Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Vagifem and cancer update  (Read 2957 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vagifem and cancer update
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2023, 04:37:10 PM »

Agree sheila99 -  :thankyou:  [how's the lambing been?]

Ayesha

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2023, 06:39:45 PM »

Had my last mammogram a couple of years ago and probably won't go for another, think they end at 70. Reading the stats on the link even mammograms can cause cancer,  I don't understand how they could prove that one. My sister had them regularly, never missed but it didn't pick up her cancer and according to category on the cancer reseach link could have caused it. Most people find the lump or symptom theirselves and that's a fact not a statistic.
If it stresses you so much do you really have to go for these tests? It sounds like this really worries you a lot. Have you had breast cancer before?

My sister-in-law had her last mammogram at 70 but was given the option of continuing if she wanted to. She went for a scan three years later and they found cancer, right out of the blue, no lump and no family history.  She had surgery, radiotherapy and is fine now.
If its going to happen it will happen, scan or no scan, luck of the draw so to speak!

Jules

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2023, 09:44:22 PM »

Im feeling a lot better thanks. Anxiety mushrooms doesnt it. My stomachwas practically sinkingin a loop.
As a recovering anorexic I eat what I fancy at that moment in time.  Recently: in late 60s: I've been warned about type2 diabetes, however - the statins are contributing to raised blood sugar results!

Phobic anxiety has ruined my Life at times ..........  :'( which is why grazing keeps me more or less stable.

When I underwent treatment for breast disease a few people asked whether I would be changing my diet: well no - what's laid down after birth can't be altered although we can make improvements over the years.  Apart from the oncologist saying at my last appt., "No HRT for you Young Lady" nothing was mentioned about lifestyle  ::)

Paternal grandma's advice: A little of what U fancy does you good ;-). 

How R U Jules?

Certain cancers occur at different ages apparently.  Many women live with rather than die from late onset breast disease ........

Jules

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2023, 09:50:46 PM »

In reply, with breast cancer, age increases your risks so no idea why they stop at 70. With cervical smears, risks reduce when hormones drop off.
I will try the Ovestin though the sensation has settled already. And I will always go for health screening.

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2023, 08:50:38 AM »

If you don't try the VA treatment you may well have flares ups which can become worse. 

As for cancer - why would age increase breast disease? 

pepperminty

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2023, 05:04:49 PM »

I think going by the information out there, breast cancer is treated less agressively in those over 65. There are also losts of co morbilities the older you get.
Older people tend to take longer to recover than younger ones, and the cancer tends to grow more slowly the older you get.  Although breast cancer tends to be more agressive the younger you are. As most other cancers are.
But compared with other types of cancer breast cancer is high on the survival rate , but something like pancreatic is one of the worst to get.

PMx 

Jules

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2023, 02:07:26 PM »

If you don't try the VA treatment you may well have flares ups which can become worse. 

As for cancer - why would age increase breast disease?

At the reception of the breast care department at the hospital, there was a poster on the wall showing breast cancer risk going through the ages and it increased as you got older.  I've read the same information elsewhere too

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2023, 03:46:29 PM »

Was there any idea Jules as to who had compiled and from where that information  :-\ ?  A bit of a downer for any1 worried about breast disease, in fact I wouldn't have read the poster  ::).  Same as I don't read the leaflets in medication boxes unless I get side effects ;-)

Did the poster explain what was causing the breast disease within the age groups?  There are too many variables to quote that 1 size might fit all.  Certainly my Aunt in her 80s was diagnosed with slow growing breast disease, died with it not from it aged 93.   ::)

Jules

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2023, 07:48:38 AM »

Im sorry i didn't look at it closely enough. Too scared and youre right, it scared me more. I will try to find out though. 
Was there any idea Jules as to who had compiled and from where that information  :-\ ?  A bit of a downer for any1 worried about breast disease, in fact I wouldn't have read the poster  ::).  Same as I don't read the leaflets in medication boxes unless I get side effects ;-)

Did the poster explain what was causing the breast disease within the age groups?  There are too many variables to quote that 1 size might fit all.  Certainly my Aunt in her 80s was diagnosed with slow growing breast disease, died with it not from it aged 93.   ::)

Jules

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2023, 07:53:29 AM »

Breastcancer.org and the nhs say age is the biggest risk factor. 

"In fact, the aging process is one of the biggest risk factors for breast cancer in women. That's because the longer we live, there are more opportunities for genetic damage (mutations) in the body. And as we age, our bodies are less capable of repairing genetic damage."

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2023, 08:34:24 AM »

Tnx.  However, does it tell the reader how aggressive those cancers might be .........  ::)

Ayesha

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2023, 09:17:42 AM »

Aging is a factor in developing all types of cancer but it tends not to be as aggressive as it would be if younger.
I wasn't worried about my sister-in-law developing breast cancer over 70, it was removed and she had follow up radiotherapy not chemotherapy.

Jules

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2023, 09:34:44 AM »

Im 65. Does the data show that survival rates improve with age? 
Aging is a factor in developing all types of cancer but it tends not to be as aggressive as it would be if younger.
I wasn't worried about my sister-in-law developing breast cancer over 70, it was removed and she had follow up radiotherapy not chemotherapy.

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2023, 11:49:55 AM »

Interesting question!

I'm here - after treatment in the mid-1990s, can't even remember the date  ::) though my appendix was removed on 14.02.1991 - what a Girl needs to do to get chocolate  ;)

Jules

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2023, 12:50:30 PM »

Thats good to hear. Ive known the worst scenario which is probably why i got so anxious. Lost a friend 2 years ago.
Also know someone aged 90 who had a mastectomy last year, was home for tea the same night and doing fine.

I'd come back as a man if I had my time again😁

Interesting question!

I'm here - after treatment in the mid-1990s, can't even remember the date  ::) though my appendix was removed on 14.02.1991 - what a Girl needs to do to get chocolate  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4