Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT and sertraline  (Read 580 times)

BBillingham

• First Flush
HRT and sertraline
« on: June 27, 2023, 06:29:12 PM »

Hi there. First time here and first time posting and seeking help!
Been struggling for years and combination of perimenopause, family trauma and work, desperate to feel like me again. Due to breast cancer in family, been putting off oestrogen patches and utrogestan tablets, but reassure safest option for breast cancer.
Also have sertraline and scared to take ....will I get addicted?
Feel sad, emotional, tired and foggy all the time. Lack energy and just not myself.
Any advice on experiences please would be so appreciated and I'd love to hear if anyone has the patch, utrogestan tabs and sertraline together.
Thank you x

Flossieteacake

Re: HRT and sertraline
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 06:34:49 PM »

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum. I am very sorry to hear you have so much going on. With all you have to endure it is no wonder you are feeling the way you do.

With sertraline, you will not become addicted. When taking an antidepressant and you want to stop you have to ween yourself off it slowly. This is just to avoid side effects as your body needs to adjust. This does not mean you are addicted to it. Antidepressants are safe and I have taken one for many years.

If you wish to, you could always start one thing at a time to give yourself time to adjust. You may like to start the oestrogen patch first. You could use it for two weeks and then if you feel okay, you can introduce the ultrogestan.

I hope you are getting some support with the family trauma. If you are not then you may like to post about it in the 'private lives' part of the forum so members can support you.

SarahT

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 06:51:42 PM »

Hello and welcome,

I agree with Flossie, ( always such a supportive forum member ) that it may be a good idea idea not to do everything all at once.

I kind of did a bit opposite to you, unaware exactly of my best options when peri hit, I decided to not have hrt but sertraline instead. And whilst this did indeed offer me support, other hormonal symptoms came along which the ADs could not help with. So in my case, I took myself off the sertraline, with my gps knowledge and commenced hrt.

It was not my best idea to do all this at once as my body got a bit overwhelmed with too much going on. So Flossies advice I believe is sensible, as you may find if you decide on the hrt regime, this may help enough without the additional AD. Of course you can always add this on after speaking with your g.p at a later point.

This forum covers so many subjects, not always hormonal.so do indeed post with any questions or have a little rant or ask for help. Everyone on here are so kind, informative and supportive.

BBillingham

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 07:14:23 PM »

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum. I am very sorry to hear you have so much going on. With all you have to endure it is no wonder you are feeling the way you do.

With sertraline, you will not become addicted. When taking an antidepressant and you want to stop you have to ween yourself off it slowly. This is just to avoid side effects as your body needs to adjust. This does not mean you are addicted to it. Antidepressants are safe and I have taken one for many years.

If you wish to, you could always start one thing at a time to give yourself time to adjust. You may like to start the oestrogen patch first. You could use it for two weeks and then if you feel okay, you can introduce the ultrogestan.

I hope you are getting some support with the family trauma. If you are not then you may like to post about it in the 'private lives' part of the forum so members can support you.

Thank you so much, think the reassurance is what I am looking for x

BBillingham

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 07:17:36 PM »

Hello and welcome,

I agree with Flossie, ( always such a supportive forum member ) that it may be a good idea idea not to do everything all at once.

I kind of did a bit opposite to you, unaware exactly of my best options when peri hit, I decided to not have hrt but sertraline instead. And whilst this did indeed offer me support, other hormonal symptoms came along which the ADs could not help with. So in my case, I took myself off the sertraline, with my gps knowledge and commenced hrt.

It was not my best idea to do all this at once as my body got a bit overwhelmed with too much going on. So Flossies advice I believe is sensible, as you may find if you decide on the hrt regime, this may help enough without the additional AD. Of course you can always add this on after speaking with your g.p at a later point.

This forum covers so many subjects, not always hormonal.so do indeed post with any questions or have a little rant or ask for help. Everyone on here are so kind, informative and supportive.

Thank you. I think I'm going to do what you've both suggested. Loving reading the posts to know lots are feeling the same. Thank you for taking time xx

DottyD68

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 07:33:23 PM »

Hi BBillingham

Sorry you are having such a rough time but glad you have reached out. Menopause can be a really lonely time (along with life's other challenges thrown in) but I have found this forum so helpful and it made me realise I am not alone, and neither are you with all these supportive ladies. I can totally relate to "Just wanting to feel like me again".

My main piece of advice, during this rollercoaster ride, is to take one day at a time and don't put too much pressure on yourself. You may find that you have alleviated symptoms only for them to return at some future point as hormones fluctuate, but they will disappear again. If today is bad, tomorrow will be better. Have hope. Sometimes easier said than done but it has helped me.

Sending you Very best wishes X

Songbird

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2023, 07:44:01 PM »

Hi there 👋...
I am 6 years postmenopause now. I've been on evorel 50 patches, utrogestan and sertraline for the past 18 months and can honestly say I feel really good on this regime. So much better than when I tried to cope with increasingly debilitating menopausal symptoms with no support. Sertraline is not addictive but, as others have said, side effects would kick in if stopping without tapering off. Sending you hugs x