Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Spotting, ultrasound, thick womb lining  (Read 1191 times)

VioletAquarius

Spotting, ultrasound, thick womb lining
« on: June 09, 2023, 04:29:39 PM »

I have recently just gone 12 months with no periods, but then 3 weeks later I started having pink spotting. 

I've just come back from having an internal ultrasound at the hospital in which the gynaecologist said my womb lining was 7mm thick (the normal being 5mm).  I'm not taking, and have never taken, hrt.

The gynaecologist is therefore sending me for a hysteroscopy to have a biopsy done.

Recently, my GP gave me vagifem to see if it helps with my prolapse & urge, but I haven't started taking it yet, I wanted to know the outcome of today first. The gynaecologist said it's OK to take it, he said it will help with the hysteroscopy.

I have two questions please. Firstly, do you think it will be okay to take the Vagifem as we don't know why my womb is thick or why I'm spotting yet.

Secondly, has anyone had a similar experience, or able to give any input. I'm obviously worried, thinking the worst.

Thank you

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Spotting, ultrasound, thick womb lining
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 05:30:02 PM »

Did the GP or Gynaecologist seem concerned?  Of course we worry - do NOT Google ;-)

It may be a glitch in your own hormones.  Ovaries can continue to pump out small amounts of hormone .......... why would Vagifem help with a prolapse?  Hopefully some1 will be along to explain that one.  Did the GP not recommend getting advice from a physiotherapy interested in womens health?  Might B worth while getting an appt. set up so if she suggests exercises, you can begin after the biopsy.  Which is usual when lining is 7mm with associated spotting.

Let us know how you get on.

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 10:50:13 PM »

I think it's more of a 'just in case' scenario as the majority don't show anything sinister. Suggest you take a pain killer beforehand though, it hurts. The ovaries carry on producing oestrogen for some time after your periods stop so perhaps that's what caused it. Vagifem should be OK and she's right it should make it easier for you.

Dierdre

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 09:16:12 AM »

Just because you've hit the 12 month marker without a period doesn't necessarily mean that's the end. It's routine to check any bleeding after this time but lots of women still have periods after 12 months without one, I did. Had a biopsy and all normal. I believe the 12 month marker used to be 2 years which is  more realistic but probably changed to be on the safe side.

The Vagifem will definately help with the prolapse and more.

VioletAquarius

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 11:05:01 PM »

Thanks all.  Hopefully it is just a hormone glitch and will reduce to 5mm in time once settled.

Dierdre , do you know whether you had a thick womb lining too when you had the bleed?

CLKD , sorry what do you mean by "Which is usual when lining is 7mm with associated spotting", sorry, I didn't understand that bit.

Dierdre

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 08:43:18 AM »

Yes, that's why I had the period, it had been 15 months since the last one. I had another 8 months after that too but didn't go back to the doctors as I knew it was a period and obviously I was still ovulating.. 
Body just having it's last fling  ;D