Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help re vaginal atrophy  (Read 1195 times)

patches1972

Help re vaginal atrophy
« on: June 16, 2023, 05:19:49 PM »

Hi Ladies
I have posted on here before but here is an update. Quick re cap. Went to my GP roughly 4 years ago with a sore on my vulva, she examined me and assured me it wasn't anything serious and prescribed cream for the sore area (it cleared it up after a couple of days). She said the entrance to my vagina was very red and sore. Whilst being examined I mentioned I was concerned that my "inner lips" were disappearing but she just said women have inner labia of varying sizes. I was prescribed 1 box of Vagifem and told to return and let her know how I got on. I did that and told her the Vagifem made a big difference to the dryness, itching and soreness and asked for more and was refused as she said she would rather refuse me than see me on a cancer ward! So, that was that. Fast forward to this month, my old GP had now retired so I had a telephone consultation with a younger lady GP and explained the situation. I told her that everything I had read stated that Vagifem is safe to use all the time, she agreed, I said it was such a small localized dose, she agreed. She did say at 65 I was bound to have these symptoms, and she would prescribe it for me. I was so relieved. However, that was short lived as I then asked could I stay on it long term but she said it's best to use it then have a break. I have just had the prescription come through and she's given me 1 box :-\ I will try and get a repeat prescription when I have used them but if I am refused what is the next step? I have all the signs of VA soreness, itching, stinging, no pubic hair, no inner labia, no clitoral hood etc. Getting fed up of being fobbed off now as though getting to 65 I should expect this. I'm at a loss. I have never been on HRT so surely I could be on this permanently?

Flossieteacake

Re: Help re vaginal atrophy
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 05:34:21 PM »

I am so sorry this has happened to you yet again! How frustrating. If you have a break then the VA will flare again. How frustrating the GP is unable to understand this.

Is it possible to write to the practice manager? If not then perhaps printing out information and showing the GP will help. In the meantime if you are in the UK you can buy Gina over the counter which is very similar to Vagifem.

It is terrible to be told you should put up with this due to age. VA has nothing to do with age and is due to lack of oestrogen. I started VA symptoms at 38.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 06:04:25 PM »

Your GP is so OUT OF DATE!  Buy a few copies of 'me and my menopausal vagina', written by a Forum member, available on Amazon.  Give 1 to the Practice Manager ;-). 

There is no need to have a break from essential vaginal atrophy treatment; there is no need for an examination or blood tests.  GPs should go on symptoms. 

'see u on a cancer ward'  :bang: what ever Century was she living in  :beat:

Ask your Surgery to refer you to a dedicated menopause clinic; not a Gynae; they're R waiting lists for NHS clinics so best to get onto one ASAP.  U can also send a short e-mail to Dr Currie who runs the Forum: asking for clarification that treatment can be used for life regardless of age and that you don't need to take a break.

Let us know how you get on.

suzysunday

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 07:46:32 PM »

How flaming awful for you.  Are there any other gp's in the practice you can see.  Treatment is for life otherwise you will be back to square one.  Ridiculous and unnecessary frightening talking about a cancer ward.  Life would be unbearable without treatment for VA.   Fight your corner as you will be the one suffering, not them.  X

joziel

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 08:10:46 PM »

I think you need to change GP. You can also buy Gina in any pharmacy now, without a prescription - which is the same thing as Vagifem. But you do have to pay for it and if you need it every day you don't want to do that. I'd change GP and even change practice, if I were you....

Ayesha

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 09:44:27 PM »

Do as much research on here regarding Vaginal Atrophy and the treatments given to women who have this condition, once diagnosed treatment is for life, full stop!
Compose a letter to your health authority and mention the fact you are being denied treatment for Vaginal Atrophy, a well known condition.

Vaginal Atrophy is so well known now, its available to buy over the counter, but at a cost.
One thing I have found is if you don't fight your corner, no one else will and the majority of us are able to get this treatment without argument or fuss.

I am assuming you are in the UK, if so your surgery should be ashamed at how little they know about Vaginal Atrophy, an extremely chronic and painful condition if left untreated, and I repeat, its for life!

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2023, 08:04:56 AM »

Gina is for ladies over 50 who haven't had a period for 12 months - and U will be spoken to by a Pharmacist and probably asked to continue with the Chemist Company for repeated buys.

Thinking about these comments in the early hours: 'rather than seeing you in a cancer ward' as well as many practitioners considering that ladies need a break in VA treatments: do other HRT choices have natural breaks  :-\: and would heart and diabetic conditions have an on-off regime?  If not, why HRT?

Jules

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2023, 02:02:02 PM »

I'm 65. My GP also only prescribes one box and says I've to break. It's really annoying. I'm currently using vagirux because my vagifem finished and for some reason the pharmacy had been holding the vagirux for me however I've had mild uti sensation since changing. I'm sure it's tge vagurux. I was fine on vagifem. I don't think there's enough help for older women and certainly we got more info about puberty when I feel there's more difficult change with menopause.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2023, 03:44:01 PM »

Ask your Practice Manager why the GP is out of date on how to prescribe essential VA Treatment?  I get two boxes of Ovestin when I order.  No quibbles.

U could also send an e-mail to Dr Currie to ask why GPs are still suggesting a break and is this necessary - her reply should arm you with advice for your Practice members.  Also, buying a copy of 'me and my menopausal vagina' to hand to them might help too!  Written by a member of the forum it's a really useful tool to educate others ......  ;)

You may find Jules that your vagina is reacting to the fillers/packaging or 'vagirux' isn't the same amount of active ingredient.  Do U use two doses occasionally to ease those symptoms?

patches1972

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2023, 06:36:39 PM »

Thank you ladies for all the good advice. Once I've used the box given I will put in for a repeat prescription and see what happens. If I don't get it I will speak to the GP again and if necessary asked to be referred  to a menopause clinic

Flossieteacake

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2023, 06:38:38 PM »

Thank you ladies for all the good advice. Once I've used the box given I will put in for a repeat prescription and see what happens. If I don't get it I will speak to the GP again and if necessary asked to be referred  to a menopause clinic

Perhaps put the request in before the box is finished in case you are left without any while it is sorted out.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2023, 06:40:23 PM »

Don't wait, put in the repeat prescription this week.  Our surgery asks for 2 weeks notice for collection after 3-5 days .......... let us know how you get on.

Ayesha

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2023, 06:47:00 PM »

Don't wait, put in the repeat prescription this week.  Our surgery asks for 2 weeks notice for collection after 3-5 days .......... let us know how you get on.

Two weeks notice! I can order a repeat prescription online and most times it's ready for collection from the pharmacy the next day, or two.
Some surgeries certainly work different to others!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2023, 06:56:27 PM »

Yep.  We've had written notification about the new 'rules'  ::)

Jules

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2023, 08:09:26 AM »

No ive never altered the dose. Its easing now but i'll request a prescription for vagifem as that is OK. I'll see what the response is. I've to order through an online appointment system so have to get a slot at 8am. It's so  bad. My son is dating a GP. I'm hoping we'll end up with a doctor in the family 😊
Ask your Practice Manager why the GP is out of date on how to prescribe essential VA Treatment?  I get two boxes of Ovestin when I order.  No quibbles.

U could also send an e-mail to Dr Currie to ask why GPs are still suggesting a break and is this necessary - her reply should arm you with advice for your Practice members.  Also, buying a copy of 'me and my menopausal vagina' to hand to them might help too!  Written by a member of the forum it's a really useful tool to educate others ......  ;)

You may find Jules that your vagina is reacting to the fillers/packaging or 'vagirux' isn't the same amount of active ingredient.  Do U use two doses occasionally to ease those symptoms?
Pages: [1] 2