Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Is there a stomach bug going around now, June 23  (Read 2164 times)

KaraShannon

Is there a stomach bug going around now, June 23
« on: June 24, 2023, 02:41:07 PM »

I know it's a bit of a daft question, but in a way would help if there were.

Thursday before last I noticed I'd got a cold sore on my face and that usually means something is going on, then on the monday I got diarrhoea (sorry tmi).  I thought it must be a bug because menopausal stomach stuff is more inconvenient and mild, not like this, I felt mildly unwell. 

So I let it take it's course, been ok most of the last week, though I noticed when I visited my mother the smell of the sausages she was cooking made me feel sick.  But otherwise fine. 

Then today I'm supporting a stressy friend who's having a travelling meltdown and in the middle of it felt sick and then in half an hour, diarrhoea again. 

A lot of stress at the moment but it wouldn't do this.

Reason I'm worried is I had a tooth infection, got it better with mouthwash, etc and it was gone, but I neglected it yesterday.  But with the coldsore last week, just wondering if it's more likely a virus.  I feel ok otherwise, not weak or anything and no temperature.

I just panic about health stuff and it 'returning' today after a week has thrown me.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is there a stomach bug going around now, June 23
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 04:17:48 PM »

Cold sores - Herpes Zosta - can be treated with over the counter medication - same virus as chickenpox/shingles ?

Spreads like fury so keeping all items that are in contact with your face is important so that any1 else in the family don't catch i.t

If you have a virus it may well manifest itself in the runs.  Any pains?  Any bleeding?  The smell of sausages frying makes me nauseous at the best of times  >:(

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 04:19:38 PM »

What's the difference between shingles and herpes zoster?   [NHS website]

The condition we call shingles is caused by herpes zoster. Herpes zoster is the same viral infection that causes chicken pox, and the herpes zoster virus can live in the body for years after the case of chicken pox is gone, and re-emerge as the painful blisters of shingles.

KaraShannon

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 04:58:52 PM »

Cold sores - Herpes Zosta - can be treated with over the counter medication - same virus as chickenpox/shingles ?

Spreads like fury so keeping all items that are in contact with your face is important so that any1 else in the family don't catch i.t

If you have a virus it may well manifest itself in the runs.  Any pains?  Any bleeding?  The smell of sausages frying makes me nauseous at the best of times  >:(

Thanks CLKD

yes who knows if it were a cold sore or shingles.  Once when I had it on my nose as a child, we were at a campsite, the holiday doctor said it was shingles.  My parents took me because it was all up one side of the nose, lol, they thought a bit big for a cold sore.  They were surprised he said shingles though.

So who knows, I'm going through a stressful time atm. 

No pain, no bleeding, no temperature.  So it's just my anxiety I'm having to manage.  It's just because it's been a week, wouldn't be bothered if just 24 hours.  But I haven't been off all week, just here and there.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2023, 06:25:52 PM »

Sounds miserable for you KaraShannon. Maybe it was a tummy bug to start with and it's taking a while for the diarrhoea to settle?

I'm just getting over one though it might be Campylobacter from how I felt last time I had it. Started with upset stomach Thursday morning and painful cramping right in the middle of my tummy. Headache  Shivery  Felt better though by Thursday evening but yesterday morning diarrhoea was much worse and obviously infection based. I had a slight fever too. Stomach pains were nasty and then finished up with vomiting during the evening. Oh yes and the bloatedness was very impressive! Feeling better today but only drinking water. There is a bug going round our schools here I've discovered.

Taz x  :hug:

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2023, 07:21:48 PM »

Nasty.  Time for some rehydration powders Taz?  Stomach cramps etc. certainly point to a 'bug'

KaraShannon

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2023, 08:31:30 PM »

Sounds miserable for you KaraShannon. Maybe it was a tummy bug to start with and it's taking a while for the diarrhoea to settle?

I'm just getting over one though it might be Campylobacter from how I felt last time I had it. Started with upset stomach Thursday morning and painful cramping right in the middle of my tummy. Headache  Shivery  Felt better though by Thursday evening but yesterday morning diarrhoea was much worse and obviously infection based. I had a slight fever too. Stomach pains were nasty and then finished up with vomiting during the evening. Oh yes and the bloatedness was very impressive! Feeling better today but only drinking water. There is a bug going round our schools here I've discovered.

Taz x  :hug:

Hugs Taz, glad you're feeling better today.  It's a start isn't it, going in the right direction.  I've had a lot of tummy troubles since the start of the pandemic, and I sometimes wonder if each time I've been exposed to covid, but often the tests are negative.  I was someone who never had these symptoms before.  I know when I was on oestrogen only, it all settled, but can't stay like that.  But then again the progesterone doesn't obviously do it either and I feel a lot better on progesterone.

I think this might be a bug though, there's a bit of a gripey pain going on atm.  I can handle it if I 'know' it's a bug, it's just that I have a  lot of health anxiety and if something sticks around longer than I expect then I worry.

Hope you're feeling a lot better tomorrow and get an appetite back.  Thanks for responding, maybe there is something going around.  Athough these days it seems constant. 

Take care Taz.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 06:42:04 AM »

Shingles and a cold sore are totally different in appearance.  Shingles is a rash over a particular nerve root: a cold sore is ugly.  How do you both feel this morning?

KaraShannon

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 09:38:54 AM »

CLKD, I'm too young to remember exactly what that shingles looked like.  I know my parents thought it might be something more than a cold sore but because it was on side of my nose, where I got them, they thought it must be.  They were surprised when he said shingles but he apparently said it can occupy a small area like that.

I feel a bit better this morning, usually do with rest, I bounce back, but the next few days might knock it out of me again.  I was hungry at midnight last night, after not eating much all day, so I made some toast and the minute I started eating it I felt mildly sick.  Wondering if lowering the estradiol might be messing with me too a bit (as in an adjustment, got to give it a bit of time and I only lowered it a couple of days ago)

Hope Taz is feeling better.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 10:09:44 AM »

Shingles follows a nerve root so it's more likely that the Medic wasn't aware of what a cold sore actually looks like  ::)

I think that when the gut is empty, certainly with me; the moment I eat I feel nauseous.  DH tells me it's the gut saying 'thanks'  ::)  :-\.  Which is why I eat little and often.

It may well be hormones making you feel 'off' colour.  Certainly I would get 'the runs' 10 mins B4 a bleed even if a period wasn't due.   :o. Graze ;-)