Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bleeding  (Read 697 times)

alisonb100

• First Flush
Bleeding
« on: June 20, 2023, 09:32:59 AM »

Hi everyone

I was wondering whether anyone would be able to help or even say anything to keep me sane  :D

I posted on here quite some time ago (2022):
I'm nearly 48 and have been on HRT since I was 44. I'm looking for some advice regarding my HRT....
I started on Kliovance initially which controlled all my symptoms (it was like a miracle tbh!) but, I did suffer with quite bad headaches so my GP moved me onto Utrogestan 100mg caps (daily for 25 days and 5 days off) and Evorel 50 patches (twice weekly). This was going well and the headaches stopped but after a few months I had a breakthrough bleed. I was sent for an internal scan within a couple of weeks and everything was fine so I carried on. A year later (this year) I had another breakthrough bleed so was sent for another internal scan and again, everything was fine. The lining of the womb was perfect, cervix looked good (I always attend my smears).
The consultant recommended a 6 week break just so that they could see what happens and whether it could be a side effect of the HRT. Sure enough during this break I have had no more bleeding. I have since had a GP appointment and they recommended that I stop the patches (as the patches were more likely to cause bleeding than the capsules) and swap them for 1mg Sandrena gel which is one of the gels that you just can't get at the moment :( ."

My dilemma at the time was whether to restart my HRT as my menopause symptoms came back with vengeance. I did re-start them (continuous Utrogestan & Evorel patches) but have had nothing but trouble with bleeding since. Fast forward, I ended up having an appointment with my GP who then sent me for a scan which showed the the lining of the womb was 7mm rather than the 4mm that it was the year before when I had a previous scan. I have now been sent for another scan and possible hysteroscopy and biopsy which is due tomorrow.

I am absolutely terrified and have already explained twice on the phone that I don't think I can have the procedure done whilst I am awake. I have a phobia that was caused by a terrible experience at the dentist was I was 13 and this has caused a crippling fear for anything remotely medical. Most consultants never seem very good at showing empathy to the situation either. I'm considering stopping HRT this time altogether as I just can't cope with these procedures but also dreading having to cope with menopause symptoms again. I just wish I was one of those people that just rock up and get the job done as having a general anaesthetic is also a pain tbh   :'(

As you can imagine, a Mirena coil is definitely not an option for me but I know that is what they will probably recommend

Alison

jorainbow

Re: Bleeding
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 04:08:52 PM »

Hi Alison. I had all three of my biopsies under general as I refused to have it in clinic. You can ask and they have to to facilitate. You may have a slightly longer wait but if like me you are on the 2 week pathway  it will be a close as possible to this. My lining was 11mm then 16mm prior.

Booroo

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 04:55:02 PM »

Hi Alison. I had all three of my biopsies under general as I refused to have it in clinic. You can ask and they have to to facilitate. You may have a slightly longer wait but if like me you are on the 2 week pathway  it will be a close as possible to this. My lining was 11mm then 16mm prior.
I had scan and 2 biopsies taken and coil fitted all with gas and air knocked myself out

alisonb100

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 11:51:03 AM »

Many thanks for your replies :)

Well, had the scan today and everything was back to normal so the consultant didn't need to even do a biopsy, phew! It looks as though my body has decided that it still wants to have a cycle hence why the womb thickened before the bleeding started again. My consultant is going to send a letter to my GP and we might try and increase the Utrogestan to see if that would help....