Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hi, nervous newbie  (Read 3668 times)

Beans

Re: Hi, nervous newbie
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2023, 06:55:55 AM »

Hi, just an update and also wanted to thank everyone for the really warm welcome and for all your tips. I’m going through a bit of a traumatic situation atm (that I think would have someone with a robust nervous system feeling frayed), so my anxiety is a bit out of control & I’m really grateful for the support & advice.

I called my GP this arvo & spoke to her colleague & she prescribed the beta blocker (propranolol) you guys suggested. I’ve just taken one. I’m checking back in with my GP on Thursday. I also bought the Vit D3, I’m going to start that tomorrow, make sure I’m ok with the beta blacker first, so I can distinguish any possible side effects. Thank you thank you!

Flossieteacake

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2023, 07:27:28 AM »

Hi, just an update and also wanted to thank everyone for the really warm welcome and for all your tips. I’m going through a bit of a traumatic situation atm (that I think would have someone with a robust nervous system feeling frayed), so my anxiety is a bit out of control & I’m really grateful for the support & advice.

I called my GP this arvo & spoke to her colleague & she prescribed the beta blocker (propranolol) you guys suggested. I’ve just taken one. I’m checking back in with my GP on Thursday. I also bought the Vit D3, I’m going to start that tomorrow, make sure I’m ok with the beta blacker first, so I can distinguish any possible side effects. Thank you thank you!

Thank you for the update. So sorry to hear you are going through a traumatic situation. If you wish to, you could post about it in the Private Lives section then we could support you. No worries if you prefer not to though. :)

It sounds like your chat with your GP went well. I hope the propranolol helps.

Beans

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2023, 09:24:46 AM »

Thanks Flossie :). Thank you for letting me know, I might venture to the Private Lives section in a few days. I’m a little raw at the moment tho, I think, trying not to think about the typhoon in the room.

I’ve been started on a very low dose of the beta blockers (I’m kind of a delicate flower with side effects). I’m hoping they help. I’m also going to ask my GP on Thu if I can take a less constipating antidepressant, that mixes ok with the Amitriptyline.

It’s night here & my Apple Watch tells me I’ve 303% of my exercise goal for the day with all the pacing, so there’s that haha :)

Losingtheplot

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2023, 10:12:47 AM »

Ahh thank you for the update. So pleased your Gp appointment went well. Big hugs hunni. Like Flossie says if you do need support for other things you are going thru then we are here to listen, support and be here. Totally get if you don't want to though hunni xxxxx

Beans

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2023, 12:38:40 AM »

Ahh thank you for the update. So pleased your Gp appointment went well. Big hugs hunni. Like Flossie says if you do need support for other things you are going thru then we are here to listen, support and be here. Totally get if you don't want to though hunni xxxxx

Thanks losingtheplot, you guys are so sweet :). Sorry been having a rough week, on a new antidepressant now tho so *fingers crossed*.

Losingtheplot

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2023, 05:09:42 AM »

Thanks losingtheplot, you guys are so sweet :). Sorry been having a rough week, on a new antidepressant now tho so *fingers crossed*.

Hi hunni big hugs take one day at a time Xxxx you will get there Ads can take alittle time to work which Ads are you on?
Please post if you need support hunni we are all here to help xxx

Beans

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2023, 06:29:54 AM »

Hi hunni big hugs take one day at a time Xxxx you will get there Ads can take alittle time to work which Ads are you on?

Thanks :). I’ve just started Mirtazapine (AD) & have come off the Largactil (antipsychotic - originally prescribed bc I was suffering from severe sleep deprivation & my shrink said it was the most sedating med he could throw at it). Mirtazapine is (like Largactil) sedating & appetite-inducing (something else I need help with).

I’ve been on Mirtazapine a couple of times in the past, awhile back, after the ADs stopped working & I was just cycling through all the AD categories (down to the MAOIs). I have this hope that the ADs failed bc I was on a very strong contraceptive pill for over a decade that worsened my depression. It’s just a theory, but I’m keeping my hopes up. The Amitriptyline I’m on (also an AD, altho too constipating to increase to an AD-therapeutic dose) has worked wonders for my neuropathic pain so hopefully the combo will work for my depression *fingers crossed*.

Re that ADs take time to work, I’m trying to be patient, but I’m so very impatient by nature, eep :-\ *taps nails*.

meno-mel

• No ovarian function & I bleed cyclically on conti!
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2023, 08:06:42 AM »

Thanks :). I’ve just started Mirtazapine (AD) & have come off the Largactil (antipsychotic - originally prescribed bc I was suffering from severe sleep deprivation & my shrink said it was the most sedating med he could throw at it). Mirtazapine is (like Largactil) sedating & appetite-inducing (something else I need help with).

I’ve been on Mirtazapine a couple of times in the past, awhile back, after the ADs stopped working & I was just cycling through all the AD categories (down to the MAOIs). I have this hope that the ADs failed bc I was on a very strong contraceptive pill for over a decade that worsened my depression. It’s just a theory, but I’m keeping my hopes up. The Amitriptyline I’m on (also an AD, altho too constipating to increase to an AD-therapeutic dose) has worked wonders for my neuropathic pain so hopefully the combo will work for my depression *fingers crossed*.

Re that ADs take time to work, I’m trying to be patient, but I’m so very impatient by nature, eep :-\ *taps nails*.
I find magnesium supplements help with mood, sleep and also constipation. The cheaper the magnesium, the better it will be for tackling constipation, like magnesium oxide.
I'm on long term opiate medication, so I know a thing or two about constipation, lol. I've even been desperate enough to deliberately put myself into withdrawal, just to shift it!

Beans

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2023, 08:50:58 AM »

I find magnesium supplements help with mood, sleep and also constipation. The cheaper the magnesium, the better it will be for tackling constipation, like magnesium oxide.
I'm on long term opiate medication, so I know a thing or two about constipation, lol. I've even been desperate enough to deliberately put myself into withdrawal, just to shift it!

Oh my goodness, thank you for the tip! I used to take Magnesium, years ago, & it was the only vitamin/mineral that’s ever really noticeably worked for my anxiety, but I’ve been avoiding it bc I thought it caused constipation *massive facepalm*. I’ve just looked it up & yes it’s the other way around. Thank you, I’m a dolt, I’m def going to get some.

Oof, re the long term opiate medication, I hear you, it’s awful isn’t it? It’s also incredibly scary when things get properly blocked/impacted. Macrogol & the occasional stimulant (Bisacodyl) have been my friends in the last three years since this started.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2023, 10:50:35 AM »

I wanted a cure yesterday: so depressed at times that I crawled around the house  :'(

Hormones can certainly alter our moods.  The National Association for Pre-menstrual Syndrome [NAPS], UK, gave me lots of good advice, mainly about eating every 3 hours to stop those awful gut surges when the body needs energy which 4me = panic attacks.

Beans

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2023, 11:53:02 AM »

I wanted a cure yesterday: so depressed at times that I crawled around the house  :'(

Hormones can certainly alter our moods.  The National Association for Pre-menstrual Syndrome [NAPS], UK, gave me lots of good advice, mainly about eating every 3 hours to stop those awful gut surges when the body needs energy which 4me = panic attacks.

:'( I’m so sorry *many hugs*. Before I started the Mirtazapine, I had increased the Amitriptyline, & then had to reverse course bc the constipation got so bad & my depression significantly worsened as a result (which is a good sign I think, means the ADs are working). I’ve been stooped over & rocking back & forth for the last three days. The depression & anxiety sort of bear down on me so I can’t stand up straight. I have a guy coming to help me with the garden tomorrow & I’ll have to hold myself up like a normal person  :-\ *takes deep breaths*. I really was in the worst position for tackling perimenopause when it started, I was already struggling with depression, anxiety, chronic insomnia at a level that I thought couldn’t get worse  :'(

Re NAPS, gosh you have some terrific resources in the UK, that looks excellent (reading thru their guidelines)

Losingtheplot

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2023, 04:01:29 PM »

I really hope they help you and great news about the neuropathic pain being helped by the Ads.

I too can be impatient so I totally get that just think everyday you take an pill its getting in your system more and hopefully you feel the positive effects soon xxx
Pages: 1 [2]