Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: What are your experiences on Tibolone?  (Read 1048 times)

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
What are your experiences on Tibolone?
« on: June 21, 2023, 03:49:31 PM »

Hi, has anyone tried tibolone?

I've done a search and I can't find a lot about it at all, is it prescribed in the UK?.

It seems like the other hrt medicines are mixed with each other and tibolone stands on it's own, but other than that, what are the benefits and disadvantages of tibolone compared to conventional HRT?

I hate progesterone but my GP says it is necessary so I'm thinking of giving up on HRT. Always thinking that it's a very rough kind of medicine, the side effects of HRT are worse than menopause so far for me, but I'd like the other protections it offers like heart health and bones.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: What are your experiences on Tibolone?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 05:09:32 PM »

Lots of threads on Tibolone on the Forum.  I always read it as 'Toblerone'  ::)

If a lady has a womb she requires some form of progesterone to stop the lining building up.  Some have a long oestrogen replacement with less than recommended progesterone, over seen by a Consultant for regular scans. 

Which symptoms would you like to ease first?  MayB keeping a mood/food/symptom diary would be useful?

Whilst HRT isn't a cure it can ease some of the symptoms. 

Joesmum

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 11:53:34 AM »

I found Tibolone ineffective.
It didn’t raise my Estrogen levels sufficiently to alleviate the lethargy and low mood at all. I can recall sitting at my computer trying to work and realising it was impossible to focus so I went upstairs and found an old EVOREL patch 50mcgs and put it on. Within half an hour I was like a new woman. It was as though someone had plugged me into the mains and brought me back to life.
I was put on Tibolone by an endocrinologist. Interestingly when I told my Gynaecologist he said that he hasn’t prescribed Tibolone for years as it yields poor results. He advises Gel for all his patients.
Hope that helps.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 12:09:56 PM »

It has a different type of progesterone which seems to agree with some people who have intolerance issues so it may be worth trying. It also contains a testosterone derivative which some people find helpful. The downside is that it's medium dose oestrogen which you can't either increase or decrease.
There's also a long thread on compounded hormones you may find useful if you're unable to find a conventional product you can tolerate though if you go down that route I'd strongly advise regular scans to make sure your lining doesn't build up.