Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Swapped from patches to gel - feeling rubbish now  (Read 943 times)

jadenatalie123

Swapped from patches to gel - feeling rubbish now
« on: June 16, 2023, 10:09:40 PM »

Hey, I’ve been on Evorel 75 patches and the mirena since Feb and was mostly settled on this. But I since have had struggles with patches staying stuck (tried all the tips and tricks!) so decided to swap to the gel, so I’ve been on the gel for 2 days, 75 dose. So I took my patch off on an evening and the next morning started the 3 pumps, I’m on day 2 and I’ve taken such a nose dive today.

Joint pains, tiredness, low mood, and now I’ve had a bleed too. I’ve no idea what’s happened. It’s like I’ve completely dropped all hormones but I haven’t. I did have an almost 12 hour break between taking the patch off and applying the new gel (but that’s what the pharmacist told me to do).

Has anyone done this same switch? Did you have any issues? Any ideas of what’s going on with me?!

Thank you x

Perinowpost

Re: Swapped from patches to gel - feeling rubbish now
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 05:25:38 AM »

Maybe you’re not absorbing the gel. I had the same issue, swapped back to patches and all went back to normal within a couple of hours x

Flossieteacake

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 07:03:11 AM »

Did you try Tegaderm dressings over the patches to help them stick? I am unable to use patches without them as they do not stick to my skin. Just thought I would mention that.

jadenatalie123

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2023, 07:13:45 AM »

Did you try Tegaderm dressings over the patches to help them stick? I am unable to use patches without them as they do not stick to my skin. Just thought I would mention that.

Hi Flossie, yep tried tegaderm, wiping with alcohol prior to putting on, using hairdryer etc etc! I might have to go back to them if this gel doesn’t settle down though!

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2023, 08:00:28 AM »

I would give it a bit longer as it may be the effects of the 12 hour break. I find estrodot sticks better than evorel but there are supply issues atm so it may not be the best solution. If you find 3 pumps aren't enough you could increase to 4. Assume you know it has to be applied to clean, dry skin and some skin care products can affect absorption.

Ermin2trude

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 08:59:19 AM »

I’m another advocate for estradot. They’re really small and you stick them to your abdomen somewhere below the belly button. I understand some people have had trouble getting hold of them but I haven’t. Yet.

joziel

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2023, 10:06:03 AM »

With the gel you have, does your bottle have green square near the base of it or an orange square? There are many women online who think green square isn’t as strong as it should be and who need more pumps using green than orange. This is due to the inactive ingredients and how they affect absorption.

But even without that factor you might need more gel than you needed patches because we all absorb these things differently. If it doesn’t improve in a few days add another pump…

Pippa52

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2023, 10:49:37 AM »

I was on the gel for 25 years with no problem then the shortages kicked in and I was swopped from pillar to post.  When the gel came back on stream I went back on it at the exact same dose I had always been on but felt dreadful.  After being on it for 3 months I had a blood test and my oestrogen blood level had plummeted to only 50 pmol  and the Meno consult said I might as well not be on HRT at all as I clearly was not absorbing it at all (I was on 3 pumps daily).  I can only think there must have been some kind of alteration in the make up of the gel somehow.  I am now on Estradot patches (62.5) which work better for me.I should add I tried the Oestrogel with both the green square and the amber/orange one and it made no difference to me personally.  It is so individual what works for one person doesn't another so its finding out what suits you best.  Can be a bit of roller coaster getting there though :(  Hope so much you feel better soon xx
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 10:51:31 AM by Pippa52 »

joziel

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2023, 02:26:37 PM »

That’s very interesting Pippa because I had something like that happen with patches. When I first went on them, I was definitely absorbing them because I got side effects (high estrogen) every time I increased a level. I came off them for 5 months as I seemed very sensitive and wanted to restart lower and slower - but when I restarted they seemed to do almost nothing. A 50mcg patch was only giving me 198pmol. I swapped to gel and I found even just one pump of gel (green!) better than the 62.5 patch I was on!

So I do wonder if sometimes our bodies stop absorbing some transdermal estrogen for some reason or other 🤷‍♀️

Joesmum

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2023, 12:18:21 PM »

Hi jadenatalie,
The gel is a reservoir system which builds up under the skin. It will take at least 2 weeks to build those reserves when you start the gel so the nosedive isn’t unusual. In fact when I switched from the patches to the Gel, the same thing happened to me. It took at least 2 weeks before I felt the Gel kick in. The delivery method was confirmed by my gynaecologist who explained how the gel works.

KatyB

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2023, 08:06:57 AM »

I'm another who found that the gel didn't seem to absorb well, went onto to Estradot and was sorted. However, estradot supplies are very erratic and currently pharmacy can't get them at all, so I'm on Everol (100) and they are huge! I found Estradot stuck best for me. Also on Provera currently as pharmacy can't get Utrogestan either.....hating the chopping and changing. Anyway, message is very much test where you are applying and if you feel you aren't getting 'enough' estrogen trying upping the pumps but may find that you don't absorb gel well.

Oh, and good luck with the journey!

Perinowpost

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2023, 10:20:22 AM »

Hi jadenatalie,
The gel is a reservoir system which builds up under the skin. It will take at least 2 weeks to build those reserves when you start the gel so the nosedive isn’t unusual. In fact when I switched from the patches to the Gel, the same thing happened to me. It took at least 2 weeks before I felt the Gel kick in. The delivery method was confirmed by my gynaecologist who explained how the gel works.

I didn't know that Joesmum.  It explains why I couldn't get on with gel, tried it for a week and felt terrible, so went back to patches. x

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2023, 12:55:56 PM »

Hi Jadenatalie123,

I use Estradot 50 and they are so small and have never had any trouble sticking. They are brilliant. My chemist had no issues getting them. Good luck with your search to find the best for you!!

Sue1972

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2023, 04:19:19 PM »

I also felt a lot worse when I first swapped from patches to the gel.

I was on Everol Sequi 50 patches which had worked for a full year but then I started to feel all my symptoms coming back again.

I was put onto Estradiol gel and Utrogesten Tablets. I have 3 pumps a day. 1 pump on the inside of each thigh each morning and 1 pump on an alternate arm each night.

At first I felt really awful but then I found some great top tips on this forum.

First, don't apply the gel like suncream. Pump it onto your finger tips and swipe it up and down the area you are applying it to. The ensures most of the dose actually goes onto the area you are applying it to and not your hand to be washed down the sink! Secondly discard the first pump from a new tube and only use 64 pumps from that new tube.

Once I started following this advice I felt instantly better. :)