Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Advice wanted please - New to HRT - which route to choose?  (Read 587 times)

Fiona1972

• First Flush
Advice wanted please - New to HRT - which route to choose?
« on: June 18, 2023, 02:25:35 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm 50 and have been perimenopausal a few years but the last few weeks symptoms have been alot worse.  I'm still having periods, sometime a week late/early.  I've spoken to GP and she's happy to prescribe me HRT.  She said I'm low risk so can choose whether I want tablets, patch, gel or spray.  I just want to start it asap so want to make a decision.

I've read about them all and I honestly don't know which to go for.  Please does anyone have any advice. 

Thank you  :) xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Advice wanted please - New to HRT - which route to choose?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 02:28:38 PM »

Well, welcome.  I don't take HRT other than vaginal atrophy treatment - do read up about those symptoms ;-) - hopefully someone will be along.

There are pros and cons to all treatments.  It really can be Trial and Error. My periods waxed and waned for ages - some missing then they would be regular B4 disappearing again  ::)

It may help to keep a mood/food/symptom diary to chart progress. 

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 02:34:43 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum. HRT is different for everybody. I personally would try oestrogen patches first. If you start of on the lowest dose you can find out if you can tolerate this without side effects. Then if after a few weeks you feel fine I would then add a progesterone. The reason I say this is, although you need both oestrogen and progesterone, if you do not get on with one type you would not know if you are taking both at the same time.

I hope that makes sense as I am bad at explaining myself. This is just my opinion and you will find lots of different opinions. :)

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 02:51:54 PM »

Clear as mud but I knows what you means .........

Try not to overwhelm the body with too many hormones at the same time = oestrogen first to see how you feel.  Ladies with a womb need progesterone to prevent build up.  There are several ways of delivering HRT.  If your GP doesn't seem up2date then asking for a referral to a menopause clinic is advised.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 03:15:53 PM »

Clear as mud but I knows what you means .........

Try not to overwhelm the body with too many hormones at the same time = oestrogen first to see how you feel.  Ladies with a womb need progesterone to prevent build up.  There are several ways of delivering HRT.  If your GP doesn't seem up2date then asking for a referral to a menopause clinic is advised.

Thank you. You explained that far better then me. :)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2023, 05:33:06 PM »

We makes a good Team, we does  ;)

Ask away Fiona1972!

Fiona1972

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 05:37:37 PM »

Thanks ladies for your reply.  My GP said on the phone that as I'd need both oestrogen and progresterone and I think she will be prescribing both.  I'm thinking of going with patches.  I read that there is a slightly increased risk of clot with tablet as it goes through your liver whereas the patch, gel and spray don't.  I could ask for oestrogen patch and arrange to get the mirena coil in for the progresterone, how does that sound?

SarahT

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2023, 06:08:48 PM »

Hello Fiona,

I have been on patches since September, I did start with oral utrogestan, but that was not so good for me so I had a mirena coil fitted for the progesterone part. These seem to work for me. The patches are changed twice a week and obviously once the coil settles, ( I had  slight bleeding for a few weeks) then I find it convenient just to almost forget about it. It seems to deliver a steady consistent amount of progesterone, rather than the ups and downs of utrogestan.

Needless to say we are all different at what regime works for us. For some It can take a bit of time for the body to adjust to hrt.But just remember there is a lot of info on this forum and if you have any questions or worries then just ask... Always be someone who can help out.

Wish you well

Fiona1972

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2023, 06:42:24 PM »

Thank you Sarah, that sounds reassuring.  I have a very responsible and stressful job but I'm off work just now due to my symptoms so I'm keen to find something to improve them so I can get back to work.  I have thought due to my symptoms that I wouldn't be able to continue in my current role but I really hope that isn't the case.  You hear about so many women who have given up their jobs because of the menopause.

Thank you everyone for responding. 

SarahT

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2023, 06:49:59 PM »

You are so welcome.

I do hope that you will soon feel able to be back at work again, and get your symptoms relieved. I would never have believed how much Peri\memo symptoms can impact some women's lives until it hit me! Many women cannot really understand this,but this forum is full of info and support - because so many on here as you can read, are also no hard by the hormonal changes.

Let us know how do you get on.