get 1 flush an hour.  I'm now thinking about going back onto HRT but was going to ask to have an appointment with a doctor a bit more clued up on HRT as on reading up a bit is 3 years actually a long time? I also keep reading about body identical HRT but I'm not sure if all combined HRT in UK is body identical or is it just the oestrogen part that is? Thank-you for reading  😀 (I'm 50 btw)

joziel

Re: HRT advice
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 05:04:17 PM »

You should not be taken off HRT just because some amount of time has elapsed. You will only benefit from its advantages in terms of preventing osteoporosis, heart disease, dementia and so on for as long as you keep taking it. If you want to continue to be protected, you should keep taking it.

Transdermal estrogen and body identical progesterone are the safest forms of HRT. That means patches or gels for estrogen and utrogestan or Cyclogest for progesterone. Oral HRT is not first-line choice because it increases the risk of blood clots as it has to be processed by the liver.

Definitely find a doctor more knowledgeable about HRT.

Cookie50

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 05:16:25 PM »

Thank-you so much for your reply....Its so difficult to get the correct information from some of the GPs  in my experience.  I have had symptoms of menopause since I was 43 so I maybe thought that I could be through it now but my raging flushes are making it apparent I am not!  Its a long process ... :( 😞 I am starting to realise this!

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 05:57:26 PM »

Hi Cookie. It's so upsetting when doctors do this. The NICE guidelines are that women should be allowed to stay on HRT for life. I've been on it for 16 years now and the only time I was forced to stop, nine years ago, due to another doctor who wasn't clued up it was dreadful. Three years isn't even the five years which used to be the norm. Don't give up. Find out as much info as you can and go back to your doctor, or a different one within your practice if you feel you might be listened to more. We're behind you all the way

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2023, 06:06:45 PM »

Hello Cookie and welcome to the forum. I am so sorry your Dr advised you to come off HRT. HRT can be taken for life and this is what I intend to do.

Taz and Joziel have given you great advice. You will find lots of support on here. :)

Cookie50

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2023, 06:33:43 PM »

Thank you so much ladies! What a great forum this is  :)  😀 none of my friends suffer same symptoms of hot flushes and none of them are on HRT si sometimes i think am i being dramatic for being unable to cope with them!.. :( 😞

Flossieteacake

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2023, 06:43:25 PM »

Thank you so much ladies! What a great forum this is  :)  😀 none of my friends suffer same symptoms of hot flushes and none of them are on HRT si sometimes i think am i being dramatic for being unable to cope with them!.. :( 😞

It is hard not having anybody who can relate but you have us now so please post as much as you wish to. :)

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 12:09:24 PM »

Hi Cookie,

Doctors can do and say stupid things as easily as the rest of us unfortunately.

We don't want to keep knocking out kids forever, but we could do with strong bones long term, dementia protection long term, cardiac protection long term, the ovaries are not a one trick pony.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to feel well, but we are channelled into thinking women have to be ill a lot more than men are and that it's our lot to endure it, in the same way we always endured painful periods and excruciating childbirth, we ought to endure everything menopause throws at us because it's as natural as birth and death?

The random dumping of large amounts of hormones into the bloodstream that characterises peri-menopause will come to an end, but the body will still not have enough of it's own hormones after menopause. My 84yo aunt still gets hot flashes. HRT's not just about getting you over the first few years by which time you'll have accepted this is all you can expect from life!

Just remember, women are vitally important to humanity and that includes older women, we are the moms to the entire human race. We wiped their bums, now we say, "Listen to us, we need HRT for the rest of our lives or you'll be wiping our bums sooner than we'd all like."

Wrensong

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 06:18:30 PM »

Hi Cookie50  :welcomemm:  I agree with the other ladies, so do try to see a more clued up GP if you want to continue with HRT.  I hope you make progress that way & will soon feel much better again.

Great post meno-mel.
Wx