Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is it normal for VA symptoms to wax and wane on topical HRT?  (Read 2538 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is it normal for VA symptoms to wax and wane on topical HRT?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2023, 12:04:23 PM »

U ask away.  4 me it was initially like razor blades  :o up there with increased need2P.  Appropriate treatment has helped a lot, occasionally I have to do a 2 week reload as well as taking Nurofen 3 times a day.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2023, 12:07:39 PM »

Thank you Flossie - and is this something you’ve had before so you know it will pass? Do you just keep up your treatment as it was and wait for the storm to pass?

And is it mostly a return of burning you get? So so sorry for all the questions

Do not be sorry. :)

Yes, I get mainly flares. If I am poorly, anxious, stressed then I will get a flare. They do pass. What I do is carry on with the Ovestin but on bad days I use it twice a day rather then once a day like I usually do.

When I get a flare I get soreness, constantly needing the loo, pain, irritable skin. All the VA symptoms. They just come back. It does pass though so please try not to panic.

Champers101

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2023, 01:08:11 PM »

Thank you so much to both of you for your support! Do you mean CLKD that it felt like razor blades during a flare up? That’s EXACTLY how it feels for me right now and it’s incredibly hard to live with and just get on with my normal days!

And by suitable treatment do you mean just sticking with topical HRT and adding some nurofen?

Thanks Flossie, your words are really reassuring. It’s just such a shock after things have been fine for so long! I have been taking Blissel every day but could try upping to twice daily

Flossieteacake

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2023, 01:09:39 PM »

Thank you so much to both of you for your support! Do you mean CLKD that it felt like razor blades during a flare up? That’s EXACTLY how it feels for me right now and it’s incredibly hard to live with and just get on with my normal days!

And by suitable treatment do you mean just sticking with topical HRT and adding some nurofen?

Thanks Flossie, your words are really reassuring. It’s just such a shock after things have been fine for so long! I have been taking Blissel every day but could try upping to twice daily

You are so welcome. I often get shooting pains going up there and a sensation like there is glass so I understand how horrible it is. A flare can come out of the blue and be scary but it will pass.

I think you will feel better taking Blissel twice a day until the flare calms down.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2023, 01:16:58 PM »

Initially it was like razor blades then intermittent urine infection-type symptoms.  Treated with 'ovestin' as well as Nurofen when necessary, seems to keep VA under control.

So yes - continue with the Blissel and pain relief when necessary.  As well as a mositorisor for the vulval area to keep it soft and less stingy.  It really is Trial and Error  ::)

Ayesha

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2023, 04:11:53 PM »

I think the use of a moisturiser is vital to go along with the other VA treatments, I just would not be without it.

Dierdre

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2023, 04:29:18 PM »

Thank you all again. How long do people find their flare ups usually last?

I can’t help worrying I’ve suddenly developed vulvodynia!

I've been suffering with the worst and longest flare up in seven years, I've had it since the beginning of May, so 6 weeks. Started when I took Benocol for 3 months and we now think the plant sterols in this caused the imbalance and competed or blocked the local estrogen. Then I used an old box of Vagifem, still in date but 2 years old, maybe degraded in the hot weather last summer at the back of my wardrobe, so it was as if I hadn't taking anything for weeks. To top it all another 2 cases of thrush, treatment didn't clear it first time then I mistook it for another flare up, burning was awful. Had swabs, result positive, took two more Caneston oral tablets plus a pessary to clear it. The pessary made it worse as I couldn't take Vagifem for a few days and I was so dry the Caneston pessary wouldn't melt!! Doctor sent me for a scan as my bladder was burning so bad but no UTI and pelvic scan clear.
I've now started CBT therapy as my health anxiety was off the scale and making my atrophy worse.
This week for the fist time in 6 weeks I'm starting to get through the day on one a day Vagifem again, been taking two some days but that then causes cramping and a weird surge or kind of wave in my stomach.
Anyway, I'm hoping this is the end of it. I had VA so under control so it was a shock, I never thought it would get so bad again after all this time.
The problem is the symptoms of a VA flare up are the same as thrush and lichens so I never know which it is for a while so just have to treat all three just in case.
Once we know the triggers and avoid them it helps but sometimes things like stress can't be avoided. My worst fear every flare up is that it will not get better but it does, it just takes so long...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 04:43:00 PM by Dierdre »

Champers101

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2023, 04:53:46 PM »

Thank you all. How many times a day do people tend to use moisturiser?

So sorry to hear you’ve had such a long flare up Deirdre! It’s such an added complication when you don’t know if it’s thrush or VA causing symptoms

I’m still praying the Blissel will come good again! It’s just strange to think that after everything was plumped up, that dryness could recur

Dierdre

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2023, 05:00:39 PM »

Use moisturisers as and when needed. I use YES water base, it's the only one that don't irritate or burn and I've tried a lot over the years and spent a fortune  :(

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2023, 05:03:17 PM »

Diedre - mayB use 'extra' - 1 in the morning the other at night?  So that the vulva doesn't get too much all at once?

Champers101

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2023, 05:10:52 PM »

Thanks Deidre - does Yes make a big difference? It’s not cheap! But relief would be priceless.

Minusminnie

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2023, 05:34:29 PM »

It’s not cheap! But relief would be priceless.

Yes enclosed a sachet sample of waterbase in the box with my latest order with them. It might be worth asking for some samples before any purchase or trying a travel size.

If you register with them for emails they have offer weekends every now & again which helps.

Champers101

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2023, 06:50:28 PM »

Brilliant, thank you

Dierdre

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2023, 09:48:59 PM »

Thanks Deidre - does Yes make a big difference? It’s not cheap! But relief would be priceless.
It helps on the days I'm feeling dry and burning as vagifem doesn't moisturise. You can get the YES Water base in the tube on prescription.

Jules

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2023, 06:35:06 AM »

I don't get internal pain. My main issues were only related to sex. If I stayed celibate I was ok. But otherwise was getting UTI each time I had sex. They eventually prescribed a profalactic antibiotic which did the trick but as I got older I started getting irritation after sex so tried vagifem. Just lately I've been getting external sensitivity like a twinging sensation. I don't know if it's since I started using Ovestin. It's annoying. I've said before but I didn't expect any of this, nobody tells you, particularly the change in how you look down there. Not everyone but some of us. I hate this aging.
Pages: 1 [2] 3