Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Is it normal for VA symptoms to wax and wane on topical HRT?  (Read 2536 times)

Champers101

Hi

Wondering if anyone can help please - I have been on Blissel for around 6 wks now and it was really helping with itching and burning symptoms. However after using a canesten pessary overnight a couple of days ago, the burning has come back despite me still using the Blissel daily. Am panicking that I’m going to be stuck with this burning forever now!

I was previously on ovestin, which caused migraines, so moved to Blissel/

Flossieteacake

Re: Is it normal for VA symptoms to wax and wane on topical HRT?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 07:28:54 AM »

VA can flare from time to time. Things like having thrush, a UTI, being stressed, being ill, all cause mine to flare. Please do not worry. It is likely the thrush had caused this and once things settle you will be back to how you were before. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 08:38:34 AM »

It is probably side effects of the canastan - when I thought that I had thrush but didn't, the product burned so much that I sat in a cool bath for 3 hours  :'(

Give yourself a thorough cleansing of the vulval area and begin VA treatment this evening.  Why did U think that you needed thrush treatment?  If there is a discharge it's probably the Blissel [reminds me of a brush  ::)  ;) ] leaving the body: what goes up etc..

If symptoms niggle I swallow 2 neurone 3 times a day until it feels less likely to need2P.

Champers101

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 01:11:43 PM »

Thank you for the replies - very reassuring!  I knew I had thrush because everything suddenly went madly itchy - and I have thrush quite regularly since starting HRT patches.

I was a bit worried about using a canesten pessary and the Blissel at the same time!

I’m praying that the Blissel hasn’t stopped working. Health anxiety really doesn’t help…

Minusminnie

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 01:22:56 PM »

I was a bit worried about using a canesten pessary and the Blissel at the same time!

You could try a one off oral Fluconazole 150 mg capsule bought at a pharmacy for thrush.  This then avoids another ‘product’ going in the vagina alongside the blissel. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 02:40:01 PM »

The Blissel will still work. This is a flare and needs calming down. You can even increase the Blissel to twice a day in the meantime if it would help. That is what I would do.

Ayesha

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 03:11:15 PM »

It's very normal for VA to wax and wane in any adverse circumstances, anything from hay fever to high humidity weather causes flare ups in me.
As Flossieteacake suggests, it's a flare up you are going through and will soon pass.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 03:47:23 PM »

Don't treat 'thrush' unless a sample has been taken by your Nurse Practitioner.

1 of my symptoms of VA is intense itchiness, too high up to scratch ! and if there's a discharge, unless it's thick, creamy and smelly, it's likely to be residue from the VA treatment.

Thrush thrives on sugars.  So checking your diet for 'hidden' sweetners etc. may help regulate the incidences, though if they are regular, you need to get the candida problem sorted clinically.  Do U suffer with oral thrush?

Champers101

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2023, 07:12:38 AM »

Thank you so much for all replies. My health anxiety is causing such panic as I thought everything VA-related was sorted after many months of agony! I could not live through it all again.

I haven’t had thrush checked this time (it’s tricky to get it checked!) but in the last few months I’ve had positive swabs a few times.

I’m really hoping and praying that this is a flare up, as people have said. Got to keep my faith in the Blissel! Just have that worry because I know it’s a lot weaker than Ovestin, and not many women seem to use it.

It’s horrible at the moment, burning just inside the vagina, almost like a tampon is stuck there. With associated urinary issues. But it does come and go throughout the day

Flossieteacake

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2023, 07:20:51 AM »

VA flares are awful. Unfortunately, anxiety can make them worse. Please know VA can flare and it is perfectly normal.

Dierdre

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2023, 07:56:53 AM »

Hi

Wondering if anyone can help please - I have been on Blissel for around 6 wks now and it was really helping with itching and burning symptoms. However after using a canesten pessary overnight a couple of days ago, the burning has come back despite me still using the Blissel daily. Am panicking that I’m going to be stuck with this burning forever now!

I was previously on ovestin, which caused migraines, so moved to Blissel/
When using a Caneston pessary you shouldn't use any other product at the same time, so it may not have worked properly if you carried on with the Blissel.
I would use an oral Caneston tablet so you can carry on with the Blissel. If there's no improvement then definately get a swab done.
It sometimes takes a couple of treatments to shift thrush if you've had it a while, or if it's recurring you may need something stronger or for longer on prescription.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 09:51:11 AM by Dierdre »

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2023, 08:14:35 AM »

Let us know how you get on.

Champers101

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2023, 10:01:13 AM »

Thank you all again. How long do people find their flare ups usually last?

I can’t help worrying I’ve suddenly developed vulvodynia!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2023, 10:14:12 AM »

Thank you all again. How long do people find their flare ups usually last?

I can’t help worrying I’ve suddenly developed vulvodynia!

I am currently experiencing a flare up that is lasting about 3 weeks. I would say it is different for everybody though and hopefully yours will not be as long.

Champers101

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2023, 12:02:17 PM »

Thank you Flossie - and is this something you’ve had before so you know it will pass? Do you just keep up your treatment as it was and wait for the storm to pass?

And is it mostly a return of burning you get? So so sorry for all the questions
Pages: [1] 2 3