Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT not right but not sure what to do- help appreciated!  (Read 882 times)

tambourine queen

HRT not right but not sure what to do- help appreciated!
« on: June 17, 2023, 08:03:19 PM »

Hi all
I hope everyone is well tonight. I’m 47 and I’m peri. Been on HRT since January this year. I have a patch constantly and then I have Utrogestan 14 days on and 14 days off. I feel an improvement in my low mood and joint issues. However I feel kind of low level pmt crampy a fair bit, sore boobs, anxiety off the chart and I’m pretty tired. I think something is off in terms of dosage but everything I read contradicts everything else! I’m a bit worried that I’ve started it too early and my own fluctuations in hormones are meaning the HRT is sometimes just too much! I’ll have a review in July and I’m at a loss about what to ask for. Anyone got any sage advice out there?  Thanks in advance!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT not right but not sure what to do- help appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 08:22:10 AM »

Morning. 

What were your periods doing and why did U decide to give HRT a try. 

It may take a while for the uptake to be felt by the body, and may interact with your own hormonal ups and downs.

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use to chart progress.  Sometimes HRT needs a tweak.

tambourine queen

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 08:41:09 AM »

Hi
My periods were happening but some months 20 days and some months 38 days type thing. Very very heavy - like i was a teenager. Went on HRT mostly due to very low mood- all of 2022 was just bleak. Also had joint stuff but that act talks didn’t bother me but it has improved. Anxiety hasn’t really improved.
I wonder if I’ve maybe started too early to really be helpful!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 09:17:25 AM »

It could be you are not on the right HRT for you. It can take time to find a HRT that suits. Ultrogestan can be difficult to tolerate and perhaps a different progesterone would suit you more. As your joint pain has improved I would think it means you were low in oestrogen. Anxiety can be one of the last symptoms to improve and if the ultrogestan is contributing to your anxiety it would explain why you still feel this way.

I had a look through your posts and now I remember how worried you were about trying HRT. Well done for giving it a try! That was a huge thing for you. Your mood improving sounds like it was helped by the oestrogen. I personally think you may be better suited to a different progesterone. This link will explain all the different HRT preparations. Do not worry as most often the first HT tried will not be the right one. :)

https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatment.php
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 09:19:57 AM by Flossieteacake »

tambourine queen

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 10:42:28 AM »

Thank you so much. That’s so helpful. I’ll try to keep a note of symptoms between now and my review. I was worried about starting and it has helped in some ways for sure x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2023, 11:21:11 AM »

I don't think that we can begin HRT too early.  We have to chart symptoms to see whether certain regimes might help, however, HRT isn't always a cure.

Did U suffer anxiety through out your menstruating years?  Some find that they require anti-anxiety medication as well as HRT which is supposedly, the first line of treatment for peri-menopause symptoms.  However  :-\

joziel

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 12:01:30 PM »

Are you noticing a difference in how you feel in the 2 weeks on utrogestan vs 2 weeks off it? Usually that is an obvious factor that the cause is the progesterone. If you're just feeling equally the same the whole time then it's probably not the progesterone...

What dosage is your patch?

tambourine queen

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2023, 03:59:18 PM »

Hi all
Yes I’m a very anxious person. Getting some CBT for it but I can’t see it’s really knocking it on the head.
During the progesterone weeks I feel more tired I would say.

Ermin2trude

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2023, 12:17:29 PM »

Hi,

As a person in peri I can relate.

Progesterone is the first hormone to tank leading up to the menopause, which is why some of the answers you’re getting might be conflicting.

Progesterone has a great anti-inflammatory action. The reduction of progesterone that comes with peri-menopause and menopause often means a reduction of these anti-inflammatory benefits.

Too much Oestrogen (often seen in peri-menopause) can result in fluid retention – not only in the breasts, but also in the joints. Too much fluid can cause joint distention, swelling and thus pain.

Progesterone can act like a diuretic. Too much fluid in the joints can result in joint distention and swelling. A reduction in progesterone (seen in peri-menopause and menopause) can mean that you lose the fluid releasing action you used to get on a monthly basis.

So your symptoms are from too much oestrogen …..especially the anxiety. However when your reach menopause and oestrogen falls off a cliff, then aching joints from lack of oestrogen come into effect.

Not enough Oestrogen (often seen in menopause) may play a role in insufficient joint lubrication. Lack of lubrication can mean stiff, achy, painful
Joints.

I hope this helps.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2023, 01:36:15 PM »

How can 1 have 'too much oestrogen'  :-\.  As levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Also the body may become dry: inside and out  >:(.  It's The Change.  Creeps up with some awful symptoms sometimes  :-\

Ermin2trude

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2023, 04:01:57 PM »

Hi CLKD,

Perhaps a better way of putting it would be the Pg/E2 ratio, which if ‘off’ in the favour of oestrogen would result in the symptoms I described as too much oestrogen. Apologies if I didn’t use the right terminology.

There’s a lot of info on the Pg/E2 ratio

https://hormonelab.co.uk/blogs/blog/the-pg-e2-progesterone-estradiol-ratio

Hopefully this will help.

tambourine queen

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2023, 10:44:36 AM »

THanks everyone but this is exactly what i'm struggling with. To some its too much of one thing, to others its the other! It feels very unfair to be feeling rubbish but also have to work all of this out at the same time.
On top of this i've been referred to the breast clinic is I have a weird dimply bit on my right breast. The doc isn't worried but clinic is belt and braces. But i feel INSANELY anxious about it. She was very interested in  my HRT when she was examining me. I honestly right now feel like just stopping it all.
But I shall breathe and deal with one thing at a time. Thank you all for taking the time to try to put things into words for me.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2023, 10:48:27 AM »

THanks everyone but this is exactly what i'm struggling with. To some its too much of one thing, to others its the other! It feels very unfair to be feeling rubbish but also have to work all of this out at the same time.
On top of this i've been referred to the breast clinic is I have a weird dimply bit on my right breast. The doc isn't worried but clinic is belt and braces. But i feel INSANELY anxious about it. She was very interested in  my HRT when she was examining me. I honestly right now feel like just stopping it all.
But I shall breathe and deal with one thing at a time. Thank you all for taking the time to try to put things into words for me.

I can understand you feeling anxious. Twice I have had to go to The Royal Marsden to have my breasts examined and it is scary. They take quick action but this does not mean there is anything to worry about.

tambourine queen

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2023, 11:37:26 AM »

Thank you! Glad you were ok.  :)