Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hair Dye  (Read 2091 times)

AH10

Hair Dye
« on: June 24, 2023, 12:53:55 PM »

Hi, this might sound like a strange one but here goes…..is anyone aware of an issue with getting hair dyed when either post menopausal or on HRT?

I get my hair coloured every 6 weeks and since last year have experienced some weird symptoms immediately after it.

It started with itching all over, once I woke in the morning to find front of my legs covered in tiny red spots, more recently I’ve felt generally unwell the next morning.

The hairdresser says not related to hair dye, as my patch tests are ok, but I think it’s too much of a coincidence.  I’ve either got an intolerance to it or something is triggering it which has led me to all things menopause, after all everything else seems to be menopause related!  I use Evrol 25 patch and 100mg Ustrogen nightly. Would appreciate any thoughts/advice, many thanks.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hair Dye
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 12:58:19 PM »

It may be that the product recipe has been altered without the salon being made aware.   

In the 1990s I had my hairdresser colour my hair at home, about 3 times in 18 months-ish: each time I had instant itching on the scalp; fortunately it didn't get worse through the procedure.  Now I've gone comfortably grey  ;)

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out which includes the scalp.  If U are getting a reaction, then stop.  It may be connected to any HRT regime worth asking around. Then let us know  ;)

AH10

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 01:02:18 PM »

Thanks CLKD, will update if I find anything useful  :)

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 01:20:19 PM »

Asked for another patch test, if you only get it after the colour it must be that.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 09:30:03 PM by Dierdre »

DottyD68

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2023, 02:06:57 PM »

I have developed several sensitivities and allergies since becoming peri menopausal that I never had before so it could be that you've developed a sensitivity to you hair dye. I started to notice my scalp having a slight burning sensation when hair dye was applied and put it down to that. However my hairdresser asked if I had had Covid, which I had, after which many of my menopause symptoms reappeared or got worse for several months. My hairdresser said several clients had developed reactions to hair dye after Covid. It could be a combination of both these things (hormones and covid). I now have a gentler hair dye which doesnt contain such harsh chemicals. Its a bit more expensive but worth it. Ask your hairdresser what is available. X

AH10

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2023, 02:16:55 PM »

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Definitely linked to hair dye so will discuss with hairdresser  :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2023, 04:22:08 PM »

If ever I did a dye at home it looked like a murder had been committed  :o  ;D

I had hi and low lights a few times.  Now it's gone nicely grey/brown .......... when it's cut most of the grey disappears. 

Pmj 28

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2023, 04:54:33 PM »

Hi ,when I get my hair dye I have to wear a hair cap they pull the hair though the little holes.
As I got a very ichy scalp if I don't
Paula x

Haydo

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 03:21:41 PM »

A few years ago (post menopausal) I had my hair dyed  (by my usual hairdresser with a patch test, and the same dye that had been used for years).  A few days later I woke up and my scalp and all around my hairline was bright red and extremely sore.  For the next six months or so I suffered with redness and blisters on my scalp and some hair loss, I could only wash my hair with Faith in Nature fragrance free shampoo and could only use olive oil as a conditioner.  I had various tests for allergies etc but in the end I was told that I should not dye my hair again, as there was a possibility I could go into anaphylactic shock. 

It also seemed to trigger other sensitivities on my skin and reactions to any products or foods which had preservatives or additives in.  It took me a couple of years to get back to ‘normal’ and to be able to use normal shampoos and conditioners and skincare, although I am still very careful with what I use and always patch test any new product first. I still have to be careful with foods and eat very cleanly otherwise I itch all over.  With the benefit of hindsight I had been getting itchier and itchier after having my hair dyed each time.   I also had been feeling not quite right.  They never did find what had triggered this (the hair dye formulation had not changed) and I can only put it down to changes in me.  Almost like a build up and my body saying I don’t like this anymore.   I felt quite unwell for some time with it.  I do not take any oral HRT. 

I don’t want to worry anyone,  but am posting this just so that you are aware and don’t ignore any warning signs.  I had always been someone who worried about my roots, but I was just happy not to lose any more hair, my scalp to return to its normal colour, feel better in myself and embrace the grey! 

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 07:19:41 PM »

:thankyou:  Haydo.  Do U wear a medic-alert bracelet to let others know if you can't? 

Passiongirl

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2023, 03:27:37 PM »

I've been dyeing my hair for 40  years blonde ever since I saw Debbie harry on top of the pops! But since I've been taking hrt its gone orange!!I went to a hair salon but I looked like elle in legally blonde from the back but an old baf from the front!!and they charged me £80!! Now its a grey/brown/orange streaky mess and I hate it...I need my hrt but I miss who I was..

Clovie

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2023, 12:02:10 PM »

I became very sensitive to hair dye during peri.  Very itchy, hot and sore scalp after dying.
Previously I'd dyed all colours for years with no issues at all.
I thought it was PPD allergy (google it?) which can be really bad!
There's more PPD in the dye the darker colour it is, apparently.

Long story short - I solved the issue after lots and lots of research.
I now simply add a few sachets of Sweet-n-Low sweetener to the mixture when I dye. (Little oink packets)
NO further issues!  :o
It balances the Ph value in the mixture , sorry not sure on the full science behind it as it was years ago I looked it all up - but it works an absolute treat for me.

Worth a try?